Iron Lake: A Novel (Cork O'Connor) by…

Iron Lake: A Novel (Cork O'Connor) (edition 2009)

by William Kent Krueger

6203915,695 (3.77)123
Member:nookster
Title:Iron Lake: A Novel (Cork O'Connor)
Authors:William Kent Krueger
Info:Atria Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:nook ebook
Rating:***1/2
Tags:nookC

Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: similar remote locations, small towns near Indian reservations, both are cold weather settings
    Ice Hunter by Joseph Heywood (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: Great "place based" stories

too many bodies, not enough subtlety ( )
  seasidereader | Apr 26, 2015 |
In this first mystery of the Cork O'Connor series, we learn some background about why he's no longer sheriff and why his marriage has fallen apart. While we care about his troubles, the action takes over after a teen boy goes missing and then a judge is found dead of apparent suicide. Cork finds himself in the middles of a chain of events with far-reaching implications, and certainly his three children, his lover, and his wife are all drastically impacted. ( )
  sleahey | Mar 30, 2015 |
Corcoran "Cork" O'Connor is part-Ojibwe, mostly Irish is the former sheriff of Aurora, Minnesota. One winter, a young boy goes missing from his paper route, and a judge is found dead in his home - was it suicide, or murder? Cork isn't part of this investigation, but can't help stick his nose it when the facts don't quite add up.

This first book in a long-running series is a bit uneven. I really enjoyed the descriptions of lake country in Minnesota and frigid winter. I liked many of the characters I was introduced to; they weren't perfect, but I could root for them, just like the many people in Three Pines in the Inspector Gamache series. But about halfway through the plot starting twisted and turning so much I felt somewhat strung along by the author's machinations rather than seeing a mystery unfold through the investigation. It's a first book and shows, but I would still continue reading and will recommend it to mystery fans who enjoy a strong sense of place. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 11, 2015 |
I am a big fan of CJ Box and so a friend recommended this Krueger series to me. I really enjoyed the first book and agree the two are very similar. Almost too similar. I listened to the audio version which uses the same narrator, David Chandler, and I often found myself forgetting if I was in Minnesota with Cork O'Connor or in Wyoming with Joe Pickett (don't even get me started on both books have a character named Joe/Jo). Odd though since I don't have this problem with other narrators who read for multiple authors (ex. Scott Brick). I already have the 2nd book, bought them as a package deal from Audible, so I will be continuing for sure since I did really like the storyline and characters...not that there's many left after that first book! ( )
  she_climber | Nov 19, 2014 |
Pretty good story, but with some weaknesses: I didn't like how the author sets you up to like Cork's girlfriend, only to kill her off. Also it's hard to believe that Cork's wife, Jo, could be so blind to her lover, Sandy Parent's, cruel, ultimately murderous side. ( )
  DavidO1103 | Oct 17, 2014 |
Cork O'Connor first heard the story of the Windigo in the fall of 1965 when he hunted the big bear with Sam Winter Moon.

Part Irish, part Anishinaabe Indian, Corcoran "Cork" O'Connor is the former sheriff of Aurora, Minnesota - population 3,752. Embittered by his "former" status, and the marital meltdown that has separated him from his children, Cork gets by on heavy doses of caffeine, nicotine, and guilt. Once a cop on Chicago's South Side, he's found that there's not much left in life that can shock him. But when the town's judge, Robert Parrant, is brutally murdered, and Eagle Scout Paul LeBeau is reported missing, Cork takes on a mind-jolting case of conspiracy, corruption and scandal.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671016970, Mass Market Paperback)

Short story specialist William Kent Krueger brings a fresh take on some familiar elements and a strong sense of atmosphere to his first mystery. Chicago cop Cork O'Connor and his lawyer-wife Jo moved back to his northern Minnesota hometown of Aurora to improve their quality of life, but it hasn't worked. Cork became the local sheriff, but lost an election after a disagreement between local Indians and whites over fishing rights turned deadly. Then his marriage broke up, with Jo becoming a successful advocate for tribal rights and Cork reduced to running a scruffy restaurant and gift shop. As the book starts, Cork is feeling guilty about sleeping with a warm-hearted waitress and still hoping to get back with Jo and their three children. Drawn into the disappearance of an Indian newsboy, which coincides with the apparent suicide of a former judge, O'Connor clashes with a newly elected senator--the judge's son and Jo's lover--as well as with the town's new sheriff and some tribal leaders getting rich on gambling concessions. Krueger quickly makes Cork a real person beneath his genre garments, mostly by showing him trying to deal with the needs of his two very different teenage daughters. And the author's deft eye for the details of everyday life brings the town and its peculiar problems to vivid life. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:56 -0400)

A hated judge is found dead in suspicious circumstances in a town in Minnesota with an Indian casino and a young Ojibwa Indian leaves home in a hurry. Former sheriff Cork O'Connor investigates if there is a connection.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,867,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible