The River Between Us by Richard Peck

The River Between Us (2003)

by Richard Peck

The perspective of women, especially in the border states, is important, too. Very little about politics and battles, thank goodness. I learned much about the customs of the French Creole, with the tignon, and about the river communities. Good supplement to Mark Twain's Mississippi-based stories, even better than to Red Badge of Courage.

Can be read as just a great story with rich characters, gracefully told, never mind that it's historical fiction, leavened with just enough tiny bits of humor to make all the sad and frustrating events & situations palatable. Good author's note, though, too, if one does want to learn more.

Oh, edit, forgot to say - the mysticism bit is annoying and, as best I can see, unnecessary. If Cass really had that gift, this would be a fantasy or a ghost story, and something would be *done* with it. As is, it detracts from the rest of the book which reads as true and accurate. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
VOYA Ratings: 5Q, 4P

Time is truly a twisting and mysterious arc which flows through and weaves many lives together into the tapestry of history. Though the powerful events of the past can quickly be forgotten, they live on in the way they influenced the lives of those who experienced them and how they in turn shaped the present. Though we may not be aware of them, the events of the past reach forward through time and have helped to make us into who we are today.

In his book The River Between Us, Richard Peck masterfully crafts a compelling tale which takes place during the start of the Civil War. Forgoing the grand battles and famous figures from the time, Peck tells the story of the Pruitt family as they are swept up into the conflict and how they are forever changed by the arrival of two unexpected guests fleeing the South.

Richly compelling and powerfully real, this book's tale is a true to life story told from the perspective of individuals who were caught between hopes, loyalty, and - for better or worse - losing the only life they had ever known. ( )
  abrial2433 | Jun 8, 2014 |
The writing is generally very smooth in this novel. The prose is spare, with details, and a compelling narrator and set-up for the story. I liked the story within a story set-up of the novel and I think teens would immediately be drawn into the story, which is why I rate the novel a 4Q. However, it is historical fiction, which tends to attract some teens and not all of them. However, I think the love story angle would make a compelling hook for many teens, so I think it is a 3P in terns of popularity.
  superlibrarian88 | Jun 8, 2014 |
4Q, 3P: Peck did a great job of staying true to the Civil War era and history. The story is full of so much detail of the town, people, etc. I only gave it a 3P because I've never seen that many teens who are interested in historical fiction. With some pushing, this book could do really good in a YA collection.

The book contains a story within another story really. The initial story takes places in 1916 and is about Howard who is visiting Southern Illinois to meet is grandparents and some other really, really old relatives. Along the way Howard learns the story of those relatives, including Tilly, Howard's grandmother. The second story is Tilly's coming of age story.

Because the story takes place in the South, there was plenty of regional dialect and phrases. Luckily for me, my family is from the South, so I had no problem hearing the different accents in my head. However, I can imagine that this element was lost for many readers. The french stuff from Delphine completely lost me though. ( )
  lmrayvon | Apr 30, 2014 |
I found this book to be interesting and engaging from the vary beginning. The River Between Us is a staple among those readers interested in historical fiction, particularly during the Civil War time period. Except for a random switch of narrators without warning, this book is an easy read that does not overwhelm the reader with archaic language or super in-depth descriptions. ( )
  abcrane | Apr 21, 2014 |
To me, the best part was that we'd make the trip by car. When I say car, I mean a Ford, of course, a Model T touring car, and they don't make them like that anymore.

The year is 1861. Civil war is imminent and Tilly Pruitt's brother, Noah, is eager to go and fight on the side of the North. With her father long gone, Tilly, her sister, and their mother struggle to make ends meet and hold the dwindling Pruitt family together. Then one night a mysterious girl arrives on a steamboat bound for St. Louis. Delphine is unlike anyone the small river town has even seen. Mrs. Pruitt agrees to take Delphine and her dark, silent traveling companion in as boarders. No one in town knows what to make of the two strangers, and so the rumors fly. Is Delphine's companion a slave? Could they be spies for the South? Are the Pruitts traitors? A masterful tale of mystery and war, and a breathtaking portrait of the lifelong impact one person can have on another.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

During the early days of the Civil War, the Pruitt family takes in two mysterious young ladies who have fled New Orleans to come north to Illinois.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,080,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible