Puss 'n Cahoots by Rita Mae Brown

Puss 'n Cahoots (2007)

by Rita Mae Brown

Mysteries that include information about some topic -- saddlebred horses, in this case, don't bother me even when it's about an interest I don't share. I like learning new things. This series has gotten rather preachy, but that's okay on the printed page. You can always skim over that part if you don't happen to agree with the authors. I tried to listen to an audio version of one of the later books and the preaching got me to return it to the library after one CD. (The bit about taxes and horse breeding rang a bell because I worked in Civil Service for about 25 years and experienced all too often policies/regulations written by persons who didn't know enough to make them sensible and didn't have sense enough to consult the persons who knew.)

The theft of an heirloom pin was extremely easy to figure out, the murders less so. I liked the movie star, especially the scene where she told off someone who really had it coming. The animals were fun, although Miss Nasty didn't capture my fancy. I'm one of those mystery fans who is also an sf/fantasy/supernatural fan, so the fact that we were able to understand the animals' conversations, although the human characters couldn't, was fine by me.

One of the things I appreciate about this series is that it includes one of those old-fashioned cast lists. Why, however, did the important animal characters cast list leave out Cookie?

The dust jacket shows the same cat silhouette since book one, only in different colors with differently colored backgrounds. Oh, well, at least it's better than a cat mystery cover with no cat on it. ( )
  JalenV | Feb 6, 2012 |
I've only read one or two of this series, and probably won't pick it up again. It was pleasant enough for bedtime reading, with no fears of staying awake. Yet it wasn't all that engaging. It was interesting in that the animals are the real movers and shakers, with the humans really only peripheral to the story. Supporting characters, really. It wasn't an offensive or repugnant read, just not terribly memorable. ( )
  maedb | Oct 6, 2010 |
This book was not my cup of tea although it wasn't an awful book or story. If it hadn't been given to me, I would never have chosen it myself. First of all, it seemed rather odd to have the animals talking to each other and helping to solve the mystery. At least the animals weren't talking to the people and the people understood them. It just didn't seem to go with the seriousness of the crimes committed - a couple of murders and talking animals? It was also set in a world I have no interest in and therefore could not tell you if it was accurately portrayed. This setting was the world of saddlebred horses and the shows they attend. But, it was well written so I won't bash it. It just wasn't interesting to me. ( )
  jannief | Nov 9, 2009 |
For this outing Fair and Harry are on their honeymoon at a horse show with all of Harry's pets along for the ride. Gone was the cozy feeling of the Post Office and her usual friends. The friendships in this book seemed forced. Too much time was spent on descriptions of horse shows. The dialog was dreadful and stilted as the author preached her political beliefs through her characters. I'm sad to say this is probably the last of the series that I'll read. In the past couple of books the author seems more concerned with preaching her political views rather than telling an engaging story. I miss the mysteries and fun of the earlier books. Heck, I even named my corgi, Tucker. ( )
  Antares1 | May 29, 2008 |
I have read all the Mrs. Murphy series, and this ranks as my favorite. The change of scenery was refreshing, and I particularly liked the character of Miss Nasty. This book was well-rounded, and not quite as preachy as some of Sneaky's other work. ( )
  ahoym8 | Apr 14, 2008 |
Dedicated in loving memory of Paul and Frances Hamilton
Long, golden rays raked the rolling hills surrounding Shelbyville, Kentucky, on Wednesday, August 2.

Instead of a proper second honeymoon, the newly remarried Harry and Fair Haristeen leave cozy Crozet, Virginia, for Shelbyville, Kentucky, site of the famous saddlebred horse show. There they’ll visit dear friends Joan Hamilton and Larry Hodge and enjoy a week among some of the finest horses, trainers, and riders in the country.

But soon after they arrive, events veer mysteriously–and murderously–off course. First, Joan’s ruby and sapphire horsehead heirloom pin is stolen from her private box at the fairgrounds. Next, a young film star’s prize three-gaited mare disappears into thin air. There is no lack of suspects, from hotheaded trainers and jealous rivals to vicious ex-spouses. Then a body is found flagrantly murdered and it’s obvious to Harry that someone at Shelbyville is sending a strong message: winning is only secondary–first prize is survival.

As Harry searches for clues, rediscovers life as a married woman, and deals with her upcoming fortieth birthday, her four-legged detective friends are already on the case. But is animal instinct any match for human depravity? Especially with two humans to protect and a killer on the prowl?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:06 -0400)

Traveling to the Saddlebred show in Shelbyville, Kentucky, Harry and Fair Haristeen stumble into the midst of a crime wave when their hosts are robbed on the day they arrive, a valuable mare is stolen, and a groom is found murdered.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible