The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1) by…

The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1) (edition 2011)

by Keith Melton

Member:RobynBachar
Title:The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1)
Authors:Keith Melton
Info:Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (2011), Kindle Edition, 228 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:urban-fantasy

The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1) by Keith Melton

I can't tell you how many times I giggled or snorted with laughter reading this book. A lot. It's very geeky, crazy and fun.

Everything is exaggerated, blown out of proportions and brimming with snark. The Zero Dog War is a parody on urban fantasy books and superhero comics, and a very well done one at that.

Take for example our supervillain necromancer who had to advertize for a minion because all his workforce consisted of zombies. His plan of world domination is to make gelatin with the help of zombies, which would reduce his expenses to a minimum and potentially destroy gelatin market in US. Mwahaha! Don't say it wasn't funny!

Andrea's team is a riot. A sex and health food obsessed werewolf, a healer who fancies himself ninja, a tech guy who writes novels and games all the time, a conjurer who likes to play with hell bunnies from other dimensions... and so on.

Andrea herself is a tough gal who loves her team and tries to protect them no matter what, so when a commando guy is encroaching on her territory and her government contract makes him a team adviser, tempers fly and both have to learn to respect each other and work as partners.

It's violent, full of action, explosions, gadgetry and silly humour. If you liked Austin Powers and Kick Ass you will love this book. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars

The description of the book already gives a lot away, so I won’t contribute with that. But I can tell you that after reading it you'd know what to expect from it and I guarantee you, you will find everything you were expecting and more.

This book had me cracking up page after page. And if I get wrinkles in my flawless face for laughing I’ll blame Mr. Melton. (He will receive the bill for my botox treatment.)

I love the characters, they are all different and unique in their sordid kind of way but together they make this perfect dysfunctional mercenary “family”. They are always pushing each other’s buttons but when the need arise they always look for each other.

Mr. Melton creativity has no limits and this book is a proof of that. There were some parts in which my normal human brain (not small by the way) was in completely awe with his imagination.

The only negative thing I can say about this book is that I won’t be able to enjoy Jell-o or oatmeal for at least couple of weeks… or months. (Thank you Ms. Melton.)

My final thought: This book is an EBOAFACS (Exploding Bomb of Awesome Fun And Crazy Stuff). As Capitan Andrea Walker said, the use of acronyms is as addicting as popping bubble wrap.

Can’t wait to read the next installment. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I am so jealous of Keith Melton right now, you have no idea.

This book is made of so much awesome, there are hardly words. BRILLIANT. All caps serious.

There are so many fabulous lines. The humor is fast and furious, and I'm completely envious. I laughed, I grinned, I harassed my husband by reading him lines I loved. The action is great. The heroine is amazing. Her team of paranormal mercs is amazing. It's like all of my urban fantasy favorites thrown in a blender and turned into an addictive alcoholic beverage.

It's fabulous. I loved it. You need to read it. ( )
  RobynBachar | Feb 27, 2014 |
I had heard good things about Keith Melton, so when Allromance offered a 50% discount on Samhain books, I bought it. The story starts with a bang, and everything wents down hill from there. The plot twisted and turned. I liked how they only had partial success, never a total victory, when they faced the villain. I enjoyed the misfits of The Zero Dog Mercenaries. From Rafe, the werewolf, to Mai with her undead pets. I enjoyed how the author played with the prejudices, and turned them into something new.

This story has a large dose of humor with the action, and I loved the snark, and the way Andrea couldn’t stop mouthing off with Jake. However, at times it felt like the author focused to much on the humor.

This especially shows when it comes to the villain, which is a heap of clichés. In fact, it felt like the author had piled on every cliché he could think off. So, will I buy another book by Keith Melton? Probably. It was a fun, fast paced read and I enjoyed it.
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
This book did make me laugh, but explosions and giggles only got me so far. The meat of the character development and tension was missing (although I did love glimpses of the "super" villian, Jeremiah). The romance between Andrea and Jake was pretty superficial (and there wasn't any gratuitous sex to distract me from that fact).

Funny, fast, and not to be re-read, I imagine. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,500,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible