Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

English (107)  Piratical (1)  All languages (108)
Loved the unexpectedness (new word!) of this novel. :) ( )
  greenscoop | Nov 15, 2014 |
Angelfall is a dystopian fantasy novel set in a post-apocalyptic world. It's about a girl named Penryn whose sister gets taken away by angels. In an attempt to try and save her, she "rescues" an angel named Raffe and "interrogates" him, to laughable results.

If anyone doesn't automatically pick up on what Raffe's rank in the angels just from the name, go and do your research on angels. As soon as I read the name, I knew exactly who it was going to be.

The premise is interesting and the execution is good, but not great. There are some parts that I wish were longer, and other parts that I wish were sped up. Penryn is a bit of a foolish girl, especially when it comes to executing some of her ideas, but she is strong and she does kick ass. I think I can forgive her for being a bit of an idiot.

I really don't know what to say in this review without leaving spoilers everywhere. All I can say is that you should give it a try if you think it's interesting. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |

*Book source ~ Kindle Lending Library

Seventeen-yr-old Penryn Young becomes the head of her small family when her dad abandons them. Her mother is a paranoid schizophrenic and her seven-yr-old sister Paige is in a wheelchair. When the angels come to Earth causing mass destruction the world as Pen knows it ends. Gangs run the streets during the day and angels fly in patrols looking for stragglers. After six weeks of scavenging nearby buildings for food and supplies Pen decides to move her family from their apartment building to the hills for safety. She knows the chances of making it are slim, but she has to try. That one decision sets in motion events she could have never foreseen and certainly never wanted.

This a decent YA post-apocalyptic tale especially if you like angels. Though the angels are total asshats. Doge says Wow. Pen is a pretty good character, her mom is a nut bunny and I didn’t get a chance to see much of her sister since she was snatched at the beginning. Then there’s the angel Raffe. Hmmmm…he’s a hottie, but an ass. Not a complete ass, but then he’s hurt and Pen saves his life. Sorta. Anyway, they form an uneasy alliance and from there it’s a journey to find Pen’s sister and for Raffe to get his wings reattached. They meet some interesting people along the way and something else that is pretty damn creepy.

Told from only Pen’s POV, the writing is pretty good and I enjoyed the story, but I wasn’t bowled over by it. It’s interesting enough that I would continue the series especially since it ended unfinished. I’m not saying it’s a huge cliffhanger or anything, but Pen’s and Raffe’s story (and the humans, for that matter) is far from over. I’m curious about what happens next. A battle has been won, but winning the war is a long way off. All-in-all an enjoyable ride through an angel apocalypse. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Aug 22, 2014 |
I got this book over a year ago during a post Christmas sale at Amazon and never got round to reading it. And recently seen a lot of reviews/liked reviews on my goodreads time line which looked to be people reading/rereading in preparation for the release of the sequel.

So I figured why not finally get round to reading it myself? I started off enjoying it, a very disturbing post apocalyptic world and a great lead character. I liked it, but I didn't really see the fuss and plodded along with it, it was okay. suspense was building, admittedly I was waiting for what I thought to be the inevitable romance kick in with Penryn and Raffe. It didn't happen, at least not in the way I thought.

Tension between the two main characters was great, and some bits were pretty damn creepy. Though I was finding it a little slow going. Then after around the 70% mark the plot picked up and became fantastic. Penryn's discoveries were downright fucking horrible, emotional and the plot gripping right to the end.

So what I thought to fe an okay middle of the road dystopia turned out to be pretty damn awesome.
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

124 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,458,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible