Verita (Verita Trilogy) by Tracy Rozzlynn

Verita (Verita Trilogy) (2011)

by Tracy Rozzlynn

Fast-Tracked by Tracy Rozzlynn (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: By the same author. I think Fast-Tracked is even better than Verita, so if you liked Verita give it a try!

Ryan and Brett are committed to other people but now they are on their own in a new world with unknown flora and fauna. They left earth before they reached eighteen. In a cryogenic sleep, they absorbed all the knowledge they would need for their pre-assignment profession. If they needed to learn more, they could pick it up in their sleeping pod. The pace is a bit uneven. In addition, the characters act similar to high school student exploring relationships. This story is a combination of science fiction and romance genre written for teens and young adults. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jul 31, 2016 |
When Brett's parents are killed in a plane crash, she finds herself alone in a group home. With no one to turn too, when a mysterious man shows up offering her the chance of a lifetime, she jumps. Within weeks, she finds herself cryogenically frozen and sent to a new planet. While frozen, she is taught a skill, preparing her for working on the new planet. When she wakes on Verita, she quickly learns that she has been chosen to be a scientist. Inexplicably , she finds herself attracted to Brody, a jock-type guy that she would normally avoid at all costs. She also has an attraction to Ryan, a fellow scientist on her team. When their team goes out to explore the surrounding area, Ryan and Brett are caught in a flash flood and washed up miles and miles from their compound.

This was a very interesting world with a fascinating premise. Brett was extremely likeable, and I found myself rooting for her. I am excited to pick up the second book in the series and look forward to more books by Ms. Rozzlynn. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jul 17, 2015 |
I very much enjoyed this novel! I am a huge fan of fantasy and sci fi novels, and the way that this one started out left me skeptical at first, but then I became entranced and invested in Brett's struggles, finding myself wanting to learn and grow with her. I loved the detail of the new world, Verita. It was incredible, the amount of detail and thought the author put into it. I rarely gushingly rave about a book, but this one was one I found myself enjoying immensely and will be reading again. I can't wait to acquire the second book. As an author myself, who does cliffhanger endings, I want to congratulate this author on the use of it--I almost bought the second on the spot. Fantastic story, well-rounded and detailed characters, and a world I would love to go to myself (I'm a biologist!) ( )
  AllCrazyHere | May 7, 2014 |
Kudos to Ms. Rozzlynn for making a whole new world and being very scientific about it. It made it science fiction in a way but I think the book did not have the right balance. At time it was way toooo scientific. Sometimes it was took cliche. Sometimes it was too emotional. Sometimes it was too lovey dovey. It did not have the right balance of these elements. The lead character, Brett, was annoying at times. She easily gets angry and annoyed. I am hoping though that by the second book, she would have mellowed down. I am hoping that the second book will be better and more balanced than the first one. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | May 22, 2012 |
--Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog--

For a science fiction read Verita was quite an impressive novel.
Brett Bradbury has the regular American life of not going without until the day her parents die. As only child she doesn't have any immediate family and when she finds that her family for most of her life have been living well above their means she doesn't have any real way to keep up payments to her old way of living considering she's a minor. So she has to go to foster care.
A few days into foster care she starts to realize that life is changing. Brett still very much still wants to keep in contact with her old friend Jenna until she finds that Jenna would rather not now that Brett is in another school zone and also in foster care. To Jenna it will be easier not to have Brett around. After one last ditch effort to see Jenna and e-kindle their friendship just causes the foster care services to see her as a delinquent to be watched and not be given ahny trust. Brett really feels her life has gone in an unforseeable place with nothing good to look forward to.
Just as Brett see her world as terrible and there is no real hope she gets approached hy John Roberts with a govrnment sponsored scientific-orientated project where a new planet named Verita has been found! Verita needs people from Earth who are young to populate it. So Brett has her suspicions that the scientists created compatible genetic partners for everyone who's in Verita. Brett senses this conspiracy theory may be what's going on especially since she has instant crazy atrraction to Brady who hardly has any connection emotionally to. Although she doesn't want to jump into any conclusions until she's sure so we should see that in the next book set to be called Concisus.
Brett will no doubt want to fight to hold on to a certain relationship with a fellow scientist named Ryan Traven considering her relationship isn't fabricated like with Brady. Tracy Rozzlyn got good ideas with how Verita can possibly have agendas. She also knows how to handle characters and introducing new ones. As soon as you meet Ryan you'll know when he proceeds to scold Brett but they do become good friends later which you can see [below]:
“Stop!”
I jump and pull my hand back. The eyes quickly vanish back into the greenery. I turn in the direction of the deep, booming voice that startled me.
“What do you think you’re doing? You don’t know if any of those plants out there are poisonous or even carnivorous.” The sharp edge in his voice instantaneously angers me.
Is he seriously lecturing me? Momentarily, I worry he’s security, and that I’ve broken some unknown rule – but as he marches closer I notice he’s wearing black with purple, like me. He’s a scientist, just like I am, and I’m pissed. Who the hell is he to lecture me? I wasn’t actually touching anything, yet. I would have stopped before reaching the fence – at least that’s what I’m telling myself.
“What do you think you’re doing?” I snap back at him defensively.
“I’m trying to keep you from hurting yourself. You could be a little nicer and say thank you,” he snarls, but I can see by his expression that he’s startled by my tone.
With my voice dripping in sarcasm, I say, “Sure, thank you. Thank you for butting in where you don’t belong, and thank you so much for startling my creature away. Did you ever stop to think that I was looking at something beside the plants? And, just maybe, that I was reaching out to see if I’d get a similar response from the animal that was looking at me? And that, just maybe, you’re not the only one with a shred of common sense who knows not to touch something when you don’t know what it is?”
I cross my arms and simply glare at him. A part of me realizes that he only meant well, but I’m not in the mood to be understanding. The shock of waking up, the disappointment of the dorms, all my doubts and my losses are being taken out on this poor sap who happened along at the wrong moment. I know it’s not fair of me, but it’s not enough to quell my fury.
“I’m sorry,” he retorts condescendingly. “The next time I think you’re about to do something foolish, I’ll wait until after you’re hurt to tell you that it’s a bad idea.” I notice he’s smirking at me now, apparently amused by my reaction.
“And you can save the lecturing until after the fact next time, too.” I huff, turn around, and sit back down to read my handbook.
“It’s a deal then.” He holds out his hand to shake. I look up and see a Cheshire cat smile plastered on his face. I can’t stop myself from smiling too.
“Deal.” I shake his hand as I feel my anger subsiding.
“I’m Ryan; Ryan Traven. And you are…” he asks, raising his eyebrow.
“Brett Bradbury,” I answer. Realizing we’re still shaking, I quickly tug my hand away. He chuckles warmly at me.
“So you’re a biologist?” I notice his voice has a soft, gentle quality to it when he isn’t scolding me.
“Yes, and let me guess: you’re a botanist,” I say, coyly.
“Guilty. Sorry if I sounded like I was lecturing you. I’ve been walking the perimeter, looking at all these strange plants, and wondering what qualities they possess. I really was just worried for you.” He shrugs his shoulders apologetically.

What found genius with Tracy Rozzlyn's writing was you get to read into a book that had this professional gathering of scientists vibe that felt so believable. Interesting to become immersed into. Here [below] her writing style comes out:
The weekend and Monday morning goes by very slowly. We all try to busy ourselves with other work, but the waiting makes it hard to concentrate. We’re all excited and nervous to see what she thinks, and to see if she’ll allow us to plant it on the base. I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning, just watching the clock until it’s late enough to wake my parents and run downstairs to see what’s been left under the tree. I’m only half paying attention to the video I’m screening, when I catch a black shape blur across the screen. I quickly sit up in my chair and rewind the footage.
Ryan had seen it from over my shoulder. “What the hell was that?”
Everyone gathers around me as I replay the footage at normal speed. We see an Enux run past first – a large, flightless bird that resembles an oversized turkey with long muscular, legs and the speed of a roadrunner. Then we see the black blur. Whatever it was, it’s enormous, fast, and after the Enux. Anxiously, I rewind it again and play it in slow motion to see if I can get a better view, but it doesn’t help.
“Shit!” I look to confirm the time and location and of the camera. “Anything large enough to take down an Enux is large enough to hunt us.” Alarmed, I start barking orders. “Jake, pull up the video from camera six, 2238 hours, June thirty-fifth. There might be a better shot of the animal on that camera. I’m going to see if I can slow this down more and clean up the image better. Ryan, grab camera five – Molly, grab cameras eight’s video. They’re both long shots, but they could have caught something.”
We spend the rest of the morning carefully screening through the videos. Molly finds a black tail swishing across her screen, but nothing else. Jake just finds black: the animal had rubbed against his camera and knocked it out of position, so it’s now pointed to the ground. Ryan finds absolutely nothing on his camera.
I finally manage to slow down and clean up my video. Everyone gathers back around me as I play it back. It’s still blurry, but we can make out an elongated snout like that of a dog or wolf, and there are plenty of sharp, jagged teeth lining the creature’s mouth. Its body resembles a panther, but it appeared to be moving even faster than a panther can, and from what we can tell it’s quite a bit larger.
“Shit,” is all I manage to say.

So far for a science fiction fan this series has a enjoyable world that's a brilliant jewel among many.
Coming Soon.

Concisus

The second book in the Verita series.

Overall: Amazing read!
Genre: Science Fiction, Romance ( )
  Cassandrabookblogger | Apr 25, 2012 |
I cringe as the girl behind me incessantly cracks her knuckles in nervous anticipation.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tracy Rozzlynn's book Verita was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Tracy Rozzlynn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible