City of Dragons: Volume Three of the Rain…

City of Dragons: Volume Three of the Rain Wilds Chronicles (edition 2012)

by Robin Hobb

Accompanied by human keepers, the dragons embark on a dangerous journey to their ancient, mythical homeland of Kelsingera, and along the way form deep bonds with the humans that are severely tested during the journey's final days.
Member:Theodosia
Title:City of Dragons: Volume Three of the Rain Wilds Chronicles
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:fantasy, read

City of Dragons by Robin Hobb

English (32)  Dutch (2)  All languages (34)
Rain Wild Chronicles #3 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
City of Dragons picks up a little while after the end of Dragon Haven. But where Dragon Haven felt like a big improvement on Dragon Keeper in terms of character development and pace, City of Dragons goes back to the first book's slow plod through a plot that doesn't develop all that much from the start of the novel.

There's also a fair bit of repetition, which doesn't help, and while we have some new character POVs to delve into, they don't really explore as much of those characters as I would've liked.

There are a few exciting moments, but I got the feeling that it was all to make sure everything's in the right place for what I hope will be a thrilling final book in this quartet. ( )
  mooingzelda | Jul 4, 2019 |
Epic. I'm really loving this series. I wish I'd read the books that came before this first. Live and learn. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
City of Dragons is the third out of four books in the Rain Wilds series, which is the fourth out of five subseries in the larger Realms of the Elderlings series.

Although I enjoyed this book, I thought it was the slowest of all the Elderlings books so far. The first half was the slowest and then it started to pick up for me in the second half. There were some interesting discoveries and there were a few moments of excitement, but not as much as in the previous books. A few additional POVs were introduced, although with less page time as compared to the regular POVs. Some of those were quite interesting, but one of them was a little tedious.

I don’t have much more I can say without spoiler tags, so on to the spoilers. Note that there are a handful of spoilers here for previous books from the other subseries also. I didn’t think I had much to say about this book, but I went off on my usual tangents once I got started…

One of the two slowest parts for me was the early exploration of Kelsingra, particularly from Alise’s POV. There just wasn’t a lot going on there, and there wasn’t much new described that hadn’t been described previously and more engagingly in previous books and in the short story Homecoming. I did get excited when Alise found a statue of that girl the Fool had been during his vision with Fitz back in Assassin’s Quest. I was also happy to see the reference to the broken glass and table in the map tower from when Verity and then Fitz were there. The city exploration got more interesting to me after Sintara woke it up, and I look forward to finding out what else they discover in the next book.

The other slowest parts were the chapters from the POV of Hest. At first I was happy to see he was a POV character in this book, because I’d been curious to get inside his head. His head is not a great place to be in, and he’s a very tedious and obnoxious character. This shouldn’t have been surprising, I guess! Fortunately there weren’t too many pages from his POV, and it’s pretty clear they were necessary to the ongoing story. I very much look forward to the confrontation when he catches up with Alise and Sedric.

I also wasn’t thrilled with the whole thing between Thymara and Rapskal. I liked Rapskal well enough in the previous books, but not as a romantic interest for Thymara. I didn’t like the way he manipulated her by tricking her into sharing the memories in the stones, and his personality really started to grate on me in this book. I’m getting a little tired of the Thymara/Rapskal/Tats angst, really. Of the two guys I like Tats better, but I’d be just as happy if not happier to see Thymara successfully assert her independence and not choose either of them. The more they pressure her, the more annoyed with them I get.

I did enjoy the section with both Malta’s and Selden’s POVs, and I was also generally happy to learn what was going on back in the cities. Selden didn’t get much page time at all, but I’m looking forward to finding out what happens to him in the next book. The sections where Malta went into labor and was kidnapped by the Chalcedeans were probably the most exciting parts of the book to me. I’m also looking forward to seeing her and Reyn get to Kelsingra where they’ll discover just how much the dragons have grown. And it looks like Tintaglia will be headed that way also. It will be fun to see her reaction to the dragons too.

One thing I’ve been wondering is how the dragons’ growth reflects on the Fool’s efforts in the Tawny Man series. He risked everything and went through so much misery in his quest to ensure Icefyre was released from the ice so he could mate with Tintaglia and bring dragons back into the world. From what I remember, the visions of both the Fool and the Pale Woman implied that Icefyre’s survival was critical to the return of the dragons. And yet it seems like the dragons that hatched in the Rain Wilds are well on their way toward becoming flying, mating-capable dragons. Unless we find out they’re sterile or something. I guess it’s also possible that, if Icefyre had not survived, Tintaglia would have stayed with the dragons. If she had, they might not have been motivated to try to get to Kelsingra, especially since Tintaglia had gone there before and found the city to be dead and probably would have discouraged the idea. The exercise from that journey, the dragon warming spots they found on the way, and the warm baths in Kelsingra all seem to be chiefly instrumental in strengthening them. Still, I'm hoping there will be a more satisfying explanation.
1 vote YouKneeK | Dec 20, 2018 |
I rather doubt that this series is ever going to get a much higher rating from me. I liked the idea that we are let in on the consequences of the previous trilogies: of a world where dragons have been revived. And yet somehow, sadly, the execution is less than compelling. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morris, JackieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Little Red Hen
She rode the air currents easily, her legs sleeked tight against her body, her wings spread wide.

Once, dragons ruled the Rain Wilds, tended by privileged human servants known as Elderlings. But a series of cataclysmic eruptions nearly drove these magnificent creatures to extinction. Born weak and deformed, the last of their kind had one hope for survival: to return to their ancient city of Kelsingra. Accompanied by a disparate crew of untested young keepers, the dragons embarked on a harsh journey into the unknown along the toxic Rain Wild River. Battling starvation, a hostile climate, and treacherous enemies, dragons and humans began to forge magical connections, bonds that have wrought astonishing transformations for them all. And though Kelsingra is finally near, their odyssey has only begun.

Because of the swollen waters of the Rain Wild River, the lost city can be reached only by flight—a test of endurance and skill beyond the stunted dragons’ strength. Venturing across the swift-running river in tiny boats, the dragon scholar Alise and a handful of keepers discover a world far different from anything they have ever known or imagined. Immense, ornate structures of black stone veined with silver and lifelike stone statues line the silent, eerily empty streets. Yet what are the whispers they hear, the shadows of voices and bursts of light that flutter and are gone? And why do they feel as if eyes are watching them?

The dragons must plumb the depths of their ancestral memories to help them take flight and unlock the secrets buried in Kelsingra. But enemies driven by greed and dark desires are approaching. Time is running out, not only for the dragons but for their human keepers as well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,384,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible