The Coconut Oil Miracle (Previously…

The Coconut Oil Miracle (Previously published as The Healing Miracle of…

by Bruce Fife

1202100,400 (3.85)None

I had been looking forward to reading this book for a long time before I actually managed to get hold of it. And I wasn't disappointed.

It turns out that we have all been deceived about the saturated fat in coconut oil being harmful.

Coconut oil is composed primarily of medium- and short-chain fatty acids. The medium-chain fatty acids are broken down and used mostly for energy production - thus they produce energy not fat. They have no negative effect on blood cholesterol and help protect against heart disease.

Saturated fats, having no missing hydrogen atoms or double-bonded carbons, are not vulnerable to oxidation and free radical formation like unsaturated fats. Saturated fats remain stable even when heated to normal cooking temperatures, and coconut oil is by far the safest oil to use in cooking, though you must ensure that you use temperatures below 350 degrees F, i.e. avoid letting the oil smoke. In fact the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil give it unique properties and make it the healthiest oil of them all.

Medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oils are oils composed of 100% medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs). These are derived from coconut or palm kernel oils. Coconut and MCT oils are used in hospitals to treat malabsorption syndrome and burnt or severely ill patients, among others. Coconut/MCT oil has been an important ingredient in baby formulas and especially in treating premature babies. The MCFAs in coconut oil are lauric acid (48%), caprylic acid (8%)and capric acid (7%). However, coconut oil contains "a complete set of MCFAs", "provides a balance of several fatty acids rather than just two" and is a completely natural product.

South Sea islanders, whose traditional diet consists mostly of coconut products, are extremely healthy - those who have stuck to this diet, that is, and who haven't begun to consume Western junk food.

MCFAs from coconut oil can "kill bacteria and viruses that cause influenza, herpes, bladder infections, gum diseases and numerous other conditions". It acts as an antioxidant and protects the heart and arteries from injury "caused by bacteria, viruses and free radicals". Heart disease rates in India tripled when people were advised to stop eating coconut oil since it caused heart disease (!?) and instead started to consume margarine and processed vegetable oils. Fungal and yeast infections can also be cured by coconut oil.

Coconut oil contributes to healing innumerable disorders, including digestive and nutrient absorption disorders, Crohn's disease. osteoporosis, gallbladder disease, viral infections, AIDS, cancer, diabetes, liver disease and prostate enlargement. It provides valuable nourishment for new-born babies.

Mpreover, replacing the other oils and fats with coconut oil will lead to weight loss if you are overweight. The author of the book reports losing 20 pounds after he began to use coconut oil instead of processed vegetable oils.

Fife advises us to use up to 3 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil in our diet. We can use both dried and fresh coconut, coconut milk or coconut oil either eaten directly by the spoonful or merely used in cooking. 7 ounces of dried coconut or 10 ounces of coconut milk also provide the necessary 3 1/2 tablespoons of oil. You can also apply the oil to your skin or scalp, which is apparently practically as good as eating it.

I myself drink from 1/3 to 1/2 can of coconut milk every day, use about 3 tablespoons of the oil in cooking every or every second day, and rub it all over my skin every night.

I suffer from Crohn's, but have had no "attacks" of raging and painful stomach acid since starting to partake of coconut oil, and have experienced having too little stomach acid (an unpleasant sensation of being completely unable to digest any food) paradoxically only when drinking too much coconut milk! However, after having used the oil and milk regularly for about a month, I no longer experience this symptom at all. I have extremely (pathologically) dry skin, but after having applied the oil for a week or so the skin on my arms looks more normal and the skin on my face looke and feels much better. The oil has a beneficial effect on slight cuts I have on my leg which otherwise are having extreme difficulty in healing. They now have begun to heal. Also, for a year or so I was plagued by stomach pains due to harmful bacteria, and these pains have to all intents and purposes disappeared thus saving me a fortune I otherwise spent on oregano oil, strong garlic products and potent herb pills. Howver, I have at the same time been treated in the same period by a MAP (Medical Assistance Program) team, who are perhaps primarily responsible for this progress. (See reviews of the book MAP by Machaelle Small Wright.)

The only complaint I have as regards this book is that it could have been made clearer that in addition to coconut oil your body requires essential fatty acids, coconut oil containing only 2% of these. Bruce Fife does mention the need for extra EFAs in one of the "boxes", entitled "Essential Fatty Acids", but not otherwise in his main text, where he talks only of throwing out margarine, shortening and all the unhealthy processed oils. Though he states in this box that consumption of coconut oil can "enhance the efficiency of essential fatty acids by as much as 100 per cent", Fife concludes by stating that "for optimal health we should consume a small amount of EFAs along with a significantly larger amount of MCFAs".

There is a final useful chapter in the book comprising coconut oil recipes.

If you wish to obtain optimum health, and especially if you suffer from various health complaints, I would strongly advise you to read this valuable book. ( )
  IonaS | Oct 24, 2010 |
a wealth of information on the subject ( )
  libreria04 | Mar 20, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible