Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel…

Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel (Incryptid Novels) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Seanan McGuire

Member:AlexWMcPherson
Title:Discount Armageddon: An InCryptid Novel (Incryptid Novels)
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:DAW (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audio Book, 2013, Fantasy, Mystery

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire (2012)

English (44)  Piratical (1)  All languages (45)
Sadly I wasn't impressed in the least. It looked and sounded good, but failed to deliver quality. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
silly (although not as silly as anticipated) and entertaining ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
I loved this book so much that when I go on vacation later this year I am giving a copy to a friend that almost never has time to read and tell her to read it. Verity comes from a long line of people that for centuries hunted and killed anything that wasn't human or hunted humans and we are not talking about animals here. The difference is several generations ago they came to the realization that what they were doing was wrong and now they try to help the cryptids hide among society and police them when they decide that they would rather snack on humanity. The price Verity and her family pay is now they must live under the radar of the Covenant of St George who hunt down anything that they see is wrong even if it doesn't prey on humans. Of course with Verity living in NYC, working as a waitress in a strip joint that employs several types of female cryptids and trying to be a professional ballroom dancer things are going to spiral out of control when a new operative from the Covenant comes calling to NYC to "cleanse" the town. I think what I liked the most about this as an urban fantasy is there was no magic, no possible second love interest and a family that is ready to drop everything to help out the heroine should she ask for backup. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I picked this up because I enjoy McGuire's Toby Daye series, and because Serge keeps posting snippets on his LiveJournal feed. I enjoyed this. It's lighthearted in a weird way, it combines ballroom dance with fighting monsters, and the protagonist (Verity Price) comes with snarky dialogue.

I totally want my own set of Aeslinn mice, a tribe of mystic rodents who worship the human they live with as a god and develop elaborate rites around such holy ocasions as "The Day of Grab Your Things, Emily, We're Leaving Now." They also make ritual processions around the kitchen and greet every person or event with an ecstatic "Hail!" How can you not love them?

The plot involves on ongoing dispute between Price family, who protect the monsters/cryptids/others from the Covenant, and the Covenant, who want to wipe the cryptids out. Someone is killing cryptids in Manhattan, and there is a new Covenant agent in town, and there is an Argentine Tango competition coming up. Verity has her hands full!

I don't think this is world changing, but it's fun to read. The sort of thing to keep handy in your purse or glove box so that you are never left without a book. ( )
  teckelvik | Mar 15, 2014 |
From McGuire's site: introduces us to Verity Price, journeyman cryptozoologist, ballroom dancer, and former reality television star. She's on assignment in Manhattan, researching the local cryptid community while she pursues her dance career. It's a cushy job...at least until local cryptids start disappearing, and all signs start pointing to a man from the Covenant of St. George. But is Dominic De Luca really to blame? And if she casts her suspicions in the wrong place, is she going to survive the experience?

My review: Enjoyable story. Now that I've finished it I want to read the next one. It was slow going at first for me but I soon got sucked into the life of Verity (Very) and her running across rooftops in Manhattan. Very starts out the story working in "Dave's Fish and Strips" strip club as a server. You find out pretty quick that she's working with some interesting cryptids. She uses her dancing as training for her journeyman and cryptozoologist side of her life since her family has been in hiding from the Covenant for quite some time. ( )
  eswaim | Feb 17, 2014 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fell, AlyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verity danced circles around the living room, her amateurish pirouettes and unsteady leaps accompanied by cheers and exultations from the horde of Aeslin mice perched on the back of the couch.

Ghoulies. Ghosties. Long-legged beasties. Things that go bump in the night... The Price family has spent generations studying the monsters of the world, working to protect them from humanity—and humanity from them. Enter Verity Price. Despite being trained from birth as a cryptozoologist, she'd rather dance a tango than tangle with a demon, and is spending a year in Manhattan while she pursues her career in professional ballroom dance. Sounds pretty simple, right? It would be, if it weren't for the talking mice, the telepathic mathematicians, the asbestos supermodels, and the trained monster-hunter sent by the Price family's old enemies, the Covenant of St. George. When a Price girl meets a Covenant boy, high stakes, high heels, and a lot of collateral damage are almost guaranteed. To complicate matters further, local cryptids are disappearing, strange lizard-men are appearing in the sewers, and someone's spreading rumors about a dragon sleeping underneath the city...

Verity Price, who has been trained from birth as a cryptozoologist--a monster hunter--attempts to pursue a career in professional ballroom dance, but dangerous cryptids and an enemy operative keep getting in the way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible