The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus

by Alan Moore

French (1)  English (1)  All (2)
I'm going to count this toward my Books I Should Have Read Already theme for 2016. because I've had it on my iPad for a few years now, never able to get far into issue #1 of volume #1, and although I wouldn't count it as a "book", I'm given to understand that some refer to these comics as graphic "novels". I was more than somewhat interested because unlike seemingly most of the viewers, I didn't think the 2003 movie that bad. Now, having gone through the first two volumes of the comic book, the movie while only so-so, in my opinion actually improved on the source.

I read to learn, be entertained, or as a diversion (...never as an "escape"; a diversion is not an escape.) I learned something again with this diversion that I already knew: I ceased to be entertained by comic books more than forty years ago. Now, I like the visual components of steampunk. I suppose I should have liked this "classic". But Moore's stories are obtuse, disconcertingly inconsistent and poorly crafted. And more disturbingly, takes a bizarre turn for the prurient in the fourth and fifth installments of Volume #2. I suppose that was to appeal to the adolescent psyches of a target audience? O'Neill's illustrations range from quite good to WTH? bad. Mostly toward the latter.

So much for comic books. Seems there was a good reason for me to put off this one. Instead of comic books, I should probably stick to books of comics like the Far Side collection. Smarter. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Dover, May 1898.

This is a crossover steampunk fiction mythology. The comic takes characters from both traditional and modern day literature, and puts them in a single shared universe. In this amazingly imaginative tale, Allan Quatermain, Mina Murray, Captain Nemo, Dr. Henry Jekyll and Edward Hyde, and Hawley Griffin, the Invisible Man unite to defeat a deadly menace to London and all Britons! Then, one month later, the skies over England are filled with flaming rockets as Mars launches the first salvo of an invasion. Only our stalwart adventurers can save mother England and the Earth itself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,739,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible