Puss 'n Cahoots: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery (Mrs.…

Puss 'n Cahoots: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery (Mrs. Murphy Mysteries) (2007)

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown (Co-author)

Series: Mrs. Murphy Mysteries (15)

Since I came in late to the series it took a bit to get straight who was who, animal or people.
An enjoyable mystery. The monkey was like I've heard pet monkeys are. ( )
  nx74defiant | May 7, 2017 |
couldn't get into this at all ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 10, 2016 |
couldn't get into this at all ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 5, 2016 |
Mysteries that include information about some topic -- saddlebred horses, in this case, don't bother me even when it's about an interest I don't share. I like learning new things. This series has gotten rather preachy, but that's okay on the printed page. You can always skim over that part if you don't happen to agree with the authors. I tried to listen to an audio version of one of the later books and the preaching got me to return it to the library after one CD. (The bit about taxes and horse breeding rang a bell because I worked in Civil Service for about 25 years and experienced all too often policies/regulations written by persons who didn't know enough to make them sensible and didn't have sense enough to consult the persons who knew.)

The theft of an heirloom pin was extremely easy to figure out, the murders less so. I liked the movie star, especially the scene where she told off someone who really had it coming. The animals were fun, although Miss Nasty didn't capture my fancy. I'm one of those mystery fans who is also an sf/fantasy/supernatural fan, so the fact that we were able to understand the animals' conversations, although the human characters couldn't, was fine by me.

One of the things I appreciate about this series is that it includes one of those old-fashioned cast lists. Why, however, did the important animal characters cast list leave out Cookie?

The dust jacket shows the same cat silhouette since book one, only in different colors with differently colored backgrounds. Oh, well, at least it's better than a cat mystery cover with no cat on it. ( )
  JalenV | Feb 6, 2012 |
I've only read one or two of this series, and probably won't pick it up again. It was pleasant enough for bedtime reading, with no fears of staying awake. Yet it wasn't all that engaging. It was interesting in that the animals are the real movers and shakers, with the humans really only peripheral to the story. Supporting characters, really. It wasn't an offensive or repugnant read, just not terribly memorable. ( )
  maedb | Oct 6, 2010 |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieCo-authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gellatly, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Price, Denise IvieCat author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unruh, JackCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated in loving memory of Paul and Frances Hamilton
Long, golden rays raked the rolling hills surrounding Shelbyville, Kentucky, on Wednesday, August 2.

Instead of a proper second honeymoon, the newly remarried Harry and Fair Haristeen leave cozy Crozet, Virginia, for Shelbyville, Kentucky, site of the famous saddlebred horse show. There they’ll visit dear friends Joan Hamilton and Larry Hodge and enjoy a week among some of the finest horses, trainers, and riders in the country.

But soon after they arrive, events veer mysteriously–and murderously–off course. First, Joan’s ruby and sapphire horsehead heirloom pin is stolen from her private box at the fairgrounds. Next, a young film star’s prize three-gaited mare disappears into thin air. There is no lack of suspects, from hotheaded trainers and jealous rivals to vicious ex-spouses. Then a body is found flagrantly murdered and it’s obvious to Harry that someone at Shelbyville is sending a strong message: winning is only secondary–first prize is survival.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:39 -0400)

"Rita Mae Brown is back in the saddle with her feline partner-in-crime, Sneaky Pie Brown, in this latest mystery centering on a killing in horse country. This time Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen, the sleuthing cats Mrs. Murphy and Pewter, along with corgi Tee Tucker, must use a little horse sense to catch a runaway killer." "Instead of a proper second honeymoon, the newly remarried Harry and Fair Haristeen leave cozy Crozet, Virginia, for Shelbyville, Kentucky, site of the famous saddlebred horse show. There they'll visit dear friends Joan Hamilton and Larry Hodge and enjoy a week among some of the finest horses, trainers, and riders in the country.""But soon after they arrive, events veer mysteriously - and murderously - off course. First, Joan's ruby and sapphire horsehead heirloom pin is stolen from her private box at the fairgrounds. Next, a young film star's prize three-gaited mare disappears into thin air. There is no lack of suspects, from hotheaded trainers and jealous rivals to vicious ex-spouses. Then a body is found flagrantly murdered and it's obvious to Harry that someone at Shelbyville is sending a strong message: winning is only secondary - first prize is survival." "As Harry searches for clues, rediscovers life as a married woman, and deals with her upcoming fortieth birthday, her four-legged detective friends are already on the case. But is animal instinct any match for human depravity? Especially with two humans to protect and a killer on the prowl?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,745,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible