Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel by…

Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Seanan McGuire

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:New York : DAW Books, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Tags:genre: fantasy, genre: urban fantasy, read 2012, female protagonist, strong women, borrowed from carol, read 2013

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire (2012)

Recently added byMustHaveFiction, RCW, raii, yonahs, Helcura, Eisler, private library, nexist, majkia

English (46)  Piratical (1)  All languages (47)
An inventive UF by Seanan McGuire, with a fun change in tone from her more serious October Daye books. I'm not wholly sold on the ballroom-dancer-who-is-also-a-monster-hunter angle, nor is Dominic on my Top 10 Hotties list, but the Mice are funny and the world McGuire created is one that I'd like to explore further. ( )
  MadameWho | Jan 10, 2015 |
Much too entertaining. I don't much care for urban fantasy and this proudly bears the hallmarks - but with enough self-conscious winks to the reader and sufficiently amusing pizzazz to win me over. The Aeslin mice and the fact 'cuckoo' cousin Sarah's surname is Zellaby were icing on the cake. ( )
  imyril | Dec 31, 2014 |
Sadly I wasn't impressed in the least. It looked and sounded good, but failed to deliver quality. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
silly (although not as silly as anticipated) and entertaining ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
I loved this book so much that when I go on vacation later this year I am giving a copy to a friend that almost never has time to read and tell her to read it. Verity comes from a long line of people that for centuries hunted and killed anything that wasn't human or hunted humans and we are not talking about animals here. The difference is several generations ago they came to the realization that what they were doing was wrong and now they try to help the cryptids hide among society and police them when they decide that they would rather snack on humanity. The price Verity and her family pay is now they must live under the radar of the Covenant of St George who hunt down anything that they see is wrong even if it doesn't prey on humans. Of course with Verity living in NYC, working as a waitress in a strip joint that employs several types of female cryptids and trying to be a professional ballroom dancer things are going to spiral out of control when a new operative from the Covenant comes calling to NYC to "cleanse" the town. I think what I liked the most about this as an urban fantasy is there was no magic, no possible second love interest and a family that is ready to drop everything to help out the heroine should she ask for backup. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fell, AlyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verity danced circles around the living room, her amateurish pirouettes and unsteady leaps accompanied by cheers and exultations from the horde of Aeslin mice perched on the back of the couch.

Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city...

Verity Price, who has been trained from birth as a cryptozoologist--a monster hunter--attempts to pursue a career in professional ballroom dance, but dangerous cryptids and an enemy operative keep getting in the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible