The Dead Hour: A Novel by Denise Mina

The Dead Hour: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Denise Mina

Member:bfister
Title:The Dead Hour: A Novel
Authors:Denise Mina
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2006), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Scotland, Glasgow, journalism, Paddy Meehan, Catholicism, 1980s

The Dead Hour by Denise Mina (2006)

Recently added byflu1918, LB121100, judithjackson2014, Scratch, mkboylan, Walkr, rock.chick, brainx, private library

English (15)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (18)
It's been a stressful week, so what better than another Denise Mina to distract me? This one, another featuring Paddy Meehan, who now has moved up from "copy boy" to the night reporter who goes to police calls, takes a look at police corruption (a topic Mina has examined before) and the drug trade as Paddy tries to figure out why a woman who was brutally beaten didn't take a chance she had to escape. Paddy's search is interwoven with the tale of a beautiful but desperate cocaine addict; it isn't clear to the reader how they are connected at first. Some of the most interesting parts of this book are about Paddy's own development; having a real job seems to have given her self-assurance she didn't have in the first novel in the trilogy and she seems to have negotiated her relationship with her family and her ex-fiancé pretty well. Of course, she still has to deal with the rampant sexism of the newsroom and the police, but she stands up to it. Atypically for Mina, there is some graphic sex in this book, as well as some grisly descriptions of the impact of overuse of cocaine; these marred the book slightly for me. I also don't like Paddy as much as Mina's other protagonists. However, as there is a real cliffhanger at the end of this novel, I'll definitely be reading the final book in the trilogy to find out where Paddy ends up.
  rebeccanyc | Jan 20, 2014 |
This poor book has been on my "currently-reading" shelf since June, when I read the first few pages. I started reading it again just recently, but had to put it aside as too depressing in January, while I was also reading [b:The Working Poor: Invisible in America|11095|The Working Poor Invisible in America|David K. Shipler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166403431s/11095.jpg|430062]. The protagonist of [b:The Dead Hour|94176|The Dead Hour A Novel|Denise Mina|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171278302s/94176.jpg|404664] is the only one working in her family of Irish-background Glaswegians. It's set during the Thatcher era. I've heard good things about Denise Mina's work, so I will go back to this book in a sunnier time!
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
It's been three years since Patricia "Paddy" Meehan’s big scoop and she became a full-fledged reporter. Since then, however, she has been stuck on the night shift, which turns into a potential blessing when the paper changes direction, redundancies are announced, and Paddy comes across a domestic-cum-murder, complete with intrigue, bribery, and drugs, which could save her from being made redundant, but which could also cost her life.

As in Field of Blood, Mina's descriptions of 80's Glasgow with all its financial and personal problems are painfully true to life and people's dejection is obvious. I still can't find myself warming to Paddy, though. Although the plot is interesting and the twists and turns make The Dead Hour quite thrilling, Paddy's voice eludes me for some reason and she seems to just follow the plot wherever it goes rather than being active. My problem with her might just be that she's not funny and it's somewhat of a requirement for me in a book with such a gruesome and graphic plot.

I have Slip of the Knife to read as well and, considering the cliff-hanger upon which The Dead Hour ends, I'm hoping to gain more sympathy for Paddy. I do enjoy Mina's writing tremendously, especially her capturing of a time and place and the relationships between her characters are quite raw and genuine, but Ms. Meehan might not be a good fit for me. ( )
  -Eva- | Aug 31, 2011 |
The second of the Paddy Meehan books, and just as satisfying as the other ones. Mina has created a wonderful character and tells a good story - that's enough for me ( )
  mojacobs | Feb 15, 2011 |
The second book featuring Paddy Meehan, a young investigative journalist in 1980s Glasgow. This looks like being a series where the ongoing relationships outside the main story are worth coming back for; I'm interested to find out what happens to Paddy's family, especially her mother and her ex-fiancee Sean, over the years. Probably more interested than I am in the individual mystery actually.
  nocto | Dec 8, 2010 |

Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Świerkocki, MaciejTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unnerstad, BoelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Owen,
who knows how to make an entrance
Paddy Meehan was comfortable in the back of the car.

The most praised thriller writer to burst onto the scene in years returns with a brilliant new story of suicide, murder, violence, and greed.Responding to a late night-call, Paddy Meehan arrives at an elegant villa, where a calm blonde with blood running from her mouth answers the door. She has already convinced the police to leave and soon Paddy realizes how-she slips 50 bucks into Paddy's hands and begs her to keep the incident, whatever it is, out of the press.The next morning Paddy sees the lead news story: The blonde woman has been murdered, and far from the spoiled trophy wife Paddy assumed her to be, the victim turns out to be a prosecution lawyer with a social conscience.Bewildered why the woman didn't take the chance to leave the house when she could, Paddy begins to make connections no one else has seen. When she witnesses the body of a suicide victim being pulled from the river shortly afterward, Paddy suspects links between the two deaths and follows her idea to its shocking-and deadly-conclusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:04 -0400)

The domestic dispute in a wealthy suburb seems like nothing unusual. The elegant blonde bleeding in the shadows doesn't want help; and the well-dressed, ingratiating man at the front door tells investigative journalist Paddy Meehan everything's fine. Then he asks her to make sure nothing appears in the paper, slipping cash into her hand. The next morning Paddy sees on TV: the blond woman had been tortured, beaten, and left to die. The untraceable man was neither her boyfriend nor her husband. Soon Paddy begins to make connections, and after a suicide is pulled from the river, she finds links between the two deaths. It's the story she's dreamed of, but she'll lose all credibility if word gets out about the bribe, and her boss at the newspaper is impatient with her hunches. Only Paddy cares enough to pursue a brutal truth that could make her career--or kill her.--From publisher description.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible