Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

The world changed in an instant when the angels attacked. Six weeks later, in a southern California that's been decimated and reduced to gangs and refugees, Penryn and her schizophrenic mother and her wheelchair-bound sister Paige try to escape their apartment. But when they happen around a group of angels attacking another one and one of the attackers takes Paige, Penryn and the hurt angel, Raffe, create an uneasy alliance to try to rescue Paige.

While it's still a chaotic dystopic world, the presence of angels at the center push it more on the fantasy side of the genre. The plot moves full-steam ahead from the very first page and it's a fairly short book so it's a good recommendation for teens who like an adrenaline rush. There's not a lot of world- or character-building; part of the whole point is that nobody knows what the angels want or why they're attacking. Hopefully the second book will explain more. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 23, 2014 |
Let Angelfall be an example for us that publishing houses don't always have the perfect choosing ability. This makes me want to read more self-published books; who knows what hidden gems we'll find?

Imagine this scene in which a publisher is arguing with his boss over Angelfall:

Boss: Look at this atrocity! Who is going to want to read this?!

Publisher: But I found it entertaining to read.

Boss: *scoffs*Entertaining to read? This is most certainly not an enjoyable book to read. Where are the vital components of a young adult book? Where is the insta-love? The love triangle? The perfect female lead? Angelfall does not conform to our standards.

Publisher: But, I think—

Boss: You think teens these days want to read a book like this – an imperfect protagonist, a love interest who isn’t over protective and there to save the day? No.

Publisher: Isn’t it better that this book takes a different approach to this topic, and doesn’t severely underestimate the intelligence of our target audience?

Boss: No, it is not. People don’t like change. Look at all the copies of the books that go by our standards have sold. Look at all the copies that Twilight and Hush Hush have sold.People don’t care if it is virtually the same story but with different characters; they just care about the romance.

Publisher: Sir, that is very unfair of your to judge people like that.

Boss: Meh. This book is utter rubbish.

*Tosses book in the trash*

Too bad for them. Susan Ee be all like:

This book has EVERYTHING I crave in my paranormal books. Every. Freakin. Thing.

Interesting plot? Check.
Believable heroine? Check.
Slow-developing romance? Check.
Goes in depth on angels, without any info-dumps? Check.
Well-written setting? Check.

I must say, my favorite part was when Penryn pretended to be an angel, by holding wings behind her back to give the illusion that she is an angel, in order to save Raffe. I swear, this had me laughing for at least 5 minutes straight.

And the fact that she slaps Raffe when she first meets him? That just increased my liking of her. This girl's got brains, she's tough, and best of all, she's funny.

The end had me horrified. This is certainly how a post-apocalyptic novel should be written, and it is written perfectly. I am waiting for that next book! ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
Of all the apocalyptic books I’ve read lately I have to admit, I haven’t seen one done quite this way. You’d think the end days would be brought on by demons, zombies, vampires, plague. But no – this is the An angel apocalypse baby! – Who would have thought? And because of that Angelfall is unique, fast paced, and enjoyable as hell! Susan Ee has an amazing sense of humor that shines through in her characters and because of that I immediately connected with them.

But the thing that really convinces me that the apocalypse is here is the crunching of smartphones under my feet. Nothing short of the end of the world would get our eco-conscious techies to toss their latest gadgets onto the street. – location 155

I have to insert here – that I live close to the city that the main character Penryn is named after…because I never even considered the name of this town as a name for a girl and now I love it!

“I’m Penryn. I’m named after an exit off Interstate 80.” – location 1930

Penryn has had a difficult life growing up. It’s just her, her little sister, and mother. Not an uncommon family makeup – but her mother is pretty unstable; a danger to herself and others. And her little sister Paige is wheelchair bound. With all of this Penryn has had to grow up fast. There are also some interesting advantages that her mother’s mental illness have given her now that the apocalypse is here. So Penryn is a strong and resourceful young woman, with some kick ass klout. Unfortunately, the trio finally decides to leave their home to find a new place, they witness an angel being beaten and sliced up by a group of other angels. Penryn assists this angel Raffe and the other angels end up kidnapping her sister. So what does Penryn do? Why she pretty much tries to take Raffe as a hostage to convince him he must tell her where the angels might have taken Paige.

There is a lot of tension building and character development that takes place between Penryn and Raffe that I freaking adored! This wasn’t the typical young adult book that I’ve read so many times. It had a solid storyline and world building, the pacing was excellent and the supporting cast was well fleshed out. Not to mention, there is a slow burn that happens between Penryn and Raffe that made Angelfall an absolute delight to read! There is no insta-love here folks. But what I like best about it – is that it starts out with a heavy dose of freaking snark!

“Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. “You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.” – location 1254

I was continually surprised by how unique the storyline was and each direction that was taken was something completely unexpected for me. I can honestly say I didn’t foresee many of these cool and creepy things that made up parts of this book.

The best element for me though was the fact that I did not feel like this was in any way a biblical or religious feeling book despite the fact that angels were a main plot point. I normally stay away from angel fiction because frequently those books can start to feel preachy and I can not stand when that happens. Thankfully, that is not something the reader has to worry about at all in Angelfall. You can just read and freaking enjoy the awesome mythos that Susan Ee has built. I for one am foaming at the mouth to read the next book World After! ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
I was of the impression, before I started this book, that we really didn't need any more YA angel stories. Been there, read that, nothing different, yawn, big flapping things. But after seeing so many glowing reviews for this book, I thought (as I do!) I'd give it a go.

It's the apocalypse. And the end of humankind can be attributed to the angels who flew down from somewhere (not yet been confirmed if it is in fact from Heaven!) and started destroyed the world as we know it. 17-year-old Penryn spends her time and energy trying to find food and shelter for her wheelchair bound sister, Paige, and their schizophrenic mother. But when they witness a fight (five on one, mind you!) between angels, where the one has his wings sliced off (ouch!), Paige is swept up by an angel and carried off. Her mother having fled, Penryn knows she must do anything to find her sister, and she'll use the injured wingless angel as a hostage to help her.

I enjoyed this book far more than any of the other 'angel' books I have read. The apocalypse seems so surreal and yet because of it, it is fascinating. Penryn is strong, determined and stubborn but despite this tough facade you can see how important her sister is to her and that she really will do anything to get her back. Raffe, the injured angel, is intriguing. I really want to know his backstory, and more of Penryn's too. Slow reveals are agonising but I think this one will be worth it in the end! I like how Penryn thinks, how she won't let anyone tell her what to do. There was a line that stuck out to me, But I'm not quite ready to throw away centuries of scientific progress to start thinking like a medieval peasant (page 235). So they say they're messengers from God? Prove it!

There were a few lines that made me chuckle as well, especially watching Raffe and Penryn trade insults. But also my heart broke a little bit to see how much he cared for her in the end, knowing that as its the end of the world and all, there may not be anything for them. Especially considering the cross-species thing. All in all I was thoroughly entertained by this novel and am looking forward to the next one! So much for not caring for more angel books!

4.5 stars ( )
  crashmyparty | Apr 22, 2014 |
Seriously. If this book still only .99 right now you need to hurry up and buy it immediately. It's a best seller, no doubt about it and I am sure the price will get jacked soon, which it should because it is a good book and the author should be paid for her work. I feel like paying 9.99 (normal Kindle ebook price) would have been well, well worth it.

Very exciting and thrilling, nonstop, action-packed. Those are the reasons why people are comparing it to Hunger Games. Don't be fooled by the obvious "angel" theme of the book - it's not like that. It also gets compared to HG because it is graphically violent and disturbing, so beware. But also don't worry, it doesn't read like a knock-off or a fan-fic. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

124 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,662,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible