I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts…

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts On Being a Woman (Vintage) (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Nora Ephron

2,056None3,222 (3.45)93
Member:snoangel
Title:I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts On Being a Woman (Vintage)
Authors:Nora Ephron
Info:Vintage (2008), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:2011, Your library
Rating:***

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (2006)

(8) 2006 (13) 2007 (20) 2008 (18) aging (99) audio (10) audiobook (22) autobiography (15) biography (28) book club (14) comedy (9) ebook (10) essays (164) fiction (9) funny (8) humor (234) library (10) memoir (137) New York (14) New York City (20) NF (9) non-fiction (183) Nora Ephron (11) own (8) read (40) read in 2007 (11) read in 2008 (10) to-read (23) unread (9) women (85)

English (90)  Finnish (1)  All languages (91)
Nora Ephron was a talented and prolific writer.
In this book, Ephron has compiled a series of mini stories, essays in a way, on many of the subjects woman concern themselves with as they age. I am certainly in this camp. The part about reading lasses and the slack in the skin around her neck hit home. But it also had me laughing.

“The neck is a dead giveaway. Our faces are lies and our necks are the truth. You have to cut open a redwood tree to see how old it is, but you wouldn’t have to do that if it had a neck.”

This book also addresses exercise routines we hate, hairstyles, children, cooking and purses. It’s honest, it’s funny and thought provoking. Life is what you make of it and she certainly had a full life.

nora ephron 2

The first book I read by Ephron was Heartburn. This was a book selection for the Cook the Books Club and I did manage to get in under the wire for the deadline. I wrote about Heartburn HERE at Squirrel Head Manor.

More about the author:

In addition to I Feel Bad About My Neck Nora Ephron wrote as well as Heartburn, Crazy Salad, Wallflower at the Orgy, and Scribble Scribble. She directed the movie Julie & Julia and received Academy Award nominations for Best Original Screenplay for When Harry Met Sally. She also directed Silkwood and Sleepless in Seattle. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Oct 31, 2013 |
I think this would have been more relevant to me if I were older. However, it was still quite entertaining. I do not see a person of the male persuasion enjoying it so much, as it is basically a comical look at becoming an older woman. It started off really funny, and I had high hopes for the book, but I was somewhat let down, as none of the stories in the last three fourths of the book could seem to match up with the first few selections. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
Like most New York women of a certain ago, I feel like Nora and I would have gotten along, had we ever met. That's no longer possible now that she's gone, and may not have been possible in real life. In any case, her writings remain. These essays on urban life, including aging, food, and apartments, were witty and engaging. I could not bring myself to read the last one about dying, as it was too close to her actual demise. ( )
  ennie | Oct 5, 2013 |
There is not much to say about this book but that is not to say that this is not a good book. It is.

It is clever and funny and true-to-life. Even though she is an incredibly wealthy woman, she does not dote upon those or make them the point of her story ([a:Joan Didion|238|Joan Didion|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1335450818p2/238.jpg], cough cough). She comes across humble and ordinary.

'Twas only in this book that I learned has written some of my favorite movies (Including, When Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle..etc).

I found her story on Death to be extremely sad. She talks of the unexpected death of her close friend, just over 60. She talks of how the lousiest place to meet up with old friends is at a funeral. How sad, to read this book just 3 weeks and 2 days after Ms. Ephron passed away at 71. It gave that story a different feel which likely is what added a stronger layer of emotion to a whimsical and funny little book.

tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Subtitled "And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman," I Feel Bad About My Neck is a collection of mostly-funny essays by famed screenwriter Nora Ephron. She was 65 when the book was published in 2006, and many of the essays deal with aging (gracefully).

I'm probably not the right audience for this book. There's an essay "On Maintenance," about all the things women do to keep aging at bay, but (at 56) I am and have always been very low maintenance. Yes, I dye my hair, but the about the only other thing I do is put Oil of Olay on my face. No manicures or pedicures, thank you. I feel pretty good about how my neck looks at my age. I only have two small purses (albeit Coach leather), and the contents are very well organized. I also couldn't relate to the essays on life in New York City (such as renting a $10K apartment there). Other essays address cookbooks, parenting, Bill Clinton, and JFK.

The final essay, "Considering the Alternative," is a rather morbid one about death. Rather poignant, considering that Ephron died of complications of leukemia, just six years after this book was published. She wrote the essay about turning 60, which I just don't think of as old anymore.

Bottom line: this was a 137-page quick, fun read; but not especially deep.

© Amanda Pape - 2013

[I won this in a book blog contest. It will be donated to a library Friends group. This review also appears on my blog, Bookin' It.] ( )
3 vote riofriotex | Sep 5, 2013 |
For Nick, Jacob, and Max
I feel bad about my neck.

With her disarming, intimate, completely accessible voice, and dry sense of humor, Nora Ephron shares with us her ups and downs in I Feel Bad About My Neck, a candid, hilarious look at women who are getting older and dealing with the tribulations of maintenance, menopause, empty nests, and life itself.

The woman who brought us When Harry Met Sally . . . , Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, and Bewitched, and the author of best sellers Heartburn, Scribble Scribble, and Crazy Salad, discusses everything—from how much she hates her purse to how much time she spends attempting to stop the clock: the hair dye, the treadmill, the lotions and creams that promise to slow the aging process but never do. Oh, and she can’t stand the way her neck looks. But her dermatologist tells her there’s no quick fix for that.

Ephron chronicles her life as an obsessed cook, passionate city dweller, and hapless parent.  She recounts her anything-but-glamorous days as a White House intern during the JFK years (“I am probably the only young woman who ever worked in the Kennedy White House that the President did not make a pass at”) and shares how she fell in and out of love with Bill Clinton—from a distance, of course.  But mostly she speaks frankly and uproariously about life as a woman of a certain age.

Utterly courageous, wickedly funny, and unexpectedly moving in its truth telling, I Feel Bad About My Neck is a book of wisdom, advice, and laugh-out-loud moments, a scrumptious, irresistible treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:39 -0400)

A collection of essays offers a humorous look at the ups and downs of being a woman of a certain age, discussing the tribulations of maintenance and trying to stop the clock, menopause, and empty nests.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible