Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

654None14,694 (4.27)17
Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

Seriously. If this book still only .99 right now you need to hurry up and buy it immediately. It's a best seller, no doubt about it and I am sure the price will get jacked soon, which it should because it is a good book and the author should be paid for her work. I feel like paying 9.99 (normal Kindle ebook price) would have been well, well worth it.

Very exciting and thrilling, nonstop, action-packed. Those are the reasons why people are comparing it to Hunger Games. Don't be fooled by the obvious "angel" theme of the book - it's not like that. It also gets compared to HG because it is graphically violent and disturbing, so beware. But also don't worry, it doesn't read like a knock-off or a fan-fic. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
I love this book so much that I could not put it down! I was so sad when it was over and even sadder that I did not have the second book to continue on immediately. I will definitely be continuing on with the series! ( )
  Amber_Moate | Mar 31, 2014 |
Great book! Can't wait until the next book in the series! ( )
  RosanneE | Mar 14, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

Yet again, I’m not sure what the hype was for. I thought the plot of this book was pretty action-packed and exciting, and I thought the characters were pretty well done, but I found this one lacking in several respects. I’ll start with what I liked though.

Penryn is a decent character. She’s strong-willed, stubborn, and dedicated to protecting her family, so she drives the plot forward the whole time. Enough of her backstory is filled in that we come to understand her motivations reasonably well. Most of the characters are similarly well-characterized, even though, since the story is told from Penryn’s POV, we don’t learn but so much about them, especially the angels. However, there’s enough information given that the plot keeps flowing smoothly.

The plot, like I said, never slowed down. It was a quick-moving story, and there were no excessive lulls that turned me off. Whenever the pace would begin to drop, another important event would occur, bringing the tension back into the story. Just as it’s supposed to be. No problems there.

I had two major issues with this book though. One of them has to do with the writing, so I’m going to save it for the writing section. The other is the world-building.

Or, rather, what world-building? I was distraught when I realized how sparse the world-building in this story was. It’s an apocalypse story, so you generally expect some detail about the apocalypse. But it was glossed over repeatedly. Sure, you have the standard abandoned buildings and scavenging for food and what not, but the story never goes into any detail about the fall of mankind besides some vague references to angels attacking cities. What happened? Seriously. I would have loved to know how the apocalypse went down.

I also wasn’t quite convinced that the world would degrade so quickly in six weeks’ time. That was a pretty compressed time frame given a lot of the “fall of civilization” descriptions floating around in the story.

Lastly, the mythos concerning the angels was really confusing. I understand that Penryn doesn’t know anything about the angels, but the few details we do get are…not very clear. Why do all the angels look so different from one another? What have they actually done to the world since they “attacked the cities”? What powers do they possess? Why are they so similar to humans? What’s their endgame? What is up with the freaky stuff at the end of the book?

I’m assuming some of the answers are in the sequel, but I wasn’t satisfied with the lack of detail in this one. There was a lot that could have been included that wouldn’t have spoiled any future points — namely details about what went on for the six weeks society was falling apart.

Anyway, on to the writing issue.

_____

Writing

My only other problem with this book was the writing. I found it somewhat…basic? There’s nothing wrong with simple writing. Not at all. But this struck me as less consciously simple and more immature. There were too many repetitive descriptions, too many references to eyes, a little too much introspection here and there. The writing style, while easy to read, wasn’t particularly engaging. I think Penryn’s thoughts meander too much too frequently. They could have been more concentrated and delivered the same amount of information in much less time, thus making room for additional world-building details.

_____

Is It Worth Reading?

Well, it’s not bad. But it’s not something I would write home about either. A quick, relatively enjoyable read, but, as often happens with hyped-up books, I didn’t quite think it was at the level the hype suggested it was. ( )
  TherinKnite | Mar 5, 2014 |
this story got my attention from the first page. it was very hard to put down, and I'm looking forward to reading book 2. I'd recommend this book for 15 years and above. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 4, 2014 |
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

124 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible