Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (2011)

by Jamie McGuire

Series: Beautiful Disaster (1)

Easy by Tammara Webber (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.
    Wrecked by Priscilla West (LISandKL)
    Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)

English (169)  Italian (1)  All languages (170)
Dear fans, please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me, but I disliked this book immensely.

The name for once is apt. The relationship portrayed in the book is a disaster of major proportions. It's a trainwreck, it's something that your mom keeps telling you might happen if you don't listen to her, and frankly I will be surprised if there is a book #2 because Travis and Abby have no future together.

She is blind and madly in love, he is obsessive, has major anger-management issues and is extremely volatile. Yet they get married at nineteen. In Vegas. After a great row and big reconciliation. *double facepalm*

The song "I Love The Way You Lie" is all I could think about when I was reading this book...

So, if you are in the mood for lots of sex, plenty of screaming and drama blown out of proportions, if you like a trainwreck, you will be alright reading this book. Me? It just made me incredibly angry.

I can believe that Abby and Travis can be happy, but I would have believed it more if they spent 10 years in separation, grew up and learnt from their mistakes first before getting back together... :)

One thing I loved though is Abby's part in Vegas, although I felt that it was cut too short. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I found the message in this book to be quite disturbing but I also found myself reading it to the end. I was hoping Abby would see the light and get out of this codependent relationship. Travis is a young man with severe anger and jealously issues. Abby is a somewhat quiet girl who gets sucked into a relationship with him through a bet. Travis does not physically hurt Abby in the book, but he does hurt most of the people around her. I was troubled by the fairy tale ending as well. As a reader, I knew this relationship was never going to work. I wanted to think Abby would figure that out. It would be really interesting to read a sequel about what REALLY happens to this couple a few months or years down the road. Not sure this is a message that young women need. Unfortunately this is probably true of many relationships out there judging from the sheer number of books on codependency. It is hard to find a likeable character is this book and that makes it a bit difficult as well. I gave this book three stars because it was interesting to read about the downward spiral of these two people. I get that it is fiction, it just didn't do it for me. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Oct 27, 2015 |
This book was absolutely awful and should only be read as a cautionary tale. Abby and Travis' relationship is a textbook example of codependency. Travis, as a hero, sucks. He's a jerk who treats women like sexual objects, has zero respect for them, and uses them as he pleases. Except for Abby, of course. He falls head over heels for her the second he sees her and for some inexplicable reason, she's different from the rest. The scariest thing about Travis is his aggression problem. And I'm not talking about his illegal fights. Throughout the course of the book, he has at least THREE violent outbursts with the littlest of provocations that would have had me running for the hills.

Travis is very controlling of Abby, going so far as to buy her a dog that she has to keep at his place just to ensure she'll have to come back to see him once she moves out. He frequently interrupts her dates with other guys and insists she has to be at his fights or else he's too distracted wondering where she is to pay attention in the fight. This last one is despite the fact the fights are actually a dangerous place for Abby to be.The crowds are out of control and Abby actually did get attacked once. Even then, Travis insisted she keep attending them.

To try to make up for his asshole tendencies, McGuire gives Travis some unrealistically 'perfect' characteristics. For example, he never works out but is absolutely ripped. He never studies, but gets all A's in school. He never practices for a fight, but he never loses and in fact only allows opponents to get one hit in so as not to disappoint the fans.

Abby's backstory is absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable. I won't spoil it for you, but there's absolutely no way those things would have happened to her at the ages written. She also seems to be co-dependent of her father. I don't understand why she chooses to stay involved in his life. Had it been me and my deadbeat loser dad showed up asking for favors like hers, I would have laughed in his face.

Overall, the plot was absurd and the relationship was horrendous. Several times, I almost didn't finish it but I forced myself to continue because there were so many positive reviews out there, I thought the author must turn things around somehow. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Don't believe the hype. ( )
  jnp1013 | Oct 25, 2015 |
Oh, my..........I honestly don't know what to say about this book...
Hmmm...this book definitely surprized me, in a good way...in a very good way...
At times, I was so frustrated I wanted to throw the book, at other times, I wanted to hug it...
But now that I've finished it, I feel like I don't know what to do with my life anymore...
I want a sequel continuing where Travis and Pigeon left off, but I feel that if it continued, it would ruin the perfect ending...but I want more...oh, I don't know what to think, I feel like my brain just turned to mush after I finished this... ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I LOVED this book. I expected to I mean the book has a 4.13 rating and over 250,000 ratings so obviously it's a good book. But wow did I ever like it.
The plot of a girl being that one special girl who saves the badboy is so overplayed and yet I will never stop loving it. Travis Maddox is the walking One Night Stand and everyone knows it and somehow he falls in love with Abby Abernathy and that's that. I mean it's so typical and yet it's so good.
I absolutely adored their friendship in the beginning. The bet was so cute and when they call each other Best Friends I got a little flutter in my heart because their friendship meant more to me than any relationship they could have had.
There's one scene though when Travis gets upset at hearing Abby say she isn't interested in him where he brings back two girls and sleeps with them both in the living room and then falls asleep next to her in bed that broke my heart for her. Like she was upset about it but she played it off so well, whereas I would have been devastated. I actually really wasn't a huge fan of Abby's. Like I liked her, but at the same time I got so annoyed with her at times. I'm not saying that Travis was flawless, because hell did he make A LOT of mistakes, but she saw how much he was hurting being apart from her, and she knew that she wanted to be with him, it just really didn't make sense for them to be apart and I wanted her to be less stupid about it. Plus her entire relationship with Parker was really ridiculous and I didn't like that she was denying her heart I really hate that.
I think this book is worth reading if you like New Adult books and you like the typical one girl saves the badboy storyline. I really enjoyed it I thought it was funny and cute and fluffy and sweet and heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

Book Challenge book #28: A Book With Antonyms In The Title ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants--and needs--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."--From publisher description.
added by kthomp25 | editFrom publisher description

Jamie McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeltner, HenrietteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everything in the room screamed that I didn’t belong.

Travis Maddox, Eastern University's playboy, makes a bet with good girl Abby that if he loses, he will remain abstinent for a month, but if he wins, Abby must live in his apartment for the same amount of time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible