The Bridge by Jane Higgins

The Bridge (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Jane Higgins (Author)

86None142,489 (3.71)10
Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Bridge
Authors:Jane Higgins (Author)
Info:Tundra Books (2012), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Review Copies
Tags:arc, tundra, new zealand author, dystopia, science fiction, post apocalyptic, survival, YA, read2012

The Bridge by Jane Higgins (2011)

Legend by Marie Lu (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I usually love dystopian books but this one left me wanting more. A divided city with turf wars and too much confusion about who is where and what they want and who has captured them made it a pretty dull read. ( )
  JRlibrary | Nov 19, 2013 |
A dark dystopia novel set in a fictional city and written by a local author. Unlike most New Zealand dystopias, this does not have the Polynesian feel and the decline seems mainly from humans rather than environmental instability. It is well written, but no light hearted matter. Within the first few chapters, a bomb explodes at the school, killing a number of student and teachers and throwing the City side into disarray. The hostiles from across the river have invaded, they've taken the bridges and are steadily claiming parts of the city for their own. So where is the army? In the ensuring chaos, a child is kidnapped and teenagers Nik and Fyffe resolve to cross the bridge and get him back. What they find is complicated politics, some dark secrets of their own and ultimately heartbreak. Well written, engrossing and well realised, The Bridge definitely deserves its Text Prize award! ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
The City is divided. The bridges gated. In Southside, the hostiles live in squalor and desperation, waiting for a chance to overrun the residents of Cityside.

Nik is still in high school but is destined for a great career with the Internal Security and Intelligence Services, the brains behind the war. But when ISIS comes recruiting, everyone is shocked when he isn't chosen. There must be an explanation, but no one will talk about it. Then the school is bombed and the hostiles take the bridges. Buildings are burning, kids are dead, and the hostiles have kidnapped Sol. Now ISIS is hunting for Nik.

But Nik is on the run, with Sol's sister Fyffe and ISIS hot on their trail. They cross the bridge in search of Sol, and Nik finds answers to questions he had never dared to ask.

The Bridge is a gritty adventure set in a future world where fear of outsiders pervades everything. A heart-stopping novel about friendship, identity, and courage from an exciting new voice in young-adult fiction.
  MegBrooks | Sep 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Maybe the abundance of dystopias have made me a little too picky, but I could not get into this story. It seemed very small scale, more like a turf war than the collapse of society. I never connected with the characters and so I gave up on it.
  readr | Jun 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don’t really have any strong feelings about this book. I mostly feel indifferent.

The book is told from the perspective of main character, Nik, whom I thought was a girl for the first few pages before it told me otherwise. I didn’t dislike Nik, he was a good person who kept getting into trouble for nothing which made me mad; I felt so bad for him. My favorite character, however, was Fyffe, she was so brave in the face of danger, and willing to do whatever it took to get her brother back. The character names were all really original which I loved: Dash, Jono, Fyffe, Sol, Jeitan, Levkova, Coly, Lanya. I really loved Levkova, it was just fun to say.

The world building is a big thing in dystopian fiction. I find it really has the power to either make or break a book. While the war-torn City divided into Southside and Cityside is well described visually and easy to imagine yourself in, the politics behind it became really confusing to me, especially near the end.

There is a lot of action to keep you turning pages and the ongoing search for Sol that keeps you interested. I was both happy and upset with the ending but you can’t always get the best of both worlds I suppose. I’m not really sure if this is a standalone novel or the beginning of a series? It works perfectly fine as a standalone but I could also see it going further. ( )
  BornBookish | Jan 30, 2013 |
For Paul

"The city is at war. Southside, the hostiles live in squalor and desperation. They're hungry to cross the river. Cityside, ISIS is in charge. Its job - keep the hostiles at bay. ISIS recruits only the best for its elite command. Nik is smart. Very smart. So why does ISIS reject him? Before he can find out, his school is bombed. The hostiles have taken the bridges, and they've kidnapped Fyffe's brother Sol. Now Nik is on the run. And Fyffe is going with him. Across the bridge." --Back cover.

In a world divided by war, Nik, a teenager destined for a high-level government position, is caught up in a school bombing that leaves him on the run within the walled-in City, searching for answers.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Bridge by Jane Higgins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible