Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (2011)

by Jamie McGuire

Series: Beautiful Disaster (1)

Easy by Tammara Webber (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.
    Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)

English (158)  Italian (1)  All languages (159)
Travis and Abby take the term "emotional roller-coaster" to a whole new level, but I enjoyed every heart stopping minute of the ride. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
One of my all-time favorite romances! ( )
  Nessa24Flutist | Apr 6, 2015 |
Far too much hype for so-so book. I was in the mood for romance -- young college, butterflies-in-the-stomach young romance. Not believeable here. It may be that this forty-something housewife has completely lost her ability to identify with young/new love. I would not recommend this to anyone above their twenties.... author presents characters as too juvenile in their POV, thoughts, actions, reactions. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Okay, so after reading many a review on this book, I decided to keep my mind open and read it anyway, just to see if all the negative hype actually had a foothold.

Did it? Oh yes. Yes, it did.

This book is currently on par with 50 Shades of Grey, its lack of plot and storyline and weird, stalkerish, mentally abusing men being the most aspects they have in common. This is the most ridiculous, demeaning and cringey book I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

Abby Abernathy is a fucking moron who at thirteen could apparently kick ass at poker and APPARENTLY she used to play with the mob . What the actual fuck. As if the Mob is going to bother playing poker with a dumbass thirteen year old. As fucking if. Travis 'Mad Dog' Maddox is a fucking asshole. He really is. He's obsessive, compulsive, aggressive, violent, 'damaged' and all in all, an absolute sociopath. The only person I would actually consider liking in this book is Kara, Abby's room mate because SHE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS A TINY BIT OF COMMON SENSE.

So people in this book 'txt lyk dis' which, as small and insignificant as it may be, actually grates on me BIG TIME.

The first time we're properly introduced to Travis is through this sentence: "Shepley nodded, and America and I both turned to see Travis take a seat at the end of the table. He was followed by two voluptuous bottle-blondes wearing Sigma Kappa tees. One of them sat on Travis' lap, the other sat beside him, pawing at his shirt." So immediately, I dislike Travis, especially when he, "let his knees give way, sending her tumbling to the floor." I mean, WHO EVEN DOES THAT?

Obviously women have 0 respect in Maddox's books, and I would NEVER EVER go after someone like that, someone who doesn't respect me. But, of course, Abby does because she's your typical idiotic moron who TRIES so HARD to stay away but then has to give in because apparently someone who resembles a thirty year old wannabe thug is 'hot' and 'cool' to be with. Because, in my eyes, that's what I think Travis looks like. Like a failed wannabe thirty year old. The fact that he smokes in clubs (which I'm pretty sure is illegal, but 'no one dares say anything'), has a six pack without working out, an A in every class without studying and fights illegally for a ridiculous amount of money is just HILARIOUS. And oh, get this. Travis lets his opponents get a hit in first because he 'doesn't want to let their fans down'. HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, right! As if that could happen! But no, Travis is unbeatable and incredibly ridiculously unrealistic. He's pathetic .

Okay, so lets get to the bit where the storyline makes me gag. Abby, this perfect girl with just the right amount of sweaters in her wardrobe, falls for Travis, your typical dark and brooding and boring idiot, who is not only unrealistic and pathetic, but he's also a major creep. This, for example, would make me actually want to shoot someone in the kneecap: "'I've been drinking, all right? Your skin was three inches from my face, and you're beautiful, and you smell fucking awesome when you sweat'"

YOU SMELL FUCKING AWESOME WHEN YOU SWEAT?! WHAT?! ARE YOU DEMENTED?!

After losing a bet, Abby has to move in with Travis for a month, but because he's such a CONTROL FREAK, he scares off any men who coming within a metre of her, accusing them of being escaped rapists, and then buys her A PUPPY. A PUPPY SO SHE HAS TO COME BACK AND VISIT.

How is THAT ROMANTIC?!

But anyway, Abby then ends up losing her virginity to Travis (surprise surprise) although for most of the book she rants and raves about the 'STI infested' girls that Travis likes to 'bag'. BAG and THEN, get this, it turns out she's some amazing gambler, knows the guy who RUNS A CASINO in Vegas and she wins nearly 20,000 dollars but, because she has to pay back a debt for her father, and the money isn't enough, TRAVIS BEATS UP TWO OF THE MOBS' MEN. HAHAHAHAHAHA. How fucking unrealistic. And of course, Benny, who McGuire makes him sound like a retarded version of the Godfather, forgives the rest of the debt. Again, yeah right.

Then Benny offers him a job, Abby (feeling betrayed) dumps him, but no fear, they get back together and GET MARRIED IN VEGAS. AT NINETEEN. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. Not only that, but she gets MRS. MADDOX TATTOOED ON HER STOMACH. WHAAAAAAAAAT. You've just ruined your goddamn life, you IDIOT. But no, it's 'romantic' because has the word PIGEON tattooed on HIS WRIST which is, by the way, his nickname for her. Pigeon.

This book is all levels of strange fucked up weirdness. From beginning to end, I pretty much wanted to put a bullet in both their heads. Apparently he loves her, yet abuses her so much that I actually find it hilarious that she FIGHTS for him.

Ugh. This book just only shows how ridiculous the book industry has become these days that they let even a mediocre book ike this get published.

DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO HANG YOURSELF. SERIOUSLY. It's a pathetic monstrosity and anyone who finds Travis Maddox hot and appealing is also a pathetic monstrosity because if you want someone like that sociopath in your life, you need some kind of help and soon before you hurt someone.

GOOD fucking RIDDANCE.[b:Beautiful Disaster|11505797|Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)|Jamie McGuire|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358259032s/11505797.jpg|16441531] ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
This was a great book, and an interesting read from start to finish. Travis is a very complex character and he winds up changing drastically from the beginning to the end of the book. Abby is also complicated, but once she learns to go with her feelings instead of against them, things seem to work out for her. I feel like she was a bit dramatic at times, but that could be from her past, which we only really touched the surface of, or it could be that she is just young. Their relationship might seem like too much at times, however, I like how even though they may fight or not see eye to eye all the time they still push through it all the same. And I think that in its own says a lot. ( )
  JosP | Jan 15, 2015 |
"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants--and needs--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."--From publisher description.
added by kthomp25 | editFrom publisher description

Jamie McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeltner, HenrietteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everything in the room screamed that I didn’t belong.

Travis Maddox, Eastern University's playboy, makes a bet with good girl Abby that if he loses, he will remain abstinent for a month, but if he wins, Abby must live in his apartment for the same amount of time.

509 wanted7 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,718,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible