Midnight in Austenland: A Novel by Shannon…

Midnight in Austenland: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Shannon Hale

Member:frisbeesage
Title:Midnight in Austenland: A Novel
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 288 pages

Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale

Cute story, fun quick read. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
I enjoyed this more than the first book (Austenland). Charlotte was a much more believable character. She was sort of embarrassed about dressing up and playing a part, and a little confused about who was "real", but she wasn't embarrassed about enjoying Jane Austen (shame on you, Jane-the-main-character-from-Austenland!)
Again, I found this book to be very fluffy, very YA-ish (in the vanilla romance genre sort of way), but the murder-mystery-puzzle played out in a funny, slapstick-y, comedic sort of way that was satisfying. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
I recently reread the first book in this "series," and rated it poorly, so I'm not sure why I picked up this one. Here are my notes from right after I read it-"Another stupid novel about a woman whose life is incomplete without a man." Even though she just recently got out of a not-so-great marriage to a man who left her for his mistress. God, these books are so...well, cliche. I need to stop reading this junk. Jane Austen would be appalled. And that is my conceit-thinking I know what Jane Austen would or wouldn't approve! ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
After her marriage breaks up, Charlotte begins to read Jane Austen's works. When she decides to have a vacation, just on her own, where else would be better than Austenland? But all is not as it seems, and when midnight comes around, mystery is left in its wake.

I enjoyed this one much more than the first book. Don't get me wrong, Austenland was entertaining but some scenes were a little too hot for my taste. This one strikes the right tone for romance, and has the added bonus of a mystery.

Charlotte's character is relatable and endearing. Her conversations with her Inner Thoughts had me grinning on many occasions. She is kind and nice, but comes into her own as the novel progresses. A true heroine at her best.

The pacing of the novel is just right, leaving hints as to the true villain of the tale well before we know we ought to be watching for a murderer. The supporting cast is a delight with some familiar faces from the first book.

For Austen fans who wish they could go back in time themselves, this is a must read. ( )
  TheQuietReader | May 31, 2017 |
I've been a long time fan of Shannon Hale, from the moment I read The Goose Girl to Austenland. Austenland was amazing because not only did my friends and I discover a new appreciation for the way a man rides a horse ;) but because it allows us to live out our Darcy fantasies! 'Midnight' did something I never expected the sequel to do, outshine its predecessor. Charlotte's character is refreshingly realistic, her situation tugging at the heartstrings of too many women out there. I'm not divorced and have never been married but like most of you I've felt the affects divorce has had on close family members. Charlotte's character quickly has you drawn in with her shared insecurities, her laid back nonchalance about Austenland and her hope of falling in love again. There is action and mystery and a heavy dose of the gothic here that was absent in the first novel. The men are just as dashing and brooding as ever, except this time they are dangerous as they are beautiful. So ignore any reviews out there telling you this isn't just as much of a treat as Hale's other work. Because it's a universal truth women need our hits of Austen just like chocolate. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

For Jerusha and Steph, the muses of this book, who, unlike a certain British actor, will at the very least acknowledge this dedication and probably even swear to me their eternal love.
No one who knew Charlotte Constance Kinder since her youth would suppose her born to be a heroine.

Divorced American Charlotte Kinder takes a trip to Regency staged Pembrook Park in Kent where she plays parlor games, learns country dances, and even lets herself be courted by her assigned suitor, the brooding, magnetic Mr. Mallery. But her vacation becomes more Northanger Abbey when she catches a fleeting glimpse of a dead body in a secret room.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,799,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible