Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (2011)

by Jamie McGuire

Series: Beautiful Disaster (1)

Easy by Tammara Webber (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Contemporary romance, college, young adult.
    Wrecked by Priscilla West (LISandKL)
    Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)

English (166)  Italian (1)  All languages (167)
I'm going to review this book in two parts. The first part for those who have not read it and the second will be for those who have. Beware!

The book kept my attention early on so I read it pretty quickly. The story started out with a good build up, so you understood the attraction. I found myself laughing a lot at some of situations because either they were really funny or so ridiculous it was comical. I also talked out loud a lot too! Haha! I'm giving it four stars because it was a decent entertaining love story, not perfect, but worth the read, in my opinion. The only reason I won't give it five stars is because there are issues with the overall story line that nag at me a little...

*NOTE*
I read this book because of a loud review from a girl on this site who was so passionately against the book's message and how it could influence young girls. Yes, I agree, get out as soon red flags are raised in a relationship, whatever those may be for the individual. In real life a story like this might not turn out so well so be careful!

**SPOILER ALERTS from this point on**

With that being said, let's look at the book for what it was. So Travis is an alpha male with anger and jealousy issues... not a big surprise to many fans of the intense romance genre. He wasn't violent towards her or mean that's what the fight club was for :) He knows he has issues that need to be work on and she told him that as well. I did feel that Abby had the common sense of a rock most of the time, which is ironic because she was supposed to be this super streetwise gambling girl. She didn't ask Travis why he insisted on calling her "Pigeon" for a long time. I would have asked right away, I mean that's not exactly a cute and cuddly nickname. Pidge was even worse, Eew! Plus I don't think SHE brought it up, someone else did. It was also irritating that she took so long to realize or accept Travis's feelings for her. He even said something like "How come everyone else can see it except for you?" She continued to play the clueless role for a while with this whole "He's everything I don't need but I never back down from a bet" point she was trying to prove and tormenting him by sleeping in his bed as platonic friends for a whole month. ( I know, he insisted on her sleeping there but still) Travis fell for her HARD and had a lot of co-dependency issues for sure. At one point I felt like shooting this poor guy to put him out of his misery, she tortured him pretty bad through out the book. I just stopped seeing her purpose for putting him through that. I felt she made a bigger deal than necessary out of the mob boss situation. He got her point and apologized for it- a million times! He begged her take him back- a millions times, then she had the nerve to be hurt when he walked in the apartment with that girl Megan one night? He even asked her then "Do you want me or not?" She still chose "not". Frustrating!! OK, the two girl situation before their relationship had officially begun was totally gross and uncalled for on his part, but she still kept living there?? Yet the mob boss offer is what she chose to leave him over?? Ugh! Overall, I didn't feel that she was as in to him as he was to her. It all felt kind of forced on her part. He felt super insecure even at the end and I don't blame him. She did this complete 180 without a real explanation to him as to why she wanted to be with him and what changed her mind. It was just like "OK, I give up, we're back together now." Usually at the end of a love story, I take away a feeling that this relationship will last and that they were meant to be together. I didn't feel that way about this one. I think the future for them looks shaky. The title is definitely fitting and just about sums everything up! ( )
  GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |
Sin duda alguna la gran estrella del libro es KARA , la compañera de cuarto de Abby . Es algo asì como la voz en off de la mayorìa de los acontecimientos . Me hizo reir , me hizo reflexionar y por momentos me dieron ganas de aplaudirla . La voz de la cordura en un libro lleno de enfermos mentales y mujeres histèricas . (Porque no , NO ESTA BIEN un que un hombre -un boxeador encima!!- te rompa toda la casa porque no le das bola pero TAMPOCO esta bien darle esperanzas despuès de eso . SI ES NO ES NO , no MAÑANA VEMOS)

Lean algunos de sus comentarios estelares :

I heard a knock at the door, and America burst through it. She pul ed the ear buds from my ears and then fel into my desk chair.

“Mornin’ sunshine. You look like hel ,” she said, blowing a pink bubble from her mouth and then letting it smack loudly as it popped.

“Shut UP, America!” Kara said from under her covers.

___________________________

“She was kidding,” I said.

Kara nodded with indifference, and then looked down to the mess of books on her bedspread.

“I guess I’l get a shower,” I said, grabbing a towel and my shower bag.

“I’l alert the media,” Kara deadpanned, keeping her head down.

_________________________

America walked in and plopped onto my bed, arms crossed. “Can you believe this shit? How much are we paying and we can’t even take a hot shower?” Kara sighed. “Stop whining. Why don’t you just stay with your boyfriend? Haven’t you been staying with him, anyway?”

________________________

America shrugged. “Does it matter? C’mon!”

“I don’t want to run into Travis. It’l be weird.”

“Do you ever listen to me? He’s not there, he’s at the Red. Come on!” she whined, tugging on my arm.

I stood up with mild resistance as she pul ed me from the room.

“Final y,” Kara said.

________________________

I fel against my pil ow as Kara rummaged though through her closet. “What are you so happy about?” she grumbled.

“Nothing,” I sighed.

“Do you know what co-dependency is, Abby? Your boyfriend is a prime example, which is creepy considering he went from having no respect for women at al to thinking he needs you to breathe.”

“Maybe he does,” I said, refusing to let her spoil my mood.

“Don’t you wonder why that is? I mean…he’s been through half the girls at this school. Why you?”

“He says I’m different.”

“Sure he does. But why?”

“Why do you care?” I snapped.

“It’s dangerous to need someone that much. You’re trying to save him and he’s hoping you can. You two are a disaster.”

(Y creo que eso ùltimo es lo màs -y lo ùnico- sensato que se dice en toooodo el libro)

______________________________

UN APLAUSO PARA KARA!! Y a ver si en el pròximo libro aparece de nuevo y la dejan estudiar en paz .

LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |
I am giving up on this book. Too bad because I really tried finishing this. :'(
  mszettiel | Jul 7, 2015 |
i loved this book! i loved loved it. read it til my eyes stung til wee hours of the morning. could not put down!) it was so different and unique from typical romance novels..i couldnt put it down. the previous review is crazy...the scene is great...the guy has issues...but he never hurts her! we love dark and twisty men who just need to find the write chick! he is not abusive..he is in college..they are young and stupid give them that......he treats her like a queen...but the joy of finding a gem of a man like that and the joy of reading it is the process in which we must unravel the gem...sometimes its messy...but its worth the journey.

i am not offended by cursing in romance novels because in real life people curse...i dont know many adults who dont. ( )
  Alwaysmidnight | Jun 16, 2015 |
This was really awesome. The kind of love this couple experiences is so deep that the whole time I could feel everything that the characters were feeling and that is a something that not many books can do. Amazing read. ( )
  smilezforbooks | Jun 6, 2015 |
"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants--and needs--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis's apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."--From publisher description.
added by kthomp25 | editFrom publisher description

Jamie McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeltner, HenrietteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everything in the room screamed that I didn’t belong.

Travis Maddox, Eastern University's playboy, makes a bet with good girl Abby that if he loses, he will remain abstinent for a month, but if he wins, Abby must live in his apartment for the same amount of time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,465,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible