Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:JenMat
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Skyscape, Kindle Edition, 288 pages

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)

I read this for the Cryptozoologist square for Halloween Bingo

Men with wings. Angels of the Apocalypse. Supernatural beings who’ve pulverized the modern world and killed millions, maybe even billions of people.

This is categorized as YA, which made me a little nervous but besides having a heroine, Penryn, who I think is supposed to be around 17yrs old and some causal, leaning towards immature talk, this read adultish.

Even the worst of the new street gangs leave the night to whatever creatures may roam the darkness in this new world.

The beginning had me pretty locked in, I'm always up for an apocalyptic story but as the story went on, I started to get frustrated with the lack of world building. This is only book 1 in a 3 book series but I'm growing a little tired of incomplete stories for the sake of stretching out to sell more books. This is all from the pov of the heroine, so we only know her side of things about the angels attack and a lot of the time she is awfully tight lipped about what happened. The angels seemed to have dropped down to earth one day and started blowing up cities but frankly, even that is vague. Did they attack all over the world? There is talk about humans (maybe) killing Gabriel, but was it at first sight or was there some communication?

Not even the angels know why they are here.

Through some conversations with our heroine's companion Raffe, an angel she saved from being killed by other angels, we, again, vaguely get some intel from the angel's side of things but Raffe doesn't seem to know a whole heck of a lot either. This can work to create some mystery and excitement to read on in the series, to gain and learn the answers but it can also make the world building seem flimsy and lazy, keeping me from wanting to read on.

My mind swirls with conflicting emotions. Who is the enemy in this room? Whose side am I on?

Since our heroine is so young, it felt a little awkward with the alluding to a building attraction between her and who is supposed to be a millennial old angel. She thinks his chest and face is hot, he seems to admire her fighting skills and towards the end of the book, thinks she looks hot in a tight dress, there wasn't much for me to go on with the hit you at the end supposed to be epic love loss.

From the front, they look human, but from the back and the sides, they look utterly alien. Plump scorpion tails grow out of their tailbones to curl over their heads. They end in needlelike stingers, ready for piercing.

Most of the book is the heroine and angel traveling together and us readers getting a vague introduction to the world and characters. There is obviously something up with the heroine's mom but, again, vague. Towards the end, we get hit with some truly creepy described visuals and the dirty, grungy, and hungry apocalyptic world, starts to bleed into more of a horror show. The wall of children was some truly inspired horrific stuff.

The author had a great way of writing scenes that gave me some fantastic visuals but the character depth and world building was lacking for me. Even though this is a series and I expect some questions to be left answered in the preceding, I need a solid foundation to want to carry the interest over to the next books; not completely sure that happened here. The visuals were good, having an agnostic angel was intriguing, but the attraction between the heroine and hero was awkward and the world building felt shallow. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Mijn volledige recensie lees je op:

Op aanraden van mijn jongste, nou ja eerder na lang drammen van haar kant, heb ik Penryn & het einde der dagen gekocht en gaan lezen.
Wel ze word hatelijk bedankt, want ik ben verkocht, weer nieuwe een serie waaraan ik verslaafd ben.
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
Ahem. Why the Hell is book two not out yet?

hee-hee, did ya see what I did there? with the Hell and all that. No? Yeah, it's okay, I know I'm not very clever.

O.M.G. this book. I think I may be in love. Where is the second book? I just reread the last five chapters for the THIRD time.
I need some more Raffe and Penryn.

I have actually known about this book for quite a while. It’s been on my radar for at LEAST six months at this point. What put me off from picking it up for so long, however, was the main characters name. Penryn. I don’t know why but that name just turns me off.
I’m completely fine with it now, though.
LOVE THIS BOOK.

Plot: 5/5
The pacing of this book was fast. We just jumped right in and shit started going down in the very first chapter.
I was ecstatic.
I’m also drawn to the plotline in which angels are not-entirely-good. Thus books like, Angel Burn, Immortal City and this one make it onto my favorites shelf.

Characters: 5/5
Penryn: I loved her voice. She was snarky, blunt, tough and smart. Pretty much my ideal main character.
Raffe: whew… *lets out a long, shuddering breath* love him so much.
Penryn’s Mom: I love insane people. They’re so much fun, you know?
Obi: did no one else think Obi Wan Kenobi when we met him? No one? Just me? That’s cool.
Dee-Dum: I have a thing with Alice in Wonderland. It gives me nightmares, yet I’m drawn to Alice-in-Wonderland movies and books. Probably because I hate myself. But I loved these two, and there were absolutely no nightmares involved.

The Romance: 5/5
Ooh, erg, gah!
I loved their whole relationship. They started out as not-quite-enemies, then they became the torturer and torturee, then the we’re-just-in-this-together-because-we-need-each-other boat, then onto friends NEAR QUOTE: I had been tricked into feeling better, then to Raffe pushing her away for her own safety, then back to the we-need-each-other phase, then the dramatic kiss, followed by Raffe saying “You know I don’t even like you,” even though it WAS COMPLETEY obvious to EVERYBODY ELSE that that was COMPLETE BULL SHIT, yet Penryn believed him and then they got to that whole tragedy-type-thing in the last five chapters… oh man, you bet I was hanging on every second, the whole fricking way.

2 points extra credit because while I was reading the last couple chapters of the Goddess Inheritance and SHIT WAS GOING DOWN, I was still THINKING ABOUT THIS ONE.

Overall grade: 17/15, in other words, an A double plus.

WHERE IS THE NEXT BOOK? I NEED IT NOW!!!

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I absolutely devoured this book. I'm a huge fan of most anything dystopian, post-apocalyptic etc....I was a bit hesitant that this has angels in it since my previous YA / angel themed books were quite predictable. I think that the main character Penryn is a wonderful heroine in this story. She is strong, realistic, and brave as she uses Raffe to try and find her sister who has been taken by the angels for some reason. Her attraction to Raffe was a bit predictable but I was totally OK by it. I think her schizophrenic mother is a very interesting character as well, she seems to have some advantages in this new world and uses her mental illness to her advantage. When I got to the last page of the book I was a bit upset that it ended where it did but luckily I had the next book ready to go! ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 27, 2018 |
4.5 stars

Why have so many books I've read in the last little while had some kind of scorpion monster involved? I'm enjoying the trend. Who knew that gritty, gory, and sexy could mesh so well in a YA framework. ( )
  lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |

Jansson, CarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MAILLARD, AlexandraTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soester, Selmasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, KathrinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,470,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible