Dog Day by Alicia Gimenez-Bartlett

English (7)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (9)
quando la Petra Delicado non era ancora troppo trucida. Da(lungo) viaggio in treno. Così non ti accorgi nemmeno del ritardo pazzesco... ( )
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
READ IN DUTCH

When I first came across this book, I thought: Spanish detective, that's new for me. I can't really say I'm a big dog lover, but I was interested because it was Spanish.

I liked the Spanish influences, it's different from a Scandinavian, British or American detective. Different is interesting, as I think not enough Southern European authors are being translated.

This book wasn't completely working for me though. As a detective I thought it was a bit disappointing, but I liked the main characters.

I recently learned that this is actually the second book in the Petra Delicado series, but I've never heard anything about a Dutch translation of the first novel. I always think it's such a shame if publishers don't start with the first book. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I liked Petra better in this book than I did in the first of the series. Petra is still blunt, but she isn't quite as abusive to Garzon, nor is she angsting about proving herself to the department.

This time Petra and Garzon are investigating a murder-- the dead man's dog seems to be the key to solving the crime. The investigating will bring them deep into the world of guard dog breeding.

As a mystery this book was okay. I figured out what was going on with the dogs very quickly. Given how much they drink while on the job, I have no idea how Petra and Garzon manage to get anything done, but they do get the mystery solved. Overall this was an okay read, and I wouldn't mind reading more in the series. ( )
  lahochstetler | Apr 22, 2013 |
Segunda novela de la serie protagonizada por Petra Delicado. En esta la detective, junto con su ayudante Garzon, lleva a cabo una investigacion en la que, para esclarecer un asesinato, ambos se veran inmersos en el mundo de la cria de perros. La relacion profesional y social de los detectives se desarrolla en esta novela en la que hay alusiones a la anterior. Una novela de detectives entretenida y una trama interesante. ( )
  alalba | Jan 10, 2012 |
Things do not end well for the dog. Consider yourself warned.

I had high hopes for Dog Day. A noirish detective story, set among the mean streets of Barcelona with a plot involving a ring of dog thieves. It sounded like a book I would enjoy, and I did enjoy it, but I doubt I'll be seeking out further Petra Delicado mysteries.

The mystery itself was satisfying enough. While I did guess one major plot twist there was another that left me gasping. I enjoyed the detectives, too. Petra Delicado is a former lawyer turned police detective with an appropriately acerbic tongue to match her jaundiced eye. Twice divorced, she is no longer looking for love and is not very happy when it comes her way.

Which brings me to my principle problem with Dog Day. I have very little interest in the private lives of detectives. My favorite detective novels sketch in enough details about their characters to explain why they react they way they do to the grizzly events they witness without becoming hybrid detective/romance novels. Dog Day has two romance subplots: Petra Delicado's and that of her partner Fermin. Fermin is a widower, much older than Petra, who never expected to find love but ends up involved with two of the women he meets in the course of investigating the novel's central murder mystery.

It's just too much for me. I don't like depictions of detectives out on dates or hosting dinner parties. I prefer murder mysteries that concentrate on murder. Call me a purist. I can live with that. ( )
  CBJames | Jul 17, 2011 |
Es gibt Tage, die beginnen merkwürdig.
Alicia Giménez-Bartlett (Almansa,1951) vive a Barcellona. Tra le altre opere, è creatrice della serie dell'ispettrice Petra Delicado, cui appartengono, oltre a Giorno da cani, Messaggeri dell'oscurità, Morti di carta, Riti di morte, Serpenti nel Paradiso, Un bastimento carico di riso , Il caso del lituano e Nido vuoto

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,743,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible