In Case We're Separated: Connected Stories…

In Case We're Separated: Connected Stories

by Alice Mattison

ebook version
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Stories about a Brooklyn Jewish family constructed around the structure of a double sestina (poetic form, six lines, twice, a word repeated), and an iconographic object that links the tales like a puzzle. The family is both boisterous and secretive, and their interplay yields little loyalties and betrayals between them. ( )
  sungene | Aug 6, 2008 |
Very interesting format - based on the poetry form sestina. Having attmpted to write a sestina, an admirable effort. ( )
  cneis9 | Jan 31, 2008 |
I'll eat on a fast day, a bad Jew, exultant,
happy beyond fear of my maker, my God.

from "A Bad Jew" by Joyce Peseroff
In memory of my mother, Rose Eisenber
In Case We're Separated

"You're a beautiful woman, sweetheart," Edwin Friend began.
Not Yet, Not Yet

Visiting from Boston with her baby, Ruth watched as her father uncapped his fountain pen.
I Am Not Your Mother

Before they had ever lived in the house, somebody's useless cow had sickened and died in the shed next door.
In the Dark, Who Pats the Air

Jo stood at the foot of the bed in her jeans and sweater, looking at naked Josh, who'd been her roommate for a year and her lover for three months.
Brooklyn Sestina

"Crates of live chicken," said Lillian: an example of what made her wish to die.

Spanning the length and breadth of the twentieth century, Alice Mattison's masterful In Case We're Separated looks at a family of Jewish immigrants in the 1920s and 1930s and follows the urban, emotionally turbulent lives of their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren against a backdrop of political assassination, the Vietnam War, and the AIDS epidemic. Beginning with the title story, which introduces Bobbie Kaplowitz—a single mother in 1954 Brooklyn whose lover is married and whose understanding of life is changed by a broken kitchen appliance—Mattison displays her unparalleled gift for storytelling and for creating rich, multidimensional characters, a gift that has led the Los Angeles Times to praise her as "a writer's writer."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:40 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,034,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible