Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (2011)

by Jamie McGuire

Series: Beautiful Disaster (1)

Easy by Tammara Webber (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.
    Wrecked by Priscilla West (LISandKL)
    Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)

English (161)  Italian (1)  All languages (162)
I picked up this book after seeing the great reviews I had seen on goodreads thinking it sounded like an interesting read. HOWEVER, this book was not what I expected. For starters, the whole short hair and tattoos love interest isn't really my cup of tea so I was off to a bad start. At first the whole bad boy attitude was interesting, but then it turned plain scary. He acted out violently when he couldn't get Abby and acted like a total stalker! I was scared and upset that this was suppose to be depicting romance when in fact it was very similar to an abusive relationship. Some of the scenes just made me think, why would you ever want to romanticize something so destructive. And the DRINKING. They drank more booze in this book than in all of the James bond movies. I would not want any younger reader reading this book and thinking this is what a relationship should be like. I'm not sure if there are more books after this, but I don't plan on reading them any time soon. ( )
  Ericanneri | May 21, 2015 |
This book is honestly kind of hard to rate. The writing was solid. The voice was solid. The characters were complex. It had a good plot. Oh, and that cover? Effing gorgeous. I mean, seriously. Five stars for cover art.

But...

Holy co-dependency Batman.

Kara nailed it when she asked Abby if she'd ever heard of co-dependency.

Abby and Travis are...it's hard to even know where to begin. There were things about their relationship that bothered me. There were things that seemed so right. There were things that seemed so wrong.

Travis is a violent guy. Not because he's an alpha male. Not even because he fights to make money. He's simply a violent guy. Yes, he has moments of sweetness. The moments of violence, though, screamed DANGER! DANGER! He's also immature (and hey, he's what? 22? some immaturity is to be expected, but not to that degree).

Abby. Oh, where to begin with Abby. On one hand, she's a pretty strong character. She also has some co-dependency issues, which were illustrated not only with Travis, but with her dad, too (yes, Abby is also very young, and it's very hard to escape a co-dependent relationship with a parent). I kept getting the feeling that she believed she could "fix" Travis, make him less violent, calm his temper, etc. I was honestly GLAD when she walked away from Travis and broke up with him for a while. I'm a romance reader and writer. I love HEAs and HFNs. And yet, with these two I kept hoping that they either wouldn't end up together, or that some MAJOR character development would occur so that I could be okay with them being together.

Instead, there really wasn't much character development from that point, and they made a horrible decision that had "disaster" written all over it.

And yet, I couldn't put this book down. Like I said, it was very well-written. It was fast-paced. I think I kept holding out hope that there would be some major character development late in the story that could make me root for Travis and Abby and their relationship, rather than worry about them (or even if Travis had decided to go to counseling for his anger management issues, that would have made me feel slightly more comfortable). Do I think Travis would ever intentionally hurt Abby? Not really. Not physically. The violence IS a red flag, though.

Overall, it's kind of a confounding book. I kind of want to read the next book in the series (not the one from Travis' POV or the novella, but the next Maddox Brothers book) because I actually really like McGuire's writing style and voice. I'm just wary of finding another really troubled Maddox brother who needs to grow up and reign in his temper, and another heroine who thinks she can "fix" him. ( )
  AubreyGross | May 20, 2015 |
So I have conflicting feelings about this book. Part of me didn't mind and got swept up in the romance. The other part of me was aghast at the dysfunctional, unhealthy relationship that the two main characters have. It was over the top and some of the sub plots were wholly unbelievable. Regardless, it was a quick absorbing read.

Abby Abernathy (what a name right?) goes away to college with her best friend, America (ugh these names!) excited to reinvent herself and get away from her shady past (when you finally find out, it's.... kinda ridiculous).? America instantly finds a frat boy to hang all over and it's then that Abby is introduced to frat boy's roommate, Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox. Travis is a huge tattooed covered, fist throwing, hot headed, manwhore, and for some reason starts to fall for Abby. He goes from bagging one or two girls a night to spending all his free time with Abby, America, and frat boy. Yay for double dates! Soon people on campus are talking, has Abby tamed Travis? To Travis' chagrin, Abby insists they're just friends (even though they sleep in the same bed, no sex though because Abby is TOTALLY a virgin.. uh huh), and fawns over a frat guy named Parker. Everyone on campus is confused (as was I), is Abby seeing Travis or Parker? Who does she like better? Why are they competing? CHOOSE ALREADY! Sweet Jesus! As if that wasn't getting on my nerves, Travis is a jealous, over protective jerk that borderlines on abusive. It's a wild, unbelievable read that doesn't have all that much sex. It's meh. ( )
  ecataldi | May 14, 2015 |
Travis and Abby take the term "emotional roller-coaster" to a whole new level, but I enjoyed every heart stopping minute of the ride. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
One of my all-time favorite romances! ( )
  Nessa24Flutist | Apr 6, 2015 |
"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants--and needs--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."--From publisher description.
added by kthomp25 | editFrom publisher description

Jamie McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeltner, HenrietteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everything in the room screamed that I didn’t belong.

Travis Maddox, Eastern University's playboy, makes a bet with good girl Abby that if he loses, he will remain abstinent for a month, but if he wins, Abby must live in his apartment for the same amount of time.

509 wanted7 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,316,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible