Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)…

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days) (edition 2012)

by Susan Ee

Member:tripsis
Title:Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1) (Penryn and the End of Days)
Authors:Susan Ee
Info:
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Angelfall by Susan Ee

The Changeover by Margaret Mahy (Anonymous user)
    The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones (Anonymous user)
    Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both feature a plucky teenage heroine and an atypical love interest. Neither involves sappy eyeroll-inducing romantic dialogue. As I read Angelfall, I was immediately reminded of Sunshine, however Angelfall is a much better book. If you liked Sunshine, you might like Angelfall. I personally hated Sunshine, but enjoyed Angelfall.… (more)

English (106)  Piratical (1)  All languages (107)

*Book source ~ Kindle Lending Library

Seventeen-yr-old Penryn Young becomes the head of her small family when her dad abandons them. Her mother is a paranoid schizophrenic and her seven-yr-old sister Paige is in a wheelchair. When the angels come to Earth causing mass destruction the world as Pen knows it ends. Gangs run the streets during the day and angels fly in patrols looking for stragglers. After six weeks of scavenging nearby buildings for food and supplies Pen decides to move her family from their apartment building to the hills for safety. She knows the chances of making it are slim, but she has to try. That one decision sets in motion events she could have never foreseen and certainly never wanted.

This a decent YA post-apocalyptic tale especially if you like angels. Though the angels are total asshats. Doge says Wow. Pen is a pretty good character, her mom is a nut bunny and I didn’t get a chance to see much of her sister since she was snatched at the beginning. Then there’s the angel Raffe. Hmmmm…he’s a hottie, but an ass. Not a complete ass, but then he’s hurt and Pen saves his life. Sorta. Anyway, they form an uneasy alliance and from there it’s a journey to find Pen’s sister and for Raffe to get his wings reattached. They meet some interesting people along the way and something else that is pretty damn creepy.

Told from only Pen’s POV, the writing is pretty good and I enjoyed the story, but I wasn’t bowled over by it. It’s interesting enough that I would continue the series especially since it ended unfinished. I’m not saying it’s a huge cliffhanger or anything, but Pen’s and Raffe’s story (and the humans, for that matter) is far from over. I’m curious about what happens next. A battle has been won, but winning the war is a long way off. All-in-all an enjoyable ride through an angel apocalypse. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Aug 22, 2014 |
I got this book over a year ago during a post Christmas sale at Amazon and never got round to reading it. And recently seen a lot of reviews/liked reviews on my goodreads time line which looked to be people reading/rereading in preparation for the release of the sequel.

So I figured why not finally get round to reading it myself? I started off enjoying it, a very disturbing post apocalyptic world and a great lead character. I liked it, but I didn't really see the fuss and plodded along with it, it was okay. suspense was building, admittedly I was waiting for what I thought to be the inevitable romance kick in with Penryn and Raffe. It didn't happen, at least not in the way I thought.

Tension between the two main characters was great, and some bits were pretty damn creepy. Though I was finding it a little slow going. Then after around the 70% mark the plot picked up and became fantastic. Penryn's discoveries were downright fucking horrible, emotional and the plot gripping right to the end.

So what I thought to fe an okay middle of the road dystopia turned out to be pretty damn awesome.
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
**No spoilers.

November 2013: ★★★★★

Just as fantastic the second time around. See below for my original review. So ecstatic the wait is nearly over. This was a long-ass wait. -_-

Buddy re-read with:

Sarah
Ang
Cory

February 2012: ★★★★★

**No spoilers.

WOW. Just wow.. What a fantastic read. I have half a mind to reread it immediately. This is a definite departure from the typical angel book mold as well as from the typical YA book. This book isn’t about fluffy angels and silly high school girls. It’s gritty and holds no punches. It made me laugh as often as it made me cringe. At one point, I had to put it down with a litany of WTF’s?! It threw me for a loop more often than not and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

I love Penryn. She’s not perfect by any means, but she reminds me of my 17yr old little sister. Ya see, my sister is about 5’3 and lean. She’s also a bit mousy and shy. If you didn’t know her like I do, you’d think she was “easy pickins”, but I dare anyone to attempt even slight play-fighting – she’s a beast. So much as a tickle attack puts my skinny little sister into a survival mode that will leave you bruised and shredded. She’s not all-powerful. She's not fearless. Hell, she doesn’t even use her common sense a lot of the time, but she has heart and by God, she’s not going down without a fight. She's also not one to bow down or cower. That’s how I see Penryn. While I can’t wait to see Penryn grow, I thought her character was well written and a far cry from the stupid little girls I often see in YA novels. She’s calculated and savvy. She knows when to shut down or mute her emotions and keep her priorities straight. In dystopia, that’s paramount.

I found Raffe to be hilarious and endearing, though I had a hard time seeing him as more than just a regular guy. I will say that I want more of him. He was so closed off and while I know that’s part of the story, I’m impatient. I just want more and I’m excited to see where his story is going, as it ended so tensely.

I applaud Ee for giving us something so fresh and raw. You can expect to run the gamut of emotions with this one. Now for the long wait until the next book… =/

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
5 STARS
This book is so, so good. Amazing characters, amazing storyline. You have to read this, even if you don't particularly like angel stories. You won't be disappointed. ( )
  lp_xo | Aug 5, 2014 |
Ironically, since the attacks, the sunsets have been glorious.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again." -- P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Susan Ee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

124 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible