Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

English (135)  Piratical (1)  All languages (136)
See the complete review posted on Book Frivolity. Check out other Fantasy and Historical Fiction ruminations there as well! Holy horrors! Now I am going to have nightmares about miniature versions of the Bond villain Jaws. It really had a bigger horror element than I suspected, but it was still really enjoyable. I am not overly eager to pick up the next one, but one day, it shall be done!

See here how I totally missed the mark about where this book was heading @ Story Time with Kristobelle ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
Stupendous, thrilling, intense, and even suspenseful at times, I was anxious and terrified at what would happen next. This book was all these things and more. The authors storytelling was perfect, it flowed with ease and depth. I love Penryn, she's a true heroine, she's a bad-ass who kicks, you got it "ass". And Raffe, he is so chill that you sometimes forget he's a freaking angel that can rip you apart with his hands. This book was the bees knees, a magnificent, paranormal, suspenseful, post-apocalyptic, thrill ride. I'm giving myself a pat on the shoulder for not waiting too long to read this book and i'm now on a high and not sure which book would dare to follow it. Book 2 would have been great but no such luck. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
It was free on Kindle Unlimited, so I gave it a try. The book was okay, but it lacked the level of complexity that would suck me into the story. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
meh, 2.5 stars would be a more accurate review. not terrible, not amazing, glad I didn't buy it. ( )
  heylu | Mar 4, 2016 |
I thought that this was a pretty good read. There were some really great parts. Such as the paranoid schizophrenic mother who forced her daughter to take numerous self-defence classes, in case the daughter should ever need to defend herself from HER. That does something moving to my insides. I also liked Penryn and Raffie, as well as Obi and his crew.

I did occasionally wonder where all the normal people were. I mean there had to be a few non-homicidal or non-victimised people out there. There just had to be. But Penryn only seemed to meet up with potential murders or completely broken people. That didn't feel particularly realistic to me. Sure there'd obviously be some, even a lot, but EVERYONE?

That's a small quibble though. I only have two real complaints. One is that the whole thing had a bit of a 'we did this, then I did this, and then this happened' feel to it. This is often hard to avoid with any first person, present tense narrative, but I REALLY felt it here. What's more, it felt very much like we were JUST getting an accounting of what Penryn was doing, without feeling like it was also leading up to anything. It felt like it just so happened that this minute to minute accounting of her life occurred in the midst of a post-apocalyptic dystopian future, as opposed to this future angelic war zone and her contributions to it being pivotal to it in any way. Interesting, but unimportant to the whole. I'm not saying that was the case, just that it felt that way.

The second is that the question of WHY is never addressed. It's a bit like reading a novel set during D-Day without anyone knowing or telling the reader what World War II was about or why June 6th, 1944 was important. This lack of understanding stole a bit of the gravity from the story.

On the whole, however, I read it in a day and enjoyed it. I'd even be interested in picking up the sequel at some point.
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |

Susan Eeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, CaitlinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible