Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster

by Jamie McGuire

Series: Beautiful Disaster (1)

867None10,223 (3.7)10
    Easy by Tammara Webber (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.
    Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)

English (142)  Italian (1)  All languages (143)
Beautiful, no. Disaster, somewhat. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
4.5 warm fuzzies stars

Point blank. Abby. Is. A. Badass.

I love her strength!!!!

Some people wait their whole life to meet their soul mate and some have them right in front of their faces and deny deny DENY hehe

Meet Abby Abernathy aka Pigeon. She is fierce, she is beautiful, she is NOT letting a player like Travis Maddox try to use his charm on her.

“It wasn’t just me, and it wasn’t just him, it was what we were together that was the exception.”

Meet Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox. He is a "player". Has a different girl every night kinda guy but when he sees Abby he can't get enough of her. He is hot headed, a fighter, a chain smoker and a tattooed mess but Abby gets him.

“I know we're fucked up, alright? I'm impulsive, and hot tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then need me the next. I never get anything right, and I don't deserve you...but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I loved anyone or anything ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands...”

Together they are everything. Together they are hot mess. Together they are a Beautiful Disaster.

amydnoland | Mar 31, 2014 |
Okay, first of all, let me say that I've seen this book be categorized as a YA (young adult) novel. If "young adult" referred to 18-24 year old readers then that characterization would be fine with me. But, that's not how it is...kids as young as 12 read YA fiction. This book is NOT for them. I don't even think it is appropriate for someone 15 or 16 years old. There just is too much sex, bad language and inappropriate relationships for "developing" minds. (If you're under 18 and reading this...don't hate me! It's just my mama side coming out.)

Now that my little "disclaimer" is out of the way....This was an interesting read. I think I had a like it-hate it relationship with it while reading. I say this because for the first half of the book, I didn't want to put it down (I stayed up until 3am reading it) but the entire time I was reading it, I kept thinking "this is stupid". Have you ever had a book like that?. This wasn't a great book. I didn't love the writing style. The relationships are dysfunctional, way dysfunctional. The protagonist is way too young in my opinion for much of what went on in the book. But, the author does a decent job at building suspense and defining her characters. A pet peeve for me was that everyone was constantly smoking in this book...I am very disappointed that the author chose to glamorize smoking.

With all of the drinking, partying, and sex, I might have been more comfortable with this book if the protagonist, Abby, had been 22 years old instead of 18 yrs old. I would just hate for some 13 - 16 yr old to read this and think that this is how relationships should be...but then, I feel this way about the Twilight novels, as well. It was a fun read and I don't regret reading the book or feel like it was a waste of time but I can't give a full stamp of approval for it either. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
. I read so many reviews and was leaning towards not to read the book. Book was okay. I would refer it to others. ( )
  ChannellingCloretta | Mar 9, 2014 |
This was mainly a soap opera of a novel. The boy/girl relationship was dysfunctional and extremely unhealthy. There was a lot of obsessive behavior from the boy, and neither of the characters ever really learned how to deal with their problems, except to run off to Vegas to elope. As a side note, there is a fair amount of drug and alcohol abuse as well as sexual situations. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 20, 2014 |
"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants--and needs--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."--From publisher description.
added by kthomp25 | editFrom publisher description

Jamie McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everything in the room screamed that I didn’t belong.

Travis Maddox, Eastern University's playboy, makes a bet with good girl Abby that if he loses, he will remain abstinent for a month, but if he wins, Abby must live in his apartment for the same amount of time.

509 wanted6 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,488,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible