Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an…

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales (edition 2012)

by Penn Jillette (Author)

The outspoken half of magic duo Penn & Teller presents an atheist reinterpretation of the Ten Commandments, discussing why doubt, skepticism, and wonder should be celebrated and offering humorous stories from his own experiences.
Member:mille162
Title:God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales
Authors:Penn Jillette (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2012), Edition: 5.6.2012, 256 pages

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales by Penn Jillette

Though overall I liked the book, there were parts of it that I disagreed with Mr. Jillette. I suppose that is not a bad thing in the great scheme of things. The one thing that turned me off was his view that people, all of them (or the great majority) are good. It is something I disagree with because I believe the opposite: people overall are selfish, and if they have a chance to screw others over they will. All I have to do, in addition to point to various despots, tyrants, and dictators and those who enabled them is point to the unethical banking and finance bastards who pretty much ruined the economy in 2008, from which we are still reeling? Does anybody think those people were good? Hell no. They were motivated by greed and self-interest, and damn everybody else. And that is where I often part ways with Libertarians, when they pretty much embrace the "everybody for himself" mentality. I happen to believe things like good social nets and taking care of each other are good things. Contrary to the Libertarian belief, no, churches are just not enough, nor will they never be enough. Do I think government is perfect? Far from it, but it is necessary if for no other reason than to curb the worse excesses of greedy assholes in civilized society. But let me get away from the digression, because that point aside, this is overall a very good book worth reading.

Mr. Jillette rants, but he can also write pretty well. He can be funny, and he can be moving at times. Those moving passages really bring the reader in and serve to show that the magician and skeptic is a humane person. The story of how he cares for his parents as their health deteriorates, especially his father, is quite a moving statement. He does care for others overall, even if we disagree at times on how to accomplish some things. He makes people think as well. Then, there are the funny things such as having sex while scuba diving and hanging out with Ron Jeremy, who should likely run for President of the U.S. Worth reading as well.

The book is a combination of commentary and biography/memoir. Mr. Jillette goes over the Ten Commandments, the offers the Ten Atheist Suggestions. In between those segments, he tells stories, anecdotes, and commentaries on various issues that help to illustrate some of his suggestions. They also make for entertaining reading. And for all that some people may say that atheists are arrogant, his simple, "I don't know" is quite the expression of humility. Something to ponder about.

Fans of Penn & Teller as well as fans of Mr. Jillette's solo work will probably enjoy this book. I know I did, even as I disagreed on some things, I did agree on others. In the end, that may be part of a good conversation, being able to agree to disagree at times. This is a very good book that I think atheists and non-believers will like. Plus, I think a believer here and there may get something out of it as well.
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
Penn Jillette is a nut, really he says it several times throughout this book. Penn is outspoken and has non-traditional views. God no is a nice glimpse into those views all presented through stories of Penn's life. Penn is also not trying to convert anyone to atheism but instead points out many entertaining facts about faith, science, and god as well as a fun look into show business.

I found this book funny and entertaining but have to warn people that there is a lot of foul language and sexual content throughout the book. ( )
  Shack70 | Feb 23, 2020 |
[Vacío/Empty] ( )
  andycyca | Aug 6, 2019 |
  JeffcoHumanists | Apr 9, 2019 |
Penn is as "bugnutty" - his word - as they come. Also offensive, inappropriate and out and out hilarious. He's an atheist, and makes no bones of it. He's also a libertarian's libertarian and makes no apologies. This is not your book if you're easily offended on religion, sex, politics, personal liberties, Santa or frozen yogurt. ( )
  JeffcoHumanists | Apr 9, 2019 |
EZ
Mox
Zz
YOU MAY ALREADY BE AN ATHEIST!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,716,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible