I Feel bad about My Neck by Nora Ephron

I Feel bad about My Neck (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Nora Ephron

Member:TimBazzett
Title:I Feel bad about My Neck
Authors:Nora Ephron
Info:Knopf (2007), Hardcover
Rating:****1/2
Tags:non-fiction, essays, humor, marriage, memoir, womens studies, nora ephron

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (2006)

English (98)  Finnish (1)  All languages (99)
12/15/2011
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
Ephron herself reads this series of essays on being a woman, most specifically about being a New York woman. She is insightful and funny, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, in telling of her cooking, her body issues, decorating, apartments, and friends. It struck me clearly, though, what she considers normal is so far out of the daily routines of the women I know that it makes her seem almost a different species. And no, although I'm getting older I've never looked with hatred on my neck and don't know a soul who gives competitive dinner parties. So in some ways, not only was it amusing but it was culturally enlightening. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 1, 2015 |
12/15/2011
  JMlibrarian | Feb 27, 2015 |
Probably would've enjoyed this one a lot more if I was in my 40 or 50's as a lot of what Ephron discusses is different aspects of being that age. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Nothing earth-shattering here, but chock-full of funny fluff. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
For Nick, Jacob, and Max
I feel bad about my neck.

With her disarming, intimate, completely accessible voice, and dry sense of humor, Nora Ephron shares with us her ups and downs in I Feel Bad About My Neck, a candid, hilarious look at women who are getting older and dealing with the tribulations of maintenance, menopause, empty nests, and life itself.

The woman who brought us When Harry Met Sally . . . , Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, and Bewitched, and the author of best sellers Heartburn, Scribble Scribble, and Crazy Salad, discusses everything—from how much she hates her purse to how much time she spends attempting to stop the clock: the hair dye, the treadmill, the lotions and creams that promise to slow the aging process but never do. Oh, and she can’t stand the way her neck looks. But her dermatologist tells her there’s no quick fix for that.

Ephron chronicles her life as an obsessed cook, passionate city dweller, and hapless parent.  She recounts her anything-but-glamorous days as a White House intern during the JFK years (“I am probably the only young woman who ever worked in the Kennedy White House that the President did not make a pass at”) and shares how she fell in and out of love with Bill Clinton—from a distance, of course.  But mostly she speaks frankly and uproariously about life as a woman of a certain age.

Utterly courageous, wickedly funny, and unexpectedly moving in its truth telling, I Feel Bad About My Neck is a book of wisdom, advice, and laugh-out-loud moments, a scrumptious, irresistible treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:39 -0400)

A collection of essays offers a humorous look at the ups and downs of being a woman of a certain age, discussing the tribulations of maintenance and trying to stop the clock, menopause, and empty nests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,294,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible