Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel by…

Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Seanan McGuire (Author)

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:New York : DAW Books, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Tags:genre: fantasy, genre: urban fantasy, read 2012, female protagonist, strong women, borrowed from carol, read 2013

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire (2012)

I loved this book so much that when I go on vacation later this year I am giving a copy to a friend that almost never has time to read and tell her to read it. Verity comes from a long line of people that for centuries hunted and killed anything that wasn't human or hunted humans and we are not talking about animals here. The difference is several generations ago they came to the realization that what they were doing was wrong and now they try to help the cryptids hide among society and police them when they decide that they would rather snack on humanity. The price Verity and her family pay is now they must live under the radar of the Covenant of St George who hunt down anything that they see is wrong even if it doesn't prey on humans. Of course with Verity living in NYC, working as a waitress in a strip joint that employs several types of female cryptids and trying to be a professional ballroom dancer things are going to spiral out of control when a new operative from the Covenant comes calling to NYC to "cleanse" the town. I think what I liked the most about this as an urban fantasy is there was no magic, no possible second love interest and a family that is ready to drop everything to help out the heroine should she ask for backup. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I picked this up because I enjoy McGuire's Toby Daye series, and because Serge keeps posting snippets on his LiveJournal feed. I enjoyed this. It's lighthearted in a weird way, it combines ballroom dance with fighting monsters, and the protagonist (Verity Price) comes with snarky dialogue.

I totally want my own set of Aeslinn mice, a tribe of mystic rodents who worship the human they live with as a god and develop elaborate rites around such holy ocasions as "The Day of Grab Your Things, Emily, We're Leaving Now." They also make ritual processions around the kitchen and greet every person or event with an ecstatic "Hail!" How can you not love them?

The plot involves on ongoing dispute between Price family, who protect the monsters/cryptids/others from the Covenant, and the Covenant, who want to wipe the cryptids out. Someone is killing cryptids in Manhattan, and there is a new Covenant agent in town, and there is an Argentine Tango competition coming up. Verity has her hands full!

I don't think this is world changing, but it's fun to read. The sort of thing to keep handy in your purse or glove box so that you are never left without a book. ( )
  teckelvik | Mar 15, 2014 |
From McGuire's site: introduces us to Verity Price, journeyman cryptozoologist, ballroom dancer, and former reality television star. She's on assignment in Manhattan, researching the local cryptid community while she pursues her dance career. It's a cushy job...at least until local cryptids start disappearing, and all signs start pointing to a man from the Covenant of St. George. But is Dominic De Luca really to blame? And if she casts her suspicions in the wrong place, is she going to survive the experience?

My review: Enjoyable story. Now that I've finished it I want to read the next one. It was slow going at first for me but I soon got sucked into the life of Verity (Very) and her running across rooftops in Manhattan. Very starts out the story working in "Dave's Fish and Strips" strip club as a server. You find out pretty quick that she's working with some interesting cryptids. She uses her dancing as training for her journeyman and cryptozoologist side of her life since her family has been in hiding from the Covenant for quite some time. ( )
  eswaim | Feb 17, 2014 |
Discount Armageddon is the story of Verity Price, a blonde twenty-something cryptozoologist and recent transplant to New York City. She pays the bills by working as a waitress in a strip club, supports the family business by working to help the local populations of cryptids – monsters to the unenlightened – and secretly dreams of making it big on the ballroom dancing competition circuit. She hates public transportation, instead getting around by running parkour-style across the city rooftops, all while armed to the teeth with every kind of weapon she can hide under her skimpy waitress uniform. Oh, and her roommates are a colony of talking mice that venerate her every act with religious celebrations and feasts.

Things in the city are going swimmingly for Verity until the day she finds herself accidentally hanging from a snare set by a member of a monster-hunting sect called the Covenant. The Price family’s ancestors were part of the Covenant, but broke with the party line and decided to start helping cryptids instead of hunting them into extinction. Naturally, this didn’t endear them to the Covenant, and the Prices have been in hiding ever since. Complicating the situation is the fact that this Covenant member, Dominic, is strikingly handsome when he isn’t indiscriminately hunting and killing cryptids. Verity isn’t too happy about Dominic’s presence in the city, but when cryptid girls start disappearing and she hears credible rumors of a dragon – long though to be extinct – living under the city, they form an uneasy truce to stop the beast and sparks start flying.

In broad outlines Verity’s story feels familiar. It has the standard trappings of the urban fantasy genre: a secret world, hidden in plain sight, a main character with a special connection to that world, and a romance storyline involving a bad boy love interest who just needs a little redemption to make him boyfriend material. What makes it stand out are the unique details that McGuire works into the mix.

The mice in particular add a good bit of humor to the proceedings. They have dozens (if not hundreds) of religious ceremonies, all named for mundane events in Verity’s life, and all celebrated with a fervor that makes it difficult for Verity to have visitors. I also liked that there isn’t a single vampire or werewolf in the book. There are creatures who can switch between human and animal forms, but they all feel like off-the-beaten path choices, like the Japanese tanuki and an Indian creature called a madhura. Additionally, Verity’s background as a cryptozoologist isn’t just window-dressing; an important plot point revolves around actual biological processes becoming evident in one of the creatures she runs across.

The only real criticism I can come up with is that although title is catchy, I’m not really sure what it has to do with the actual story. In any case, Discount Armageddon is the first book in a new ongoing series for McGuire, and I look forward to picking up the future volumes. I’m also excited about reading her other books. She’s Hugo-nominated for her work as Mira Grant, and I’ve heard great things about her other urban fantasy series, the October Daye books. I get the impression that McGuire likes working with familiar tropes and genres while subverting them just enough to make them feel fresh and entertaining. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
I love every one of McGuire’s October Daye books, so I was thrilled to see I had somehow missed that she started a new series, Incryptid, in 2012. Not surprisingly, I thoroughly enjoyed this first installment. We are introduced to a world where humans and cryptids coexist. Cryptids range from seemingly human with important but harmless differences, to holy heck, that things is going to eat my face for dinner monsters. The Covenant of St. George is dedicated to wiping the cryptids out. A small faction of the Covenant defected several generations back and believe not all cryptids are bad; some are just acting on their nature and others just want to be left alone. This faction, the Price family, has to stay in hiding while they try to help the cryptid population. Verity Price has moved from her family’s compound in Oregon to New York. He cover is as a professional dancer, and she’s trying to decide if she wants it to only be a cover or to leave the family business and be a dancer for real. Unfortunately young unattached female cryptids are disappearing, so Verity starts an investigation. Her cover is blown when a Covenant operative shows up in New York to determine if a cryptid purge is necessary. Their paths cross, and they attempt an uneasy truce to try and solve the mystery of the disappearances.

This book has a strong female lead, and McGuire’s humor is very evident, but this book is a definite departure from the October Daye series. How can you not love a story where talking mice live with the heroine and celebrate things like, “The Holy Feast of I Swear Daddy, I’ll Kiss the Next Man Who Walks Through That Door”? You just know that’s going to lead to some fun. Book 2 was released in March of this year, and a number of free short stories appear on McGuire’s website. I can’t wait to work my way through them all. ( )
  DVKov | Jan 14, 2014 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fell, AlyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verity danced circles around the living room, her amateurish pirouettes and unsteady leaps accompanied by cheers and exultations from the horde of Aeslin mice perched on the back of the couch.

Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city...

Verity Price, who has been trained from birth as a cryptozoologist--a monster hunter--attempts to pursue a career in professional ballroom dance, but dangerous cryptids and an enemy operative keep getting in the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,652,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible