The Nightmare Garden by Caitlin Kittredge

The Nightmare Garden

by Caitlin Kittredge

When this series began, Aoife was a well-behaved engineering student. Her mother was mad, her brother was also mad and possibly a traitor, and necrovirus monsters surrounded Lovecraft City, and but Aoife just wanted to keep her head down and her mind clear long enough to graduate and work with engines. But then her brother sent a mysterious message, calling Aoife out of safety and on the run. Since then, she discovered that the necrovirus is really magic and that she herself has fairy blood, and shortly thereafter destroyed the barriers keeping the fey and human worlds separate. Now Aoife is in more danger than ever.

Aoife's universe is a fascinating mixture of steampunk, malevolent fairies, and magical forces so much more powerful than us that they would rip our brains apart if we so much as thought of them. It's fab! Aoife herself is wonderfully complex. That said, I did enjoy this, but less so than the first book. The plot is so convoluted, and Aoife's goals change so often, that by the end I was pretty tired of it. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Caitlin has done it once again. She wrote an outstanding book. I love Caitlin’s writing style it is FANTASTIC. I love Aoife I love the way her character is so realistic. I liked the way she sorta makes the same mistake in this book has she did in The Iron Thorn. Her character did not grow as much as some of the other characters but that is part of why I like her so much. And in this book she is determined to fix the mess she created when she broke the Lovecraft Machine by finding The Nightmare Clock and turning back time but there are a few people who will do anything to stop that from happening. Aoife and her group of friends set out on a journey to right the wrongs that she has created by letting the fae and monsters into the human world when she destroyed the Lovecraft Machine. Things are not going to be easy though so you are in for an epic adventure as Aoife tries to right her wrong doing by listening to Tremaine who does not seem to be finished with her yet. I will let you all know this does leave on a cliffhanger making you wished you had book 3 in The Iron Codex Trilogy : The Mirrored Shard scheduled for release in late 2012 to early 2013 now.

I love the way Caitlin transports me into another time and place with her writing. Her world building is well out of this world awesome. ( )
  amdase | Nov 4, 2014 |

amdase | Nov 4, 2014 |
I received this book to review from Netgalley. I have not read the first installment, but as it happened, it wasn't really necessary. "The Nightmare Garden" was written in such a way, that a new reader, who has no idea what she's got in her hands - what world she's entering - would have no problem to follow the story. I sure did, you would too if you like a mix of steampunk, paranormal, dystopian kind of thing that has a tinny tiny flavor of romance underneath all the drama.

Well, unfortunately, for the time from 33% to 80% the story got so boring, I was a second away from putting it down and just dismissing it. I was totally ready to do it, but decided against it out of respect for the author who put so much time and effort into writing this story. Instead, what I did was skip around and read just the dialogues and some of the descriptions. It's unbelievable how good it felt to read it this way. No tedious explanations that repeated themselves, no descriptions that went beyond the necessary... And then at 80% the action, tension and drama picked up, and with them so did my interest. It's why I gave it the 3 star rating.

I was annoyed by the repetitive explaining of the main character, Aoife, how terrible she felt for leaving her mother in Lovecraft. That happened at least once every couple of pages, and after the first several times, I got tired of it. Then Aoife was saying how much regret she felt for ever trusting the Fae Tremaine, but she did it again and oh, how terrible she felt!!!

Also, there was so much telling, that the showing kind of got lost somewhere in between the lines. So, me skipping around was kind of helpful. And with reading so little of the overbearing descriptions, I was still well aware of what and where was going on. So why make a novel so unbearably heavy with needless narrative?

I don't think I liked Aoife. She felt superficial and lost in herself for the better part of the book. She didn't really care what anyone else around her felt like or thought. The only important thing to her was... well... herself. Her feelings, her inner turmoils... It was too much.

And Dean, her Erlkin boyfriend, never got angry at her even though she had to be yelled at at least half the time. It was unnatural, like he was a toy and he had to be played.

Conrad, her brother was more with his wits than Aoife wanted to portray. He saw things in their real image, he saw what was right and did it. I can say that I liked that guy.

I don't think I will recommend this book to my friends, seeing that it was too long for its own good. One must really be into extensive descriptions to like The Nightmare Garden. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Much more fast paced than book 1. Recommended for readers wanting great world building, adventure, and some romance. Twist on steampunk and dark fantasy. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 28, 2013 |

Everything Aoife thought she knew about the world was a lie. There is no Necrovirus. And Aoife isn't going to succomb to madness because of a latent strain—she will lose her faculties because she is allergic to iron. Aoife isn't human. She is a changeling—half human and half from the land of Thorn. And time is running out for her.

When Aoife destroyed the Lovecraft engine she released the monsters from the Thorn Lands into the Iron Lands and now she must find a way to seal the gates and reverse the destruction she's ravaged on the world that's about to poison her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:14 -0400)

"Aoife Grayson continues to discover hidden secrets about herself as she journeys to find the Nightmare Clock, fix the gates she's broken, and save her missing mother"--

39 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible