A Serpent of Satan by Barbara Cartland

A Serpent of Satan

by Barbara Cartland

Uhh..perhaps I should explain. I read this one for a course in library school. It was a class on services for adults, and we had to read in a variety of genres. This one was categorized by my professor as "light romance." I had high hopes based on the title, which I'm certain is the only reason I chose it. Here's the review I wrote for class:

This book was horrible; thankfully, it was only 148 pages. All of the characters grated on my nerves. Everything about the book seemed stereotypical. Of course, it was a period romance, so maybe I'm reading too much into it [prof's note: No, I don't think you are!]. I guess I can see some people finding comfort in reading "light romances," and I certainly don't judge them for it, but I believe this will be the last I'll ever read. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |

The Earl of Rochester thought that the room had suddenly been lit with a thousand candles as Ophelia's eyes met his.

With a little murmur she moved towards him and hid her face against his shoulder.

"I must be dreaming," she whispered. "I did not even... dare to pray that you would... love me."

The Earl turned her face up to his.

"When we have a little more time, I will tell you exactly how much I care."

He bent his head as he spoke and his lips found hers. He could not imagine that any woman's mouth could be so soft, so yielding and yet so exciting.

And for Ophelia it was as if he filled the whole world, the earth and the sky, and she knew this was the moment she had been waiting for.

"I... love you. I love you," she whispered.

The Earl gazed at her reverently.

"And I love you, my darling!"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,541,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible