The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney

The Invisible Ones (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Stef Penney

Member:LizzySiddal
Title:The Invisible Ones
Authors:Stef Penney
Info:Quercus (2011), Kindle Edition, 449 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read 2012, fiction, C21, British

The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (2011)

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.

Shucks, what a disappointment. The premise of this novel was intriguing, but it did not live up to my hopes. It was way too long and repetitive. The private detective character, Ray, was dull and the story line of his attempt at a relationship was clumsily written. I found the character of JJ much more interesting and true, but the scenes of his flight to the friend's barn after his anger and injuries just didn't advance the story. Feels like maybe Penney wrote this one a long time ago and dragged it out after the (much-deserved) success of The Tenderness of Wolves. Too bad. ( )
  huntersun9 | Sep 7, 2014 |
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It gave a great look into the "gypsy" traveler community in England. It is not a "normal" murder mystery but has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end. The only wish I had was a more detailed ending, but I guess that this means the book was so good you didn't want it to end! I will look for other books by the author. ( )
  yukon92 | Aug 20, 2014 |
This was a great story, but I especially love that I learned a little about Traveling Gypsy culture, as the author refers to the group in her story. Very interesting! ( )
  MargaretArmour | Dec 28, 2013 |
Joy's review: Well, I liked this book more than the rest of the book group. I enjoy Penney's writing style and I thought the mystery was a good one. Could have used more insights into the Romany culture and fewer pages on the detective's personal angst, but I enjoyed reading "The Invisible Ones". ( )
  konastories | Dec 16, 2013 |
Another stunner from Penney; highly recommended.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Barbara Hoffert (Oct 15, 2011)

The Invisible Ones is interesting on the methods and mistakes of a private investigator. "Tangible, rational, explicable: that's how you have to think … The danger is that you get stuck in one hypothesis." But the conventions of detective fiction are laid upon a lengthy non-genre novel without the pace or plotting to support them, and the tension vital to such a tale is too often absent. Like The Tenderness of Wolves, it focuses on a disappearance, a quest and an outsider community, but the spine-tingle of its predecessor is missing until the end, when a bold twist is very skilfully pulled off.

For M
When I woke up, I remembered nothing - apart from one thing.

Small-time private investigator Ray Lovell veers between paralysis and delirium in a hospital bed. But before the accident that landed him there, he'd been hired to find Rose Janko, the wife of a charismatic son of a traveling Gypsy family, who went missing seven years earlier. Half Romany himself, Ray is well aware that he's been chosen more for his blood than his investigative skills. Still, he's surprised by the intense hostility he encounters from the Jankos, who haven't had an easy past. Touched by tragedy, they're either cursed or hiding a terrible secret-whose discovery Ray can't help suspecting is connected to Rose's disappearance

Hovering between paralysis and delirium in a hospital bed, half-Romany private investigator Ray Lovell evaluates a case involving the missing wife of a charismatic traveling Gypsy whose hostile family is hiding a tragic secret.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Invisibles Ones by Stef Penney was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible