Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Balthazar: An Evernight Novel by Claudia…

Balthazar: An Evernight Novel (edition 2012)

by Claudia Gray

Member:jennrenae
Title:Balthazar: An Evernight Novel
Authors:Claudia Gray
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:paranormal, romance, evernight

Balthazar by Claudia Gray

I read this yesterday when I realized that Justin Cronin's The Twelve, which I'd ordered in hardback instead of e-reader format (I prefer reading hard copies of that sort of book), wouldn't be delivered until the evening.

This is a stand-alone novel following a YA series I will most likely never read, and I actually really enjoyed not knowing what had happened before--it made the novel feel like it existed in a richer world, a world without a lot of unnecessary expository bullshit.

I may not read any sequels to it, but this book was fun and well-written. ( )
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |
Brought to you by TeamNerd Reviewer Bridget Strahin

For hundreds of years, the vampire Balthazar has been alone—without allies, without love.

When Balthazar agrees to help Skye Tierney, a human girl who once attended Evernight Academy, he has no idea how dangerous it will be. Skye's newfound psychic powers have caught the attention of Redgrave, the cruel, seductive master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries ago. Now Redgrave plans to use Skye's powers for his own evil purposes.

Balthazar will do whatever it takes to stop Redgrave and exact his long-awaited revenge against his killer. As Skye and Balthazar stand together to fight him, they grow closer—first unwillingly, then undeniably. Balthazar realizes his lonely world could finally be changed by her.

In a story filled with forbidden love and dark suspense, one of the most beloved characters in Claudia Gray's New York Times bestselling Evernight Series will captivate readers with his battle to overcome his past and follow his heart.

Skye Tierney is now home from Evernight Academy with some sort of psychic ability that allows her to see someone's death if she walks by where they died. There is no beating around the bush in this book. Right from the start, Skye is in trouble and the oh-so handsome Balthazar comes to her rescue.

No one can give Skye an explanation for her new ability except for the very bad, Redgrave, who wants to use Skye's blood for his own gain and will do anything to make Skye his. Balthazar, who has a 400 year old grudge with Redgrave, promises to keep Skye safe while also trying to finally put an end to Redgrave's reign of terror.

Skye is very well written and developed. She's strong willed and brave. She is grieving for a dead brother but still manages to keep it together and never backs away from a new threat. Those who have read the previous EA books and who are familiar with the intriguing Balthazar, will be pleasantly pleased with him in this installment. I really loved the growing relationship between Sky and Balthazar. It wasn't the instant love that most books have. Their love grows painfully slow and reluctantly but I loved reading every bit of it.

Claudia Gray delivers again with this addictive tale about a boy who doesn't think he can love a human without a tragic ending and a girl who just can't take no for an answer when love is at stake. The details were imaginative and thorough and I had no issues diving into the book after the long wait from the fourth Evernight book.

I recommend this book not only to Evernight fans, but also to non-fans. It's a great read and you won't be sorry you bought it. ( )
  TeamNerdReviews | Jul 2, 2012 |
Balthazar was my favorite character from the Evernight series, so I was really excited to read a story from his point of view. If you’ve read Evernight, you know that Balthazar is charming, sweet, and gentle. We never really found out much about his past because he doesn’t like to discuss it, and because Evernight was really about Lucas and Bianca.

Claudia Gray brings the same magic to Balthazar as she did the rest of the Evernight series. What I loved most about the novel is that it brought me closer to my favorite character and explained more about Balthazar’s history, emotions, and train-wreck relationship with his sister, Charity. I also loved the romance—I don’t think you could really have a Claudia Gray novel without romance. Skye and Balthazar were really sweet together and their relationship progressed naturally (no insta-romance here!). Had it been any other way, it would have felt forced and unrealistic.

Overall, Balthazar is a wonderful story for fans of both Claudia Gray and the Evernight series. The romance was extremely well-paced and the deeper delve into Balthazar provided answers to questions I’ve been wondering about since I read the Evernight series. Even though this is slated to be a stand- alone novel, I have to wonder if another story may be in the works. The story was open-ended enough that I still have plenty of questions about what will happen to Balthazar and Skye. Hopefully Claudia Gray will surprise us with a sequel announcement—or another stand-alone featuring Charity ( )
  AboutToRead | May 23, 2012 |
New human girl sees ghosts, needs protection from nasty vampires, falls for Balthazar (the romantic rival from Bianca and Lucas’s story)—another high drama YA romance. I liked that there were non-villains who made bad decisions, including our hero and heroine at times. There’s also a cameo from at least one Glee character travelling incognito; I don’t know the show well enough to identify any others, if present. ( )
  rivkat | May 12, 2012 |
I adored the Evernight series and it was fun to see a spinoff of a popular character, Balthazar. The story was a good addition to the mythology of the series. ( )
  bellastreet | May 3, 2012 |

Vampire Balthazar More emerges from his centuries-long isolation to help Skye Tierney, a psychic girl who once attended Evernight Academy, when she catches the attention of the cruel master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries earlier.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,701,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible