Moral Disorder and Other Stories by Margaret…

Moral Disorder and Other Stories (2006)

by Margaret Atwood

Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories by Maureen F. McHugh (smiteme)
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both tell the life story of a woman in short story form, with compassion and an unflinching eye.
    Runaway by Alice Munro (hbsweet)

English (53)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  All (56)
I enjoyed how the book was character-driven, how each chapter could stand on its own as a "short story" and still be connected to complete a larger narrative and character history. ( )
  ZaraD.Garcia-Alvarez | Jun 6, 2017 |
Lots of interesting short stories. For Atwood fans or those simply wanting a taste of her genius. ( )
  essjay1 | Jan 11, 2017 |
Strong writing, but the subject of many of the stories was only mildly interesting to me. It seemed too domestic on the whole, with the main character taking up residence on a farm. There were some notable exceptions though - “The Headless Horseman”, “My Last Duchess”, “The Labrador Fiasco”, and “The Boys at the Lab” are all very good.

Just this quote, on aging:
“People she loves – people her own age – a lot of those people have died. Most of them have died. Hardly any of them are left. She wants to know about each death as it happens, but then she won’t mention those people again. She’s got them safe, inside her head somewhere, in a form she prefers. She’s got them back in the layer of time where they belong.” ( )
1 vote gbill | Oct 11, 2016 |
This book was published as a collection of short stories, but it’s really more of a fragmented novel because all of the stories follow the same character throughout her life. We see Nell in childhood dealing with an unexpected baby sister, in young adulthood trying to find her place in the world and a companion to share it with, and in middle age trying to cope with aging parents.

While it’s not one of Atwood’s best books (mainly because she doesn’t develop the individual stories as fully as she would a complete novel), it is quite good. This is probably my favorite of all of her collections of short stories. The characters are so quirky that you can’t identify with them, but at the same time, their quirks are what make them believable. It’s a relatively short, quick read; well worth picking up for any Atwood fan. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I am usually a big Atwood fan. Some of the books she has written have been masterpieces in my opinion. But the last couple I have tried, Oryx & Crake, Edible Woman, and now this one, have just bored me to tears. I don't know how these are so much different from her other stories but I just couldn't get through them at all. I kept thinking this one would get better but the characters' lives were so boorrriiinnggg. I don't care about how many eggs the chicken laid or if the weasel got in the barn again... Just not enough character development or action or something. If you haven't read much Atwood, definitely read the Handmaid's Tale, Blind Assassin, Surfacing, and Cat's Eye. Skip this one. It's a snoozer. ( )
  voracious | May 4, 2015 |

Atwood, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
It's morning.

Margaret Atwood’s latest brilliant collection of short stories follows the life of a single character, seen as a girl growing up the 1930s, a young woman in the 50s and 60s, and, in the present day, half of a couple, no longer young, reflecting on the new state of the world. Each story focuses on the ways relationships transform a character’s life: a woman’s complex love for a married man, the grief upon the death of parents and the joy with the birth of children, the realization of what growing old with someone you love really means. By turns funny, lyrical, incisive, earthy, shocking, and deeply personal, Moral Disorder displays Atwood’s celebrated storytelling gifts and unmistakable style to their best advantage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:18 -0400)

A collection of short fiction presents eleven stories that capture important moments in the course of a life and in the lives intertwined with it, in a volume that ranges from the 1930s to the 1980s.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible