I Feel bad about My Neck by Nora Ephron

I Feel bad about My Neck (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Nora Ephron

Title:I Feel bad about My Neck
Authors:Nora Ephron
Info:Knopf (2007), Hardcover
Tags:non-fiction, essays, humor, marriage, memoir, womens studies, nora ephron

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron (2006)

Heartburn by Nora Ephron (kc.teadrinker)
    Yes Please by Amy Poehler (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: By turns touching and hilarious, these memoirs relate both what it is to be a woman and what Hollywood is really like. Celebrities -- they really are just like us!

English (100)  Finnish (1)  All languages (101)
62. I Feel Bad About My Neck : And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman (Audio) by Nora Ephron, read by the author (2006, 3:50, 160 pages on paper, listened Sep 15-18)
Rating: 4 starts

I have spent a ridiculously large amount of time wondering whether I should be embarrassed about listening to a book titled "Thoughts on Being a Woman" and then, in turn, wondering what is wrong with me that I even think about this, what all this says about what I previously thought was a personal blindness-to-the-sexes kind of outlook on people.

Anyway, outside that little personal issue, the book was terrific, probably ten times better in audio while sitting in traffic, then in text form. Traffic isn't supposed to be enjoyable. She was just a very direct and funny personality, with what comes across as a natural charm.

She talks a lot about New York, and about her life and history and her various marriages, and about getting old and all the efforts she goes through to try to do what is expected of woman her age. A lot of other stuff too. I liked that she touches, although only a tiny bit, on things that led her to journalism, and that later led her away from it. ( )
  dchaikin | Sep 26, 2015 |
Expecting something great. Just OK. ( )
  afinch11 | Apr 25, 2015 |
Essays about being a woman and growing older. Some of these were hilarious ("I Hate My Purse" had me gigglesnorting to myself throughout), some were interesting, and some didn't hold my attention terribly strongly. A pleasant way to pass a few hours. ( )
  lycomayflower | Apr 22, 2015 |
Ephron herself reads this series of essays on being a woman, most specifically about being a New York woman. She is insightful and funny, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, in telling of her cooking, her body issues, decorating, apartments, and friends. It struck me clearly, though, what she considers normal is so far out of the daily routines of the women I know that it makes her seem almost a different species. And no, although I'm getting older I've never looked with hatred on my neck and don't know a soul who gives competitive dinner parties. So in some ways, not only was it amusing but it was culturally enlightening. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 1, 2015 |
  JMlibrarian | Feb 27, 2015 |
For Nick, Jacob, and Max
I feel bad about my neck.

With her disarming, intimate, completely accessible voice, and dry sense of humor, Nora Ephron shares with us her ups and downs in I Feel Bad About My Neck, a candid, hilarious look at women who are getting older and dealing with the tribulations of maintenance, menopause, empty nests, and life itself.

The woman who brought us When Harry Met Sally . . . , Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, and Bewitched, and the author of best sellers Heartburn, Scribble Scribble, and Crazy Salad, discusses everything—from how much she hates her purse to how much time she spends attempting to stop the clock: the hair dye, the treadmill, the lotions and creams that promise to slow the aging process but never do. Oh, and she can’t stand the way her neck looks. But her dermatologist tells her there’s no quick fix for that.

Ephron chronicles her life as an obsessed cook, passionate city dweller, and hapless parent.  She recounts her anything-but-glamorous days as a White House intern during the JFK years (“I am probably the only young woman who ever worked in the Kennedy White House that the President did not make a pass at”) and shares how she fell in and out of love with Bill Clinton—from a distance, of course.  But mostly she speaks frankly and uproariously about life as a woman of a certain age.

Utterly courageous, wickedly funny, and unexpectedly moving in its truth telling, I Feel Bad About My Neck is a book of wisdom, advice, and laugh-out-loud moments, a scrumptious, irresistible treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

A collection of essays offers a humorous look at the ups and downs of being a woman of a certain age, discussing the tribulations of maintenance and trying to stop the clock, menopause, and empty nests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,749,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible