I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts…

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts On Being a Woman (Vintage) (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Nora Ephron

Member:snoangel
Title:I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts On Being a Woman (Vintage)
Authors:Nora Ephron
Info:Vintage (2008), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:2011, Your library
Rating:***

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (2006)

English (96)  Finnish (1)  All languages (97)
12/15/2011
  | Feb 27, 2015 | edit |
Probably would've enjoyed this one a lot more if I was in my 40 or 50's as a lot of what Ephron discusses is different aspects of being that age. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Nothing earth-shattering here, but chock-full of funny fluff. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
If you remember laughing your fool head off when watching "When Harry Met Sally" you know how funny Nora Ephron can be. She delivers in this book, too. I don't know whether the reader must be over the age of 45 to "get the jokes" but since I am I laughed out loud more than once, and was tempted to pick up the phone to read a section or two to friends I knew this is a humorist I love having in my life. Now that is a good book.

She also appreciates a good book: "There's something called the rapture of the deep, and it refers to what happens when a deep-sea diver spends too much time at the bottom of the ocean and can't tell which way is up. When he surfaces, he's liable to have a condition called the bends, where the body can't adapt to the oxygen levels in the atmosphere. All this happens to me when I surface from a great book."

Isn't that a great way to describe the feeling of having to come back to reality when it is past time to put that book down? ( )
1 vote maggie1944 | Aug 9, 2014 |
Any book by the late Nora Ephron is a 5 star as she bring dry humor and thoughts of being a woman to the forefront. What we are thinking, she is. writing and keeps us laughing and smiling on each page. Obsessed cook, hapless parent, and other dilemmas facing all of us are all told in Ephon's disarming and intimate style of writing. Wisdom, advice, truth telling and laugh out loud moments will provide women of a certain age a moment of believing someone understands us. I heartily recommend all and any of her books. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | May 24, 2014 |
For Nick, Jacob, and Max
I feel bad about my neck.

With her disarming, intimate, completely accessible voice, and dry sense of humor, Nora Ephron shares with us her ups and downs in I Feel Bad About My Neck, a candid, hilarious look at women who are getting older and dealing with the tribulations of maintenance, menopause, empty nests, and life itself.

The woman who brought us When Harry Met Sally . . . , Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, and Bewitched, and the author of best sellers Heartburn, Scribble Scribble, and Crazy Salad, discusses everything—from how much she hates her purse to how much time she spends attempting to stop the clock: the hair dye, the treadmill, the lotions and creams that promise to slow the aging process but never do. Oh, and she can’t stand the way her neck looks. But her dermatologist tells her there’s no quick fix for that.

Ephron chronicles her life as an obsessed cook, passionate city dweller, and hapless parent.  She recounts her anything-but-glamorous days as a White House intern during the JFK years (“I am probably the only young woman who ever worked in the Kennedy White House that the President did not make a pass at”) and shares how she fell in and out of love with Bill Clinton—from a distance, of course.  But mostly she speaks frankly and uproariously about life as a woman of a certain age.

Utterly courageous, wickedly funny, and unexpectedly moving in its truth telling, I Feel Bad About My Neck is a book of wisdom, advice, and laugh-out-loud moments, a scrumptious, irresistible treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:39 -0400)

A collection of essays offers a humorous look at the ups and downs of being a woman of a certain age, discussing the tribulations of maintenance and trying to stop the clock, menopause, and empty nests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,750,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible