Transfection by David Gaughran

Transfection (2011)

by David Gaughran

Doctor Peters is a very interesting character with insights into plant life that exceed his intellect and puts his life at risk. Life becomes difficult when his research is highjacked. There are some inconsistencies with timing of events and little attention to secondary characters often found in a short story. Gaughran missed a unique opportunity to delve into characters, corporation, and university research that would take a good story and make it great. ( )
  bemislibrary | May 19, 2016 |
This is a Reading Good Books review.

I love a good medical thriller. I challenge myself in understanding all the technical jargon and keeping up with the pace and different plots of the story. Short story thrillers are a little tricky. Usually, thrillers take their time establishing the mystery and building up to the big reveal. This book only had 5,000+ words to set it up and execute.

The blurb seemed very promising. It doesn’t really give away much, if anything. But it read like a teaser or a pitch rather than a stand-alone story. The premise had so much to work on and a short story format was not enough for that. A lot was left unexplained, including the “reason behind the cancer link with GM food”. So yeah, I ended the book scratching my head and trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

The writing was excellent and polished. I was impressed by that and frankly, that’s the reason why I kept reading. For its length, the character development was done well even with the time jumps. But because plot development was severely lacking, I didn’t care much for the story itself. It could’ve worked as a full book or anything longer than a short story.

Rating: 3/5.

Recommendation: It’s 5,500 words, it shouldn’t take you too long to read. I read it during my down time at work and still got stuff done. ( )
  chaostheory08 | Oct 6, 2011 |
I received this ebook through a LibraryThing.com giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very intriguing read. It was very well written and fleshed out for a short story. Very original idea which isn't always something I can say. You don't have to be a Sci Fi fan to enjoy this book.

I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  ladyofunicorns | Aug 29, 2011 |
This was a well written story, however to me it was nothing new, the story line was one that I had encountered before (though in a slightly different way. It seemed to be written as a twist in the end tale, however the twist for me was just the way it was always going to end.
but still it was an enjoyable read for all of the description, I would read this author again
  jessicariddoch | Aug 26, 2011 |
Dr. Carl Peters worked at a university in a lab and was eccentric. His only friend was assistant Jim Glover. Carl spent more time in the lab than he did at home. He worked with genetic modification food.
It tells how much he obssessed with work and science till he lost everything and he knows part of it was his fault for the choices he made.
It shows him spireling down and up. That you need to work on more than one aspeck at a time.
Also shows greed and how science studies can be made into less than truethful ways.
The story was a little hard with the science for me to follow but it was good. Just not a story I would pick up and read again.
I was given the short story in exchange for honest review. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Aug 25, 2011 |

Molecular biologist Dr. Carl Peters is under pressure on two fronts: his research grants are disappearing and his marriage is falling apart. But when medical researchers discover that genetically modified animal feed has tainted the food chain, he finally gets the funding he always dreamed of.

Dr. Peters discovers the reason behind the cancer link with GM food, but it's so crazy, he barely believes it himself.

Transfection is a 5,700 word, 23-page old-school science fiction story, starring a molecular biologist who makes a discovery that shocks the world, only to find his life under threat. It takes in militant vegans, corruption, homelessness, university politics, radiation, the celebrity-obsessed media, and a shadowy conspiracy.

Transfection is a digital original.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

David Gaughran's book Transfection was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

David Gaughran is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible