Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

English (116)  Piratical (1)  All languages (117)
I’ve been trying for weeks now to actually come up with a great review for Angelfall. I honestly don’t know how to. All I can think about when I want to review this book is, of Supernatural.

I’ve recently fallen in love with this show (I'm on Season 2!). This show is full of Angels, Demons, Ghosts, wicked fights, blood and even romance!

And that is exactly what I found in Angelfall. Penryn Young is a seventeen-year-old girl living in a post-apocalyptic world. The angels have descended from Heaven and have decided to eradicate the human race. The streets of California are dangerous; divided by gangs and angels roaming the streets. When the angels capture Penryn’s sister, she decides to team up with Raffe, an angel without wings. Along with Raffe, Penryn travels to the angel’s lair, so Penryn can save her sister once and for all. Can she trust Raffe, when all he wants is his wings back? Penryn will risk anything to save her sister, including her own life- and her heart.

I am SO glad I read this book when I did. I actually had the paperback in my bookshelf ever since 2011, but I never picked it up for some strange reason. It wasn’t until a few months ago, when Alise from Readers in Wonderland told me that I absolutely HAD to read it that I picked it up.

This story starts off really strong. Penryn is a great heroine! I’ve got to say that she probably tops the list of Kickass Heroines! Her mother made her take every single self-defense class you can imagine, so she’s very capable to take care of herself. Which is great, because when we first get a glimpse of how kick-ass she is, she’s defending an angel from being attacked. Imagine that: a seventeen year-old girl, defending a big, bad, strong angel. And not any angel either, the very dark, very mysterious, very sarcastic and cocky, Raffe.

Raffe is not your common angel. He’s drop-dead gorgeous (even without his wings) with deep blue eyes and a perfectly sculpted body, all taut and muscled. He's also incredibly witty and sarcastic, and very stubborn at times. His interactions with Penryn were a great comic relief, because Raffe definitely knew how to make her smile.

“Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. “You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”

He chuckles. “Evolution.” He leans over as if telling me a secret. “I’ll have you know that I’ve been this perfect since the beginning of time.” He is so close that his breath caresses my ear.
“Oh, please. Your giant head is getting too big for this forest. Pretty soon, you’re going to get stuck trying to walk between two trees. And then, I’ll have to rescue you.” I give him a weary look. “Again.”

Another great aspect in this book is the romance. The romance here isn’t predominant, and doesn’t take focus from the actual story, but it’s still really good. It felt like a natural progression in the book; something that couldn’t be helped. And I completely ate it up, because Raffe and Penryn are absolutely perfect for each other! They both complimented each other SO well; they were what they needed for each other.

There are a few religious undertones, but they are just the right amount, just enough to make the book legitimately about angels. I enjoyed it very much.

The best aspect of this book has to be the constant plot-twists. The last chapters leave you completely breathless! This whole book is a build-up to something amazing, with constant fight scenes, new developments, and lots and lots of mind-blowing moments!

Also, the world building is spot on and Susan Ee’s writing is totally captivating. You will not be able to put this book down once you start it!

Overall, an amazing book with kick-ass characters, great plot twists, and a heart-wrenching ending that will leave you breathless and wanting more! I recommend this for fans of Supernatural, you will LOVE it! ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
Free copy of this ebook was provided by NETGALLEY in exchange for a review. Thank you! :D

*FANGIRLEANDO*

No doy abasto, amigos!!
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Never thought I would enjoy a book where angels are the soldiers of the apocalypse. Pretty good one. And the girl is not stupid, that's a plus.
A lot goes on unexplained, but I guess it adds to the mystery; even the motivations of the main characters seem a mystery... I hope this doesn't get ruined by corny feelings.
It almost, almost went to the normal-plain-girl-loving-monster-that's-actually-a-good-guy area. I'm amazed it didn't, but still not completely convinced about it. No, this is not a Bella-Edward thing again...so far. I'll wait for next book to get better explanations about his motivations. ( )
  aka_no_joou | May 19, 2015 |
I absolutely devoured this book. I'm a huge fan of most anything dystopian, post-apocalyptic etc....I was a bit hesitant that this has angels in it since my previous YA / angel themed books were quite predictable. I think that the main character Penryn is a wonderful heroine in this story. She is strong, realistic, and brave as she uses Raffe to try and find her sister who has been taken by the angels for some reason. Her attraction to Raffe was a bit predictable but I was totally OK by it. I think her schizophrenic mother is a very interesting character as well, she seems to have some advantages in this new world and uses her mental illness to her advantage. When I got to the last page of the book I was a bit upset that it ended where it did but luckily I had the next book ready to go! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
I joined Goodreads in October 2010 after finding it through Google in hopes of discovering my next favorite read after I had just finished the Harry Potter series. I remember seeing Angelfall left and right but I didn't pay any attention to it after I read the blurb. It just wasn't my kind of book. I didn't have a wide variety of tastes back then. I was finishing the Georgia Nicholson series and was really into celebrity biographies and food related science. I had no interest in reading a book about Angels, whatsoever. But, I am so glad I finally decided to read Angelfall. It has made me FEEL ALL THE FEELS, as the internet would say. After I was finished with it I was so glad I had World After sitting right next to me. Angelfall is just one of those books where you HAVE to read the next one right away. I have a special spot in my heart for books I cannot wait to read. Sort of like binge-watching a TV show on Netflix. But I can't make a person write faster. (I wish this world was like the movie Limitless.)

Susan Ee was a normal person once, now she is an extremely popular author. Susan has one of those life stories where you just feel happy that she went with an idea. As I was reading Angelfall I thought wow, this is actually a book I want to be reading, this is not an author that just takes a formula and runs with it. I mean, we all know those novels in the young adult genre that follow a girl's fight for survival, to be heard, to get what she wants, etc. But Ee created a main female character that never gave up, that thought real thoughts, that one could relate to. My mind doesn't even compute Angelfall in the same category as most of the other Young Adult novels I have read. I still love the ones I love and hate the ones I hate, but Angelfall was more of an adult-minded novel for me.

The first note I wrote for this book was: "Raffe will probably grow on me..." He did. But I didn't fall in love with him, although I did appreciate the slow-burning romance between him and Penryn.

Penryn is the main character. She is a 17 year old young woman who has a certified crazy person for her mother (she is off her drugs) and a 7 year old little sister bound to a wheelchair. The first thing we experience in Angelfall is the family's fight for survival after the angels have come down onto Earth. Gangs of humans have taken over, and what is left of other survivors either join them or fight for their own survival out of sight.

Penryn saves an angel... he turns out to be a seriously good looking tall dude named Raffe. (He was tall, right? In my mind he definitely was.) But in the struggle, her little sister, Paige, is captured and taken away to the angels' aerie. So, Penryn has to save her. Somehow she manages to get Raffe to help her with her journey to find the aerie and save her sister. Along the way we meet some characters at all possible places on the spectrum between love & hate. Penryn knows how to take advantage of her surroundings, she has learned from experience, she has taught herself lots of things-including martial arts, and she... get this.... thinks ahead! Planning ahead, to me, in young adult literature is unthinkable. I can't think of another series where a young female character is actually concerned about the cause & effect of their actions.

The ending gave me nightmares. Literally! I stayed up late to finish it and I ended up having my first real-feeling nightmare I have had in a long time. It involved the scorpions, zombies (for some reason... there are none in the book), and my own little sister. So, to say the least, Angelfall was incredibly real for me. From the relatable & lovable characters, the slow-burning/"come on already!" romance, all the way to the painful ending.

One thing that I did not like was Penryn's idea that "humans are savages" now that the angels are on Earth. I noticed this idea several times throughout. It left me wondering if this will be resolved in future books; will Penryn discover that angels and humans are alike in their nature (which she partially did, but I didn't feel that this was completely resolved) or will Ee make her realize that humans were most definitely savages before the angels came?

I would recommend this book to anyone. Seriously, anyone. It is one of those books I WILL make my fiance read at some point... Because I love it so much! ( )
  theindigoshelf | Mar 22, 2015 |
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,858,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible