LS: The Beginning by Kelvin O'Ralph

LS: The Beginning

by Kelvin O'Ralph

4419262,368 (3.08)1

Ice versus fire, man versus woman, is the premise for this series about supernatural powers and two college students. The plot moves along and the pace increases once Stephen and Lisa realize their lives are at risk. This is book one of the LS series. The author leaves a lot of issues dangling that may be revealed in LS: Deception, book two in the series. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jul 5, 2016 |
This is a book I did not like from the start. First, the grammar was bad. It was not ungrammatical all the time but some times. I do not have perfect grammar but i think if you're planning on becoming an accomplished author you have to be at least good at formulating sentences. The author likes dangling modifiers, he likes semi-colons, he likes complex sentences and COMPLEX WORDS. For example, the author would write "he nods in concordance" instead of saying "he nods in agreement". I did not like the characterization. There were no introduction to the characters, just a single sentence to their looks and thats it. You do not get to know them and they're inconsistent. There was no real climax. The characters have the easy life. They're rich, they have powers, they're good-looking. They're only problem was a slutty girl and a guy who also has super powers who is easy to kill. I'm not looking forward to the next book which unfortunately I also won. I'm really sorry. I tried to like it and wanted to provide a really good review but I can't like to myself. Not everyone has the same taste, so somebody would like this but not me. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Aug 21, 2012 |
This book is about Stephen and Lisa who, after a single touch, have found themselves with amazing new abilities. The story is basically about them learning to control their powers and trying to go to school as "normal kids".

Overall, it's a nice book. Nothing too special or eye-catching, in my opinion but nothing particularly wrong with it either. I admit that I'm a bit biased because I'm not a big fan of school-centered novels. The synopsis seemed interesting, which is why I gave this one a shot. Stephen has every other girl falling in love with him and of course Lisa is a hot mouthwatering girl. Stephen struck me as either a stuck-up or awkward guy. He's considerate to his cousin sometimes but there are times where he would say something to her and then abruptly turn and go to his room. I didn't like how Stephen handled his relationship with Julie either. Of course, as he is a teenager, it's understandable...to a certain point.

Anyway, this book is definitely for teens and maybe even for adults if they don't mind their characters being a bit immature. I wouldn't read it again but that's me. Give it a try if you have free time! ( )
  Tavaresden | Dec 22, 2011 |
This is the first book I have read by kelvin o'ralph.It was a little hard for me to get into at first.When stephen first came to his new house I got a little bored with all the expensive new things that had been given to him.I wanted to know more about him, why he was there, why they were giving him all the expensive gifts.I think I wanted a little bit more back story on stephen.That being said once he met lisa and they shared what they were both going through it got much better for me.I dont want to give anything away that happens later in the story.I will read the next in the series because once the story started going I found that I did enjoy it quite a bit.I think the writer over all did a GOOD JOB! I look forward to seeing what else this writer has to offer in the future.
p.s after my review of his book I am proud to say I can call this author my friend. I have gotten to know kelvin and I think he is a gifted young author.I currently own two of his books and have made him a deal if he keeps writing I will keep reading.He truly loves writting and deserves the chance to have his books read.Kelvin is also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. ( )
  amy2011 | Oct 31, 2011 |
Stephen arrives at his place of birth after a long period of time in living in Africa. The moment he steps into his new city, Sloutenville, he begins to undergo certain changes. Changes he could never have dreamed of. (by the way I like the name of the town, kelvin)

I love the part where he meets Lisa: how their eyes change colors will be awesome in big screen(just saying). Anyways, I get to see Stephen and Lisa learn about each other's super powers. I love the relationship between Stacey and Stephen.

Now, there were some questions left unanswered. I didn't fancy this to be honest, but then I realized it's written in a first person narrative voice, so even Stephen doesn't know the answers to these questions. It made me feel as if I was traveling with Lisa and Stephen in this romantic/mysterious adventure.

I've downloaded the second book to my Kindle device, and I'll start reading it as soon as possible. Well done, kelvin ( )
  MaryBeckinson | Oct 28, 2011 |

A handshake between strangers has never held so much promise for discovery.
When Stephen Wilson meets Lisa Morgan at his new school in Sloutenville, it is the simple act of extending his hand in greeting that flips both of their worlds upside-down. With the gesture, both discover that in some way they are connected, and that they share the ability to manipulate the elements, fire and water. Though their abilities vary, they share the gift of telepathy allowing them to communicate without words, which creates a bond between them stronger than either had expected.
As the two begin to spend more and more time together, David, Lisa's ex becomes wild with jealousy, lunching multiple attacks on Lisa. In the fight against the dangers that await them around every corner, Stephen and Lisa soon discover that they are up against much greater odds than they had originally known, and that their struggles are far from over.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kelvin O'Ralph's book LS: The Beginning was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Kelvin O'Ralph is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible