Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel by…

Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel (edition 2012)

by Seanan McGuire

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Discount Armageddon : an Incryptid novel
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:New York : DAW Books, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Tags:genre: fantasy, genre: urban fantasy, read 2012, female protagonist, strong women, borrowed from carol, read 2013, read 2015

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire

Recently added byCarl_Alves, private library, Aneris, RSard, Kylie_Quillinan

English (59)  Piratical (1)  All languages (60)
Discount Armageddon is smart, stylish, and a fun to read novel. In it, Verity Price comes from a family of cryptozoologists, who have pledged their lives to study and protect cyptids after having broken away from the Covenant, a group that exists to protect the human race from these same cryptids, usually by killing them. Verity aspires to be a dancer, but is drawn in voluntarily or involuntarily into the family business. The cryptids come in a variety of forms from bogeymen to talking mice to dragon princesses. She is in Manhattan when Dominic, a member of the Covenant shows up and cryptid females begin to disappear. After a rocky start to the relationship, she and Dominic work together when they discover that a dragon is living dormant under Manhattan.

What I mostly liked about this story is the flare that Seanan McGuire has in her writing. She has a unique voice and a style that’s easy to read. The plot itself was well thought out and compelling. There were a few good twists along the way. On the downside, I thought the relationship between Verity and Dominic was too predictable. Verity herself was kind of a generic protagonist who didn’t stand out to me. Also, I thought there were too many cryptids in this novel, and it’s not very believable that so many would be able to live sort of out in the open without people uncovering them. Despite these flaws, the novel was fun to read and enjoyable, and worth your time.

Carl Alves - author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 21, 2016 |
If you don't take this book too seriously (why would you? It doesn't take itself seriously), you will enjoy it.

Most of Discount Armageddon is a lot of fun. Different species and their customs, mystery of who is taking all those cryptid women, funny quotes from various members of Verity's family before each chapter (even funnier if you'd read about those people before), the fact that there is nothing instant in Verity and Dominic's first meeting (unless you count let's kill each other one of those), and the Aeslin mice (of course) are only some of the great things that this book has to offer.
Also, there are so many potential short stories hinted by either the mice, Verity or a member of her family that I can't wait to read. Well, except the one with Thomas, Alice and a dragon princess. I don't think I would enjoy that one.

If I haven't read the short InCryptid stories, Discount Armageddon wouldn't be as fun.
I have a lot of love for this series thanks to those short stories set in the past of the main character's family. However, unlike them, Verity Price isn't as capable as I would expect. Most of her fame - infamy really if you want to be precise - in the city comes from the fact that the cryptids know about the Healys/Prices.
I am going to give Verity Price a pass because of all those great things I've already mentioned earlier and hope she grows into a more capable character later.

There is one thing that rarely (read: almost never) works for me. I hate foreshadowing and this book uses this device a lot. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
So, having read all of the "shorts" that come prior to book one, I was already familiar with the Cryptid world and what this family does. While I was sad to leave behind Jonathan and Fran and not see how Alice grew up or see that they had another child, I am excited to be reading about Alice's children and grandchildren. I adore Verity...she's quirky and strong, passionate about what she believes in, and a loyal friend. She reminded me a little bit of Kitty from the Gini Koch books. In any case, we follow Verity in this book through and adventure/mystery to see what's going on in "her town" Manhattan. Along the way, we meet various cryptids, relatives, and new friends. And while some parts of the book I may have seen coming, the ending was a total shocker to me as far as who was involved in the goings on! That's always good to me because you don't want the ending to be too predictable. I am excited to be moving on to book 2! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Great new series! Love Verity's kick-assness and Dominic looks like he'll be fun. Has the potential to have fun with lots of different cryptids being introduced along the way too.

Also may have found another fun series to follow in the back of the book by Gini Koch ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
urban fantasy, humor and snark, and plenty of fight scenes. Great fun! I'll be reading more of these, and thanking Karoline for the rec! ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fell, AlyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verity danced circles around the living room, her amateurish pirouettes and unsteady leaps accompanied by cheers and exultations from the horde of Aeslin mice perched on the back of the couch.

Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city...

Verity Price, who has been trained from birth as a cryptozoologist--a monster hunter--attempts to pursue a career in professional ballroom dance, but dangerous cryptids and an enemy operative keep getting in the way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,411,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible