Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

English (113)  Piratical (1)  All languages (114)
I really really enjoyed this book. Not sure why it took me so long to read since it's been on my list for a while now. I enjoyed the character Penryn - she's a tough girl who can fight her own battles and will do anything to save her family. And I enjoyed the angels. The book isn't long and doesn't take very long to read. That mixed with the page-turning quality of the story makes for an intense read. Watch out or you'll find yourself skipping from dialogue to dialogue in order to figure out what happens faster. I am really looking forward to the next book in the trilogy. Recommended if you enjoy dystopia or apocalyptic books. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 14, 2015 |
CANNOT CONTROL ALL THESE MOTHERFUCKING FANGIRL FEELINGS.

Please proceed for gifs:

When I first picked up this book, I didn't think it would be my cup of tea but after a dear friend recommended it, I decided to read it (considering our taste in books are very, very similar).

Well, all I can say is I was pleasantly surprised! Penryn is a kick-ass heroine that restates your faith that not all authors are subjecting their writing to pitiful Mary Sues and overdone plots. [a:Susan Ee|4890182|Susan Ee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1370738953p2/4890182.jpg] picked up a subject that hasn't been seen a lot: What if Angels came to this Earth to wipe us out?

Whether you're a believer or not, the idea is pretty damn scary.

When Penryn's wheelchair bound baby sister Paige is kidnapped by the evil angels that have invaded the Earth with the intention to destroy it, she, in turn, kidnaps one of their own and sets out on a mission to find her.

Of course, her 'victim' is fucking gloriously gorgeous. His name is Raffe (or Archangel Raphael) and the fact that he's a grade A asshole with too much sarcasm and an attitude to boot only makes him more irresistible. After he lost his wings to the hooligans that took Penryn's sister, he begrudgingly agrees to help her out.

What I absolutely LOVE about this book is that it's not a love story. It's about survival, fighting and doing everything you can to save the person you love the most. Although they are sworn mortal enemies, both Raffe and Penryn understand that they must trust each other and work together to both get what they need. Throughout the book, an unlikely friendship begins to bloom (and burn) and maybe a little bit of romance, too.

It's not a plot that's been done and overcooked so much it's hard to digest. It's new and heartbreaking and really makes you realise (although entirely fictional) that you should never take anything for granted.

Why did you only give it three stars then?!

The ONLY reasons I gave this three stars is because it fell straight into the heart of the action without giving us any background information on how or why it happened. Penryn mentions a handful of times that the world went crazy when soldiers shot the Archangel Gabriel but that the attacks happened before then.

What attacks? Why did the human race convert into monsters, too?

She also mentions her father a lot and how he left them when Paige had the accident that left her wheelchair bound, but why did he leave? Where is he? What does he do? I'd have liked a bit more information on these details rather than dive straight into the action of the story.

I will most likely raise my rating once I read more of the series, but I would definitely recommend you read this book and if you do so, please keep an open mind.

Cheerio!

Thank you Ayesha for recommending me this book!

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
I would honestly rate it 4.5 stars, but since I don't believe in half stars I raised it to 5 because of Raffe. No more explanations are needed.

EDIT (6/15/2014): I was just trying to check Google Voice on my computer, so I typed in "goo" then pressed enter because I assumed Chrome would help me. But of course it took me to Goodreads because I visit Goodreads so much more than I visit Google Voice. So I'm calmly checking Goodreads out. Everything's fine. Then I see Ms. Ee's post: Today only - Angelfall and World After for just $1.99! So now I own [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)|Susan Ee|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765] AND [b:World After|12983100|World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)|Susan Ee|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1379064538s/12983100.jpg|18142457]! ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Oh my god. Ten out of five stars!!! Everyone read this book already! It's so freaking amazing!! ...ok so this may seem like a cliche overrated book about angel and post-apocalypse. But believe me. It's awesome, Susan Ee definitely knows how to write, she has me going on the first page and done with! She has created an amazing cast of characters dishing out the greatest heroine played and the kick-ass Raffe! But there is a lot of blood and gore but that makes it all the better. There is so much action and seriously, how much more dangerous can this deteriorating world get?! This book is sensational and the sequel can't arrive quick enough. ( )
  Annannean | Jan 6, 2015 |
I'm not sure if it is the fact that dystopian/ post-apocalyptic novels may not be my thang or that this book in particular dragged on for no reason but it did just that. Here is a book that got great reviews, was about warrior Angels (usually pretty cool) coming to Earth to smite the Humans (for reasons unbeknownst to them) in a post apocalyptic world. Why they invaded and what they were truly up to was not fleshed out in this book which is really annoying but a smart way to make me read the sequel to find out the truth. I liked the writing style. Susan Ee was really brilliant in the character development. I really loved the heroine, Penryn! who is a bad ass that is loyal and damaged but all around kick ass, the REALLY Bad Guys were super hateable and the others elicited equally deep responses. There was pretty intense action, scandalous sexual tension, a touch of horror (not really my thing), and pretty good dialogue... sounds like a good recipe right? For some reason it didn't really touch me like many YA books have recently. I found myself checking the pages to see how close to the end I was (and not in a good way). I was really torn on how to rate this book but for now, just having finished it, I am going to stick with my rating. I might revisit it once I have had some time to mull it over ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 30, 2014 |
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

124 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,718,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible