Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (2011)

by Jamie McGuire

Series: Beautiful Disaster (1)

Easy by Tammara Webber (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.
    Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)

English (151)  Italian (1)  All languages (152)
I have read all the negative things about this book but I am still in love! I read this book in one sitting, a definite guilty pleasure! ( )
  BrittanyElsen | Sep 24, 2014 |
An alternate title for this book could be: A Study in Unhealthy and Abusive Relationships. I read this to find out why some people love this, and some loathe it. The book wasn't bad, per se. The characters have serious problems with impulse control and long term planning. In the real world, Travis would have been arrested for assault and battery numerous times. Abby is far too forgiving of his behavior. I was in shock at how Abby could forgive Travis over and over for the stunts he pulls. Travis proclaims that all of his erratic behavior is because he loves her, etc. Stupidest excuse ever. He always tells her that he will never be violent towards her. Yeah, that's what every abuser says before it actually happens. I hope nobody reads this and thinks that Travis is someone to be desired and this book represents a healthy relationship. ( )
  LISandKL | Sep 4, 2014 |
Have you ever seen an accident, or some other tragedy, where every decent cell in your body knows that you need to turn away, and yet you just can't? Well, Beautiful Disaster was like that in book form, at least for me. I sat in front of my computer for a good fifteen minutes, trying to decide how to rate this book and what to say in my review of it, and I still don't know the answer.

Travis Maddox is a mess. I enjoy a fucked up main character, but he's just too much. He has issues, and I love characters with issues, but...no. I can't get behind this relationship. He's jealous and possessive as hell, seriously injuring guys who dare flirt with Abby or make a crack about their relationship - where in the hell are the police or campus security? Travis tells Abby that he's never been arrested, but I can't see how he's managed to evade the court system this long, because he participates in underground fights AND publicly beats the shit out of people in the college cafeteria, and controlling as all get out, so I can't really see the attraction here. Sorry, but it's not okay to tell your girlfriend what to wear, to stalk her, to completely trash your apartment because you're angry at her, etc.

Really, none of this makes much sense. Abby makes a bet with Travis and loses, so she has to spend a month in his apartment (she originally ends up in his apartment because the hot water boiler breaks in her dorm room, and her best friend, America, is dating Travis' cousin and roommate, Shepley). Which apparently translates into Abby spending her nights in Travis' bed. Uhh, but they're just friends. Sure. And I can never decide if America and Shepley want Abby to be with Travis, and I don't think those characters know for certain themselves, because they keep changing their minds.

And I don't know why Abby really would WANT to be with Travis. He's paranoid and irrationally insecure about their relationship. But hey, he's hot, so I guess all of that is okay? Sigh. I feel bad for not rating this book one star, to be honest.

And yet I found it hard to put this book down, because everything was just so fucked up that I couldn't look away. I am unable to advocate this type of relationship in real life, but hey, they are both two messed up people, and sometimes two messed up people fall in love. It usually ends badly, but...it happens. And I don't know if the author was gunning for showcasing a seriously messed up and rather frightening codependent relationship, but she actually did that fairly well. Although I think it was supposed to be portrayed as romantic, and that is the really scary part. Because this book is not romantic, at least to me, in any sense of the imagination. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 3, 2014 |
At first I thought that Travis was going to be this really cool and big alpha man and I was right. But then the whole thing with him and Abby began and then I kept thinking to myself of how much of a girl he was. Thank God, he grew out of it. Abby was awesome! America had her own brand of awesomeness. Shep and Finley were two sweethearts. Really liked it! ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Travis and Abby take the term "emotional roller-coaster" to a whole new level, but I enjoyed every heart stopping minute of the ride. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 17, 2014 |
"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants--and needs--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."--From publisher description.
added by kthomp25 | editFrom publisher description

Jamie McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeltner, HenrietteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everything in the room screamed that I didn’t belong.

Travis Maddox, Eastern University's playboy, makes a bet with good girl Abby that if he loses, he will remain abstinent for a month, but if he wins, Abby must live in his apartment for the same amount of time.

509 wanted7 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,511,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible