Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel…

Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel (Incryptid Novels) (edition 2012)

by Seanan McGuire

Member:AlexWMcPherson
Title:Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel (Incryptid Novels)
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:DAW (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audio Book, 2013, Fantasy, Mystery

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire

Recently added byAneris, private library, Sorcyress, sarw, AlexHarrow, amfleming, veredi

English (62)  Piratical (1)  All (63)
If you don't take this book too seriously (why would you? It doesn't take itself seriously), you will enjoy it.

Most of Discount Armageddon is a lot of fun. Different species and their customs, mystery of who is taking all those cryptid women, funny quotes from various members of Verity's family before each chapter (even funnier if you'd read about those people before), the fact that there is nothing instant in Verity and Dominic's first meeting (unless you count let's kill each other one of those), and the Aeslin mice (of course) are only some of the great things that this book has to offer.
Also, there are so many potential short stories hinted by either the mice, Verity or a member of her family that I can't wait to read. Well, except the one with Thomas, Alice and a dragon princess. I don't think I would enjoy that one.

If I haven't read the short InCryptid stories, Discount Armageddon wouldn't be as fun.
I have a lot of love for this series thanks to those short stories set in the past of the main character's family. However, unlike them, Verity Price isn't as capable as I would expect. Most of her fame - infamy really if you want to be precise - in the city comes from the fact that the cryptids know about the Healys/Prices.
I am going to give Verity Price a pass because of all those great things I've already mentioned earlier and hope she grows into a more capable character later.

There is one thing that rarely (read: almost never) works for me. I hate foreshadowing and this book uses this device a lot. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
DISCOUNT ARMAGEDDON is the first book of the InCryptid urban fantasy series by Seanan McGuire. We follow Verity Price, a member of a family that has dedicated their lives to protecting the cryptid (monster) community (which also includes hunting the cryptids that become a threat to humans.) Verity has moved to New York City to try and decide between her two burgeoning careers – ballroom dance and cryptozoology, but her life becomes more complicated when a member of the Covenant (a rival society that takes a more hardline attitude towards cryptids) arrives in town, and then cryptids start disappearing mysteriously.

Urban fantasy is not my favorite genre – perhaps because cities and sexy clothes/hairdos and nightclubs and so on don’t really appeal to me, even as wish fulfillment. I did enjoy Jacqueline Carey’s Agent of Hel series, but that was more small-town fantasy than urban fantasy. But I’ve heard great things about Seanan McGuire, so I wanted to give this series a go.

As far as urban fantasy goes, DISCOUNT ARMAGEDDON was pretty good. Verity is a fun protagonist, she’s your typical sexy badass girl who carries a lot of weapons and knows how to use them while looking fabulous all the time (although she does get covered in blood and sewer-juice fairly often.) The central adventure was okay, although I felt like it was a little anticlimactic because the villains were all faceless and we didn’t get to know their motivations very well.

I really didn’t understand Verity’s relationship with her love interest, Dominic, who is supposed to be this cultish killer, but instead ends up being hot, interested in her, and willing to sacrifice all his beliefs that he’s grown up with pretty much instantly. Also, I found the character of Sarah somewhat inconsistent, she’s constantly described as an awkward mathematician, but nothing she said seemed that awkward or nerdy or mathematical to me (other than the one reference to Babylon 5, which I appreciated.) I mean, I know urban fantasy is supposed to be dumb fun, so maybe I’m reading too much into it.

Speaking of reading too much into things, I had so many questions about the world that were not satisfactorily answered. Why are certain animals classified as cryptids but others are just normal animals? – sapience doesn’t seem to have anything to do with it. How do cryptids keep themselves secret if there are so many different species of them? Why doesn’t the Covenant have a permanent presence in the U.S.? Why is this book called Discount Armageddon, other than it being a cool name? And so on…

It’s a good thing that I have questions because it means that I’m into the series enough to think about it. I’ll probably read the next book in the series fairly soon. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
I was in a mood for Fluff and a friend recommended this to me. Not quite as humorous as I was hoping for but overall not that bad.

Cross posted to Ramblings of a Lost Dancer ( )
  Tanya.Book.Hughes | Dec 20, 2016 |
Trying too hard. This is urban fantasy farce and doesn't really work for me.

Our heroine is apparently attempting to be a professional dancer, as a training regime for her familial work of monster tamers. They've split from the Crusaders who are the monster killers - innocent or not - and no longer on good terms. There's lots of monsters around apparently or at least non-humans with some strange habits. But apparently having a dual career means enough independence to also need ot work as a waitress at a strip club - also mostly staffed by non-humans. Then a Crusader turns up who just happens to be alone young and handsome, and they all go off to look for a dragon.

It's silly, introduces too many concepts unnecessarily, and rushed without any plausible motives or cohesive back story. Not really interested in the rest of the series. ( )
  reading_fox | Dec 11, 2016 |
Discount Armageddon is smart, stylish, and a fun to read novel. In it, Verity Price comes from a family of cryptozoologists, who have pledged their lives to study and protect cyptids after having broken away from the Covenant, a group that exists to protect the human race from these same cryptids, usually by killing them. Verity aspires to be a dancer, but is drawn in voluntarily or involuntarily into the family business. The cryptids come in a variety of forms from bogeymen to talking mice to dragon princesses. She is in Manhattan when Dominic, a member of the Covenant shows up and cryptid females begin to disappear. After a rocky start to the relationship, she and Dominic work together when they discover that a dragon is living dormant under Manhattan.

What I mostly liked about this story is the flare that Seanan McGuire has in her writing. She has a unique voice and a style that’s easy to read. The plot itself was well thought out and compelling. There were a few good twists along the way. On the downside, I thought the relationship between Verity and Dominic was too predictable. Verity herself was kind of a generic protagonist who didn’t stand out to me. Also, I thought there were too many cryptids in this novel, and it’s not very believable that so many would be able to live sort of out in the open without people uncovering them. Despite these flaws, the novel was fun to read and enjoyable, and worth your time.

Carl Alves - author of Conjesero ( )
1 vote Carl_Alves | Aug 21, 2016 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fell, AlyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verity danced circles around the living room, her amateurish pirouettes and unsteady leaps accompanied by cheers and exultations from the horde of Aeslin mice perched on the back of the couch.

Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city...

Verity Price, who has been trained from birth as a cryptozoologist--a monster hunter--attempts to pursue a career in professional ballroom dance, but dangerous cryptids and an enemy operative keep getting in the way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,792,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible