I Feel bad about My Neck by Nora Ephron

I Feel bad about My Neck (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Nora Ephron

Member:TimBazzett
Title:I Feel bad about My Neck
Authors:Nora Ephron
Info:Knopf (2007), Hardcover
Rating:****1/2
Tags:non-fiction, essays, humor, marriage, memoir, womens studies, nora ephron

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (2006)

English (92)  Finnish (1)  All languages (93)
Any book by the late Nora Ephron is a 5 star as she bring dry humor and thoughts of being a woman to the forefront. What we are thinking, she is. writing and keeps us laughing and smiling on each page. Obsessed cook, hapless parent, and other dilemmas facing all of us are all told in Ephon's disarming and intimate style of writing. Wisdom, advice, truth telling and laugh out loud moments will provide women of a certain age a moment of believing someone understands us. I heartily recommend all and any of her books. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | May 24, 2014 |
With the death of Nora Ephron, I finally read this book that I had downloaded months ago. There is more to this book than the title infers. It's autobiographical, and I wanted to get to know the person who made me laugh and cry at the same time in so many movies. Some of this book is, perhaps, frivolous, but the ending makes up for it. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
Nora Ephron was a talented and prolific writer.
In this book, Ephron has compiled a series of mini stories, essays in a way, on many of the subjects woman concern themselves with as they age. I am certainly in this camp. The part about reading lasses and the slack in the skin around her neck hit home. But it also had me laughing.

“The neck is a dead giveaway. Our faces are lies and our necks are the truth. You have to cut open a redwood tree to see how old it is, but you wouldn’t have to do that if it had a neck.”

This book also addresses exercise routines we hate, hairstyles, children, cooking and purses. It’s honest, it’s funny and thought provoking. Life is what you make of it and she certainly had a full life.

nora ephron 2

The first book I read by Ephron was Heartburn. This was a book selection for the Cook the Books Club and I did manage to get in under the wire for the deadline. I wrote about Heartburn HERE at Squirrel Head Manor.

More about the author:

In addition to I Feel Bad About My Neck Nora Ephron wrote as well as Heartburn, Crazy Salad, Wallflower at the Orgy, and Scribble Scribble. She directed the movie Julie & Julia and received Academy Award nominations for Best Original Screenplay for When Harry Met Sally. She also directed Silkwood and Sleepless in Seattle. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Oct 31, 2013 |
I think this would have been more relevant to me if I were older. However, it was still quite entertaining. I do not see a person of the male persuasion enjoying it so much, as it is basically a comical look at becoming an older woman. It started off really funny, and I had high hopes for the book, but I was somewhat let down, as none of the stories in the last three fourths of the book could seem to match up with the first few selections. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
Like most New York women of a certain ago, I feel like Nora and I would have gotten along, had we ever met. That's no longer possible now that she's gone, and may not have been possible in real life. In any case, her writings remain. These essays on urban life, including aging, food, and apartments, were witty and engaging. I could not bring myself to read the last one about dying, as it was too close to her actual demise. ( )
  ennie | Oct 5, 2013 |
For Nick, Jacob, and Max
I feel bad about my neck.

With her disarming, intimate, completely accessible voice, and dry sense of humor, Nora Ephron shares with us her ups and downs in I Feel Bad About My Neck, a candid, hilarious look at women who are getting older and dealing with the tribulations of maintenance, menopause, empty nests, and life itself.

The woman who brought us When Harry Met Sally . . . , Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, and Bewitched, and the author of best sellers Heartburn, Scribble Scribble, and Crazy Salad, discusses everything—from how much she hates her purse to how much time she spends attempting to stop the clock: the hair dye, the treadmill, the lotions and creams that promise to slow the aging process but never do. Oh, and she can’t stand the way her neck looks. But her dermatologist tells her there’s no quick fix for that.

Ephron chronicles her life as an obsessed cook, passionate city dweller, and hapless parent.  She recounts her anything-but-glamorous days as a White House intern during the JFK years (“I am probably the only young woman who ever worked in the Kennedy White House that the President did not make a pass at”) and shares how she fell in and out of love with Bill Clinton—from a distance, of course.  But mostly she speaks frankly and uproariously about life as a woman of a certain age.

Utterly courageous, wickedly funny, and unexpectedly moving in its truth telling, I Feel Bad About My Neck is a book of wisdom, advice, and laugh-out-loud moments, a scrumptious, irresistible treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:39 -0400)

A collection of essays offers a humorous look at the ups and downs of being a woman of a certain age, discussing the tribulations of maintenance and trying to stop the clock, menopause, and empty nests.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible