Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall

by Susan Ee

Series: Penryn & the End of Days (1)

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I was expecting another eye-rollingly dramatic novel about forbidden love. What I got was a gritty story about survival in the face of anarchy...and angels.

Penryn, the main character, has this tough, no-bullshit nature that makes her - and therefore her extremely chaotic world - really accessible to the reader...even if it did seem counteractive to her random bouts of internal swooning over Raffe (but hey. She's 17, so I guess I can let it go). Raffe is your typical Byronic brooder, made interesting by his role as crippled-but-vengeful fellow traveler. I liked Raffe's sense of humor, and his conversations with Penryn were enjoyable amidst all the running and surviving they had to do. The romance felt forced, but not so much that you couldn't like the story.

The biggest drawback of the book is pacing. The book dragged...a lot. First it felt like all they were doing was camping out in abandoned houses and bickering (sometimes cutely, but still). Then it felt like they entered Obi's camp in slow motion, caused some interesting trouble, then slowly dragged their way out. They tried not to get killed by weird flesh-eating child things. But then they were camping out forever again. And then they moved at a snail's pace in a car for like, a month to get to where the angels were.

And the sad part is, about 100 pages before the end of the book, when they finally arrived at the angels clubhouse - THAT'S when things got really, awesomely interesting. That's when I couldn't put the book down, because I was dying to know more about the reasoning behind the structure of the angelic society (like, why is 1920s fashion in?), the political workings between the archangels, and how elections and hierarchy worked in their world. There's a moment where you see some of Uriel's truly horrifying plans and then you're dying to know what the rest of them are, and how Raffe (and Penryn) might stop them. We get a glimpse of a potentially breathtaking bigger story for Penryn and Raffe...right before the book ends. Sigh.

So while this book is not my favorite I have a lot of hope. It took a long while to get there, but the author has opened up a very powerful arch, and I am eager to see where it goes! ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
Angels as the messengers from god and as awe-ful and awful as they are in accounts, and they're not fluffy but killers who are in a war they're not explaining with people who are caught in the crossfire, regarding normal humans as monkeys. Before this Penryn had problems, a disabled sister and a mother with serious mental health issues are not to be sneezed at. When her wheelchair bound sister is stolen by an angel she goes on the hunt and when she comes across an angel bleeding from having his wings cut off she forces him to help her, he's intrigued, particularly when his swords doesn't reject her.
Interesting read, I'm curious where this is going to go. There were portions where it was almost that she had to prove that Penryn was proving herself, or that she was going to have another indignity heaped on her. She has a messed up life no matter what way you look at it. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 2, 2017 |
A post-apocalyptic novel with violent angels falling from the sky to destroy humanity? Yes, please, sign me up for more! This book is engaging from the get-go, as a young teen attempts to navigate a rapidly changing world that has taken a decidedly paranormal turn. The author made this world very rich by incorporating the Northern California setting, with the characters fleeing attack in Silicon Valley, with broken smartphones scattered across the street and computer monitors being used as temporary building structures. Every engaging and a series I'm looking forward to continuing. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 9, 2017 |
Fierce kick butt female lead with a strong male angel and the world is crumbling to pieces... perfect read ( )
  NinaTest | Jan 9, 2017 |
Stupendous, thrilling, intense, and even suspenseful at times, I was anxious and terrified at what would happen next. This book was all these things and more. The authors storytelling was perfect, it flowed with ease and depth. I love Penryn, she's a true heroine, she's a bad-ass who kicks, you got it "ass". And Raffe, he is so chill that you sometimes forget he's a freaking angel that can rip you apart with his hands. This book was the bees knees, a magnificent, paranormal, suspenseful, post-apocalyptic, thrill ride. I'm giving myself a pat on the shoulder for not waiting too long to read this book and i'm now on a high and not sure which book would dare to follow it. Book 2 would have been great but no such luck. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |

Jansson, CarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MAILLARD, AlexandraTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soester, Selmasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, KathrinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,167,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible