The Sext Crime: C.Y.A. | Covert Youth Agency…

The Sext Crime: C.Y.A. | Covert Youth Agency (edition 2011)

by Jason Ancona

Collections:YA Reviewed, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Teen Book Scene, Ebook, Read in 2011

The Sext Crime: C.Y.A. | Covert Youth Agency by Jason Ancona

THE SEXT CRIME is such a great book because of it's rich character development and the interaction between said characters. Pi (Peter), the math nerd, Tollhouse, the field agent, and Lightman (do not call her Delilah!), the extraordinary computer hacker, are a great team because they fit so well together, despite their differences. The constant bickering between Lightman and Tollhouse create laugh out loud scenes. And Lightman has a way of using her intelligence to get adults to do whatever she wants, even with her sarcastic banter and attitude.

And dare I mention the important issue that Ancona has tackled with THE SEXT CRIME? Normally, I dislike books where the main storyline is the "issue" the author is trying to get across to readers. Ancona has done a great job of showing the dangers of "sexting" and the blackmail that can ensue from it, yet he has an actual story that is engaging and hilarious, and not too "Afterschool Special." (Those of you who don't recognize this reference: Ask your parents.)

Jason Ancona has created wonderful characters that draw readers into their story. The characters are realistic, funny and likable. Ancona has written yet another great novel that will appeal to teens and older middle graders. Check out the first book in the series, THE CASE OF TANGLED LOVE, for an introduction to the COVERT YOUTH AGENCY and it's members. ( )
  avidreaderjl | Nov 5, 2012 |
The Covert Youth Agency (C.Y.A.) series is about a group of teenagers in high school who run the C.Y.A., a secret crime fighting group that helps students (like the C.I.A. for high school). The CYA is made up of three members: Pi, Tollhouse, and Lightman. Pi is the leader; Tollhouse is the main field agent; and Lightman is the computer genius.
In this installment, the group gets involved in the student council elections. When Meredith, one of the candidates for student council president, gets blackmailed into dropping out of the race, the C.Y.A. steps in. But whoever hacked into Meredith's phone is extremely skilled. After Meredith dropped out, the C.Y.A pushes for another candidate to run against the remaining one, supporting the same issues in hopes that the blackmailer might try to strike again. However, this time, the hacker/blackmailer targets Pi. Now it's a race against time. Meanwhile, Deeks, the gym teacher, is out to get the C.Y.A. since they blackmailed him into resigning from his coaching job since he was responsible for the bullying of the "Noble Nerds."
I was smiling and laughing the entire time I was reading The Sext Crime. Tollhouse and Lightman had the BEST scenes. Just having them in the same room together brought at least five minutes of straight-up-out-loud laughing (per scene!). Honestly, they are my favorite characters. They have a love-hate, well, maybe a like-hate relationship. They are always bickering; but deep down, and I mean deep deep down, I think they like each other. Unlike the last book, Lightman is allowed to work in the field. Although she quickly regrets it when she realizes that being undercover means going shopping with "the girls" for a dress. Lightman is so smart and can be nice when she wants to (very rarely). She uses her genius status to bully the principal and teachers in to letting her do what she wants. Tollhouse is a likeable nerd. He's not the coolest guy in the world and he does get picked on by the jocks, but he is very easy going. He can get along with anyone (well, anyone that's not trying to bully him-and Lightman). Pi was such a cute nerd! Seriously! Some of my favorite Pi scenes involved rap music, youtube videos, and some awkward dancing. One word: hilarious! He's a bit insecure when it comes to social interactions with people other than family and very close friends. When it comes to the C.Y.A., he's in his element and the insecurity disappears.
Jason Ancona did a great job! I was drawn back into the world and did not want to leave. I felt like I was back in high school with all the drama. Ahhh, it was so funny. I really wish Pi, Lightman, and Tollhouse went to my high school (if it was co-ed). I would SO want to be in the C.Y.A.. Also, if I was Vera, Pi's crush, I'd give Pi a chance. He's so sweet. The whole book was very entertaining. I can't wait until the next book (fingers crossed that there will be a next book). ( )
  bonbonsandreveries | Jun 17, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,511,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible