George I by Ragnhild Hatton
653183,505 (4)3

The book is like extended dissertation, rather than popular history book. The author is definitely knows the subject and did a lot of research, but some points of that research are quite esoteric and will not be of any interest for majority of people (like me). Minor annoyance is that multiple French quotations are left without translations. ( )
  everfresh1 | Apr 28, 2013 |
1937 George I: Elector and King, by Ragnhild Hatton (read 1 Aug 1985) I long have wanted to read this 1978 scholarly biography of King George I and now finally have. Since it is by a very professional historian, it has none of the 'popular' about it. The book tends to be very favorable to its subject, whereas I have never been an admirer of his. But it is a well-researched book, and I am glad I read it. ( )
  Schmerguls | Aug 23, 2008 |
This is the definitive biography of England's King George I. Often maligned for his unwillingness to adapt to being the British Ruler rather than the German Elector of Hanover, George is presented in a scholarly fashion. This book is a must have for royal collectors, but it is very dry and will not appeal to those looking for a more exciting biography. ( )
  annesion | Mar 5, 2008 |
For Harry, who had a Hanoverian great-grandmother.
George's personality was undoubtedly influenced by his position as a first-born son of fond but ambitious parents and by unfinished business which he had been brought up to regard as his sacred duty to complete when he succeeded his father Ernest Augustus as elector of Hanover.

In 1714 George Ludwig, the fifty-eight-year-old elector of Brunswick-Luneburg, became, as George I, the first of the Hanoverian dynasty to rule Britain. Until his death in 1727 George served as both elector of Hanover and British monarch. An enigmatic figure whose real character has long been concealed by anti-Hanoverian propaganda, George emerges in this groundbreaking biography as an impressive ruler who welcomed the responsibilities the accession brought him and set out to bring culture to what he considered the unsophisticated English nation.

Ragnhild Hatton’s biography is the only comprehensive account of George’s life and reign. It draws on a wide range of archival sources in several languages to illuminate the fascinating details of George’s early life and dynastic crises, his plans and ambitions for the British nation, the impact of his rationalist ideas, and his accomplishments as king. The book also examines the king’s private life, his family relationships in both Prussia and England, his private interest in music and the arts, and the improvement of his British and Hanoverian properties.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

"Ragnhild Hatton's biography is the only comprehensive account of George's life and reign. It draws on a wide range of archival sources in several languages to illuminate the fascinating details of George's early life and dynastic crises, his plans and ambitions for the British nation, the impact of his rationalist ideas and his accomplishments as king. The book also examines George's personal life, his family relationships in both Prussia and England, his private interest in music and the arts and the improvement of his British and Hanoverian properties."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible