Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

English (119)  Piratical (1)  All languages (120)
It has been six weeks since the end of the world. Angels of the apocalypse descended to Earth and life as we know it was destroyed. Street gangs rule the day and things out of nightmares rule the night. Penryn has taken it upon herself to protect and take care of her family, her crippled seven year old sister and borderline psychotic mother. Caught witnessing a brutal attack on one of their own kind, Penryn's sister is abducted by warrior angels. All Penryn knows is she must find her and get little Paige back somehow, even if it means teaming up with the enemy.

Angelfall is the first in Penryn & the End of Days series by Susan Ee. The world building is short and to the point. We're given a post-apocalyptic Earth that is both familiar and strange enough to set the tone for the story to come. It has a feeling of wrongness to it that doesn't ever quite go away but also doesn't intrude on the storytelling.

The story takes the stereotypical idea of angels and turns them all on their head. While all have the basic look of angels we're used to, inhumanly beautiful with feathery wings, they come in many sizes, colors and factions. We are introduced to this by Penryn's point of view as she mentally labels them "the Politican" or "the cheetah" based on their general appearance and how they act. As the story progresses we're given more insight into angel society and how all is not well even within the enemy's ranks. Ee even manages to make the angels morally ambiguous by the time we reach the end of the book.

Ee's characters are well written and feel real. Penryn is a great female lead. She is both strong and vulnerable and acts just as you imagine seventeen year old who has taken on the responsibility of keeping her family alive might. She is willfully stubborn, loyal to a fault and not afraid to fight for what she believes in. You also get a good glimpse into the broken family dynamic with a mother that is suffering from severe mental illness who may have single handedly put her youngest child into a wheelchair during a psychotic episode. This adds another layer of tension to the story as Penryn is forced to guard herself and her sister from enemies both without and within. Raffe takes a little longer to get to know with his depth of character revealed slowly as the story progresses. By the end I found myself rooting for both characters.

Yes, there is a romance. It is understated and plays a minor role that enhances the story rather than distracts from it.

There are plenty of action scenes and some fairly disturbing sequences that border on the horror genre. Yet even those do not detract from the story at all. Instead they help with the world's sense of wrongness.

It's straight on to book 2 for me! ( )
  Narilka | Aug 23, 2015 |
Wow, just wow....

It has been a very long time since i've read a YA novel that i liked.

This book was awesome. In a post apocalyptic world a young girl does everything she can to save her baby sister. The end of days is caused by angels and she has no choice but to join forces with one of the enemy.

The main character is young, 17 years of age, but nothing about her is young and innocent. She does everything she needs to to survive.

A very good novel.. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
This is one of those books that I have had on my mental "to be read" piles for a long time. I had heard lots of wonderful things about it, but it just took me awhile to get through my rather lengthy queue to get to it. And now that I have read it, I am wondering just why I waited?!!

It's the end of the world as we know it. Our heroine is bad ass. Our hero is not just unlikely, but seemingly impossible. A crazy family dynamic and the quest to save a precious loved one. Danger, fantasy, humor, and twists and turns galore! What more can you want, especially when it is all wrapped up in fantastic writing?!

It's a post-apocalyptic world that comes at the hands of the angel. It is an interesting twist on stereotypical angel lore as the mythos of the book is played out. Angels are not quite so benevolent in this world and their actions are devastating for those on Earth. Chaos reigns and it is clearly a time of survival of the fittest.

Penryn is the badass heroine and she is one of all-time favorites. She is tough because she has to be. The world has gone to hell and she has a mother and a little sister to protect. She is determined, even when she knows that that determination is likely to cause her trouble. But she doesn't hesitate in her quest to do right by her family, even if it means sacrificing her own safety.

The story is told through Penryn's eyes, but the other characters are equally as interesting and developed as Penryn herself. One of these is Raffe, the angel that Penryn saves at the unintentional cost of her little sister. He is mysterious and often pretty surly, but even with that, we still are able to get an idea of who he really is through his interactions with Penryn. Her mother, too, is a character about whom little is revealed, but she is important to the story, even if we don't yet know what drives her to act as she does.

The book is amazing, with twists and turns and a story that turns angel mythology on its side. I love post-apocalyptic novels, although I tend to shy away from ones that may have religious themes... like angels. But this is not at all like that and the story is simply amazing. It isn't a standard HEA book, but explores the dark side of humanity through angels, demons, and the humans caught in the middle.

My Recommendation: This is a fantastic read and I highly suggest you read it. The story line is gripping and unique! ( )
  Kiki870 | Jul 8, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on: Boricuan Bookworms

I’ve been trying for weeks now to actually come up with a great review for Angelfall. I honestly don’t know how to. All I can think about when I want to review this book is, of Supernatural.

I’ve recently fallen in love with this show (I'm on Season 2!). This show is full of Angels, Demons, Ghosts, wicked fights, blood and even romance!

And that is exactly what I found in Angelfall. Penryn Young is a seventeen-year-old girl living in a post-apocalyptic world. The angels have descended from Heaven and have decided to eradicate the human race. The streets of California are dangerous; divided by gangs and angels roaming the streets. When the angels capture Penryn’s sister, she decides to team up with Raffe, an angel without wings. Along with Raffe, Penryn travels to the angel’s lair, so Penryn can save her sister once and for all. Can she trust Raffe, when all he wants is his wings back? Penryn will risk anything to save her sister, including her own life- and her heart.

I am SO glad I read this book when I did. I actually had the paperback in my bookshelf ever since 2011, but I never picked it up for some strange reason. It wasn’t until a few months ago, when Alise from Readers in Wonderland told me that I absolutely HAD to read it that I picked it up.

This story starts off really strong. Penryn is a great heroine! I’ve got to say that she probably tops the list of Kickass Heroines! Her mother made her take every single self-defense class you can imagine, so she’s very capable to take care of herself. Which is great, because when we first get a glimpse of how kick-ass she is, she’s defending an angel from being attacked. Imagine that: a seventeen year-old girl, defending a big, bad, strong angel. And not any angel either, the very dark, very mysterious, very sarcastic and cocky, Raffe.

Raffe is not your common angel. He’s drop-dead gorgeous (even without his wings) with deep blue eyes and a perfectly sculpted body, all taut and muscled. He's also incredibly witty and sarcastic, and very stubborn at times. His interactions with Penryn were a great comic relief, because Raffe definitely knew how to make her smile.
“Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. “You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”

He chuckles. “Evolution.” He leans over as if telling me a secret. “I’ll have you know that I’ve been this perfect since the beginning of time.” He is so close that his breath caresses my ear.
“Oh, please. Your giant head is getting too big for this forest. Pretty soon, you’re going to get stuck trying to walk between two trees. And then, I’ll have to rescue you.” I give him a weary look. “Again.”

-Angelfall by Susan Ee

Another great aspect in this book is the romance. The romance here isn’t predominant, and doesn’t take focus from the actual story, but it’s still really good. It felt like a natural progression in the book; something that couldn’t be helped. And I completely ate it up, because Raffe and Penryn are absolutely perfect for each other! They both complimented each other SO well; they were what they needed for each other.

There are a few religious undertones, but they are just the right amount, just enough to make the book legitimately about angels. I enjoyed it very much.

The best aspect of this book has to be the constant plot-twists. The last chapters leave you completely breathless! This whole book is a build-up to something amazing, with constant fight scenes, new developments, and lots and lots of mind-blowing moments!

Also, the world building is spot on and Susan Ee’s writing is totally captivating. You will not be able to put this book down once you start it!

Rating: 5 stars
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

Overall, an amazing book with kick-ass characters, great plot twists, and a heart-wrenching ending that will leave you breathless and wanting more! I recommend this for fans of Supernatural, you will LOVE it! ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,087,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible