Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

English (140)  Piratical (1)  All languages (141)
Let me preface this by pointing out that I generally avoid the YA genre. Every now and then I will dip my toe in for the more popular ones (Hunger Games I LOVED, Twilight not so much), and that's where I was with this one. This one has lots of positive reviews, but the YA label made me keep putting off reading it. When I was approved through Netgalley (it's being released in the UK) I saw it as a sign that the universe wanted me to finally read it.

No regrets.

While there are a few tropes that define the reason I stay away from the genre (a girly dance party scene complete with glitter, the guy that is older than the universe but acts like a twenty year old, and loads of self-absorption), for the most part I was able to relate to Penryn in a way that tends to always pass me by with YA novels. Maybe I'm just too old for them, but when there are life-and-death issues going on all around, I expect the characters to act in an appropriate self-preservationist fashion. Penryn was attempting to survive a crazy situation she wasn't prepared for, and made it relatively believable. Minus the angels.

There's been a lot said about this book, so I'll end it there. But I'm glad I can also jump right into the second book since they have all been released by now. I wouldn't say that this one ends on a cliffhanger, but it's definitely open-ended.

Copy courtesy of Amazon Children's Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I bought Angelfall forever ago and only now came round to reading it. I was quickly taken by surprise not only because it was better than I expected, but the quality of Ee's storytelling. Penryn's story is engrossing, eerie, creepy, a half dozen other adjectives that don't even come close to describing it's greatness. Only be prepared to be thoroughly sucked in and desperate for the sequel and you'll have a good idea what I mean. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
More enjoyable than the average YA paranormal post-apocalpytic romance. It was entertaining and quick paced. Suitable for reading in one sitting. However, the writing lacks nuance. (Example: a mother with schizophrenia acts like a caricature of a mentally ill person). The premise, characters, plot, etc., are obvious, unoriginal and predictable. (Nutshell version: Beautiful, emotionally traumatized yet uber competent badass heroine must rescue kidnapped, innocent golden hearted paraplegic little sister, meets super powerful paranormal Adonis, they go on the mission and do badass things... okay, I'm sure you see where this is going.) Nothing new here but still fun to read. ( )
  Pretear | Jul 23, 2016 |
Strong characters in a fascinating world. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 22, 2016 |
It was a great book and I'm looking forward to reading the second one.

Longer review soon. ( )

Davies, CaitlinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MAILLARD, AlexandraTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soester, Selmasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, KathrinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,206,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible