Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 290 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Recently added bybookcharms, ksommerlot, aharey, izohgore, private library, ea4x, Zurpel, Tazie, ladylenneth
    The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

Stupendous, thrilling, intense, and even suspenseful at times, I was anxious and terrified at what would happen next. This book was all these things and more. The authors storytelling was perfect, it flowed with ease and depth. I love Penryn, she's a true heroine, she's a bad-ass who kicks, you got it "ass". And Raffe, he is so chill that you sometimes forget he's a freaking angel that can rip you apart with his hands. This book was the bees knees, a magnificent, paranormal, suspenseful, post-apocalyptic, thrill ride. I'm giving myself a pat on the shoulder for not waiting too long to read this book and i'm now on a high and not sure which book would dare to follow it. Book 2 would have been great but no such luck. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
Interesting storyline and a good plot. Decent character development. Raff and Penryn make an interesting pair. Leaderless Angels and revenge seeking humans. This story draws you in and holds you there. Given the way book 1 ended, I wonder what is in store for us in book 2. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
I'm confused...
Once again I'm the loner that felt meh about a popular book.

It just didn't work for me. I love stories that are rich in dialogue and this one had barely any. Not to mention the plot was a mess of craziness. It had so many creatures that I just became distant and overwhelmed. Monsters, scorpion half breeds, angels, low demons, humans, resistance, and the list goes on and on. I really wanted to fall into this book, but I remained sitting on the couch looking in with a lack of interest. Raffe was enough to keep me reading and there was some great intensity, but overall I just didn't like it.

I've read so many dystopian reads and this one didn't compare to any of them. So much talent out there that gets lost in the hype of others.

If you want a good dystopian... check out Mystic City by Theo Lawrence. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
Let me preface this by pointing out that I generally avoid the YA genre. Every now and then I will dip my toe in for the more popular ones (Hunger Games I LOVED, Twilight not so much), and that's where I was with this one. This one has lots of positive reviews, but the YA label made me keep putting off reading it. When I was approved through Netgalley (it's being released in the UK) I saw it as a sign that the universe wanted me to finally read it.

No regrets.

While there are a few tropes that define the reason I stay away from the genre (a girly dance party scene complete with glitter, the guy that is older than the universe but acts like a twenty year old, and loads of self-absorption), for the most part I was able to relate to Penryn in a way that tends to always pass me by with YA novels. Maybe I'm just too old for them, but when there are life-and-death issues going on all around, I expect the characters to act in an appropriate self-preservationist fashion. Penryn was attempting to survive a crazy situation she wasn't prepared for, and made it relatively believable. Minus the angels.

There's been a lot said about this book, so I'll end it there. But I'm glad I can also jump right into the second book since they have all been released by now. I wouldn't say that this one ends on a cliffhanger, but it's definitely open-ended.

Copy courtesy of Amazon Children's Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I bought Angelfall forever ago and only now came round to reading it. I was quickly taken by surprise not only because it was better than I expected, but the quality of Ee's storytelling. Penryn's story is engrossing, eerie, creepy, a half dozen other adjectives that don't even come close to describing it's greatness. Only be prepared to be thoroughly sucked in and desperate for the sequel and you'll have a good idea what I mean. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |

Susan Eeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Acimovic, MilicaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Židžiūnienė, Juditasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, CaitlinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MAILLARD, AlexandraTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soester, Selmasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, KathrinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,817,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible