City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles, 3)…

City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles, 3) (edition 2012)

by Robin Hobb

407None26,496 (3.91)40
Member:Kassilem
Title:City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles, 3)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:High Fantasy

City of Dragons by Robin Hobb

English (15)  Dutch (2)  All languages (17)
My Thoughts. Now that the traveling part of the dragon's journey is done, more time can be devoted to what is going on in other parts of this world. There are more scenes in Chalced, a distant country with a dying Duke who believes dragon parts can restore his health. There are scenes in the Rain Wilds surrounding the Elderlings Malta and Reyn. There are even goings on in Bingtown, concerning Hest, Alise's cruel husband and her friend Sedric's former employer. There is also a new and varied landscape at the site of the dragon city which begs to be explored.

What I Liked. With the addition of more variety this book picks up quite a bit of speed. I didn't really think it was possible but this is now my favorite of the three books so far. (One more to go yet.)

It is no longer just a story about the crippled dragons and their keepers. Oh they still play a major role but the story of Trader Hest, the Duke of Chalced and the elderlings Malta and Reyn, all who previously were relegated to the background, are now of equal importance. There are even strong indications that Selden (the third Elderling) and Tintaglia (who at one time was the "last" dragon) will be taking a starring role in the conclusion. I'll be honest, there are so many cool things going on now that I can't wait to see how it all ends. Besides that, the more heads I get the chance to rummage around in, the happier I am. Even when they are full of sewage, like Hest's and the Duke's.

What I didn't like. Ummmm, I'm thinking... gimme a minute...

There isn't much not to like. It does confuse me that the dragons, being the prideful, arrogant, stubborn creatures that they are, are not all trying harder to become more independant. Seems to me that creatures with those innate qualities would do anything not to be dependant on mere humans. Granted I understand that both pride and a fear of failure are getting in the way. However, I'd think that their overrated sense of superiority would override any fear of failure. They are mighty dragons! They can't fail! However a bunch of them never even try, even after seeing their compatriots succeed. Just leaves me scratching my head.

Conclusion. This is not one of my longer reviews but I literally can't wait to see how everything ties up. I am even worried that some of the storylines, specifically the newest ones, will be left dangling. I hope not but I suppose it is possible. Would not be the first time a sidestory was a lead in to a new series. Now if you'll please excuse my brevity, there are a few hours left before dawn and I have reading to do...

Originally posted @ Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
  Mulluane | Apr 11, 2014 |
Good, but ultimately disatisfactory. I was hoping for an ending, or at the very least, anything conclusive. Now I am left hanging until the next book! Why could this not be a trilogy like all your other books, Hobb? ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
BRILLIANT book. I hadn't read a book from this series in well over a year but as soon as I picked it up I got lost in the story again and felt like I was with all my old friends. ( )
  phenske | Aug 13, 2013 |
This is definitely (in my humble opinion of course) the best of the Rain Wild Chronicles series so far. It's still not quite at the Farseer/Liveship/Tawny Man level, but it's at least a solid four stars for me.

I'll say this though.. It's definitely only half of a story. Actually, it's more like half of the second half of a story. Each book so far in the RWC series has been significantly shorter than normal Hobb novels, really the series probably could have been a two book duology and done better that way. The first two started and completed a story arc, and it seems like these two will as well. This one ends sort of abruptly, and I almost wish I hard waited for the last in the series to come out before I read it. It's not necessarily a cliff hanger.. But neither are any story lines wrapped up. But still... It was a Hobb fix. And we all know I loves me some Hobb.

There's really not much else to say. If you're looking for reviews of this book, chances are you've read the first two, so you know what to expect. And if you haven't read the first two, then you're looking up the wrong review, you need to check out Dragon Keeper. And for that matter.. Even though this series does sort of stand alone, it definitely should be read after the Liveship series for maximum impact. But not before Tawny Man... And Liveship has to come after Farseer. Really though. Reading all of the books in order is well worth it. The Farseer Trilogy, then the Livership Trader books, then the Tawny Man series, and finally the Rain Wild Chronicles. Honestly... That's the only way to go. You're missing out if you skip straight here and read this as an independent series! Just saying.

Anyway, back to the review.. Four stars. This was an enjoyable continuation of the series, and I'm looking forward to the release of the last book. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
This is the third book of Robin Hobb's Rain Wild Chronicles series and unfortunately also my least favorite installment so far. That's not to say I didn't like it, but I'm also sensing a definite slowdown compared to the first couple of novels.

The book picks up from where we last left our group of dragons, their keepers and their crew. After overcoming the treacherous dangers of the Rain Wild River, the expedition has finally found the legendary Elderling city of Kelsingra. And yet, due to the eruptions and bad flooding, the city can only be reached by flying -- a problem, as despite growing bigger and stronger since the start of their journey, many of the dragons' wings are still stunted, deformed and non-functioning. So close and yet so far!

And so, we watch as the characters spend much of their time in the book doing...not much of anything. About a quarter of the book blows by before I felt the story picking up, like something interesting was actually happening. It was definitely a slow start, lots of setting up and reintroductions to characters and past events to get the reader up to speed.

I'm notoriously forgetful of things that happened in previous books in a series (especially if it's been a while) so normally I would appreciate it when the author throws in the casual reminder here or there. But that left the remainder three-quarters of this book to blow me away, and honestly, it just didn't. I still enjoyed it, nonetheless...but the truth is I would have enjoyed it even more if it didn't feel so much like a "transition book", i.e. filler.

There were some high points, of course. I liked that we finally got to see more of Hest and his perspective, despite the fact that he's a scumbag of a human being, but it was a nice change from our constant focus on the river and the dragons. And let's face it, sometimes it's the scumbags' perspectives that are the most interesting to read about! There were also large sections featuring Reyn and Malta who are starting to get more attention in this series, though I think I would have been more excited about that if I'd read some of the previous books in Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings universe in which they also appear.

There continues to be interesting and dynamic developments in the relationships between the characters. Couples are pairing off, people are sleeping around, jealousy abounds, etc. etc. etc. More secrets are uncovered about Elderlings and Kelsingra. The dragons and their keepers are all growing and moving forward as characters go. All that's great, because it means there's still a point to this novel. But still, I can't help but feel that the book lacks a certain direction.

And the ending! I'm not sure what to make of that. Let me go on the record to say that I think Robin Hobb is a great writer and that I love her style, but there really doesn't seem to be much logic when it comes to where and how she ends her books. This one was abrupt, but not not exactly a cliffhanger. It makes me wonder if this book and the fourth and final book in the series were meant to be read as one, but then split into two for whatever reason. That could also explain its relatively short length. In any case, I did not expect the book to end this way, limply dangling in the breeze like that.

Regardless, I have one more book to go in this Rain Wild Chronicles series and I'm looking forward to see how it all ends. ( )
  stefferoo | May 21, 2013 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morris, JackieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan de Kleine Rode Hoen.
Met speels gemak bereed ze de luchtstromingen.

Once, dragons ruled the Rain Wilds, tended by privileged human servants known as Elderlings. But a series of cataclysmic eruptions nearly drove these magnificent creatures to extinction. Born weak and deformed, the last of their kind had one hope for survival: to return to their ancient city of Kelsingra. Accompanied by a disparate crew of untested young keepers, the dragons embarked on a harsh journey into the unknown along the toxic Rain Wild River. Battling starvation, a hostile climate, and treacherous enemies, dragons and humans began to forge magical connections, bonds that have wrought astonishing transformations for them all. And though Kelsingra is finally near, their odyssey has only begun.

Because of the swollen waters of the Rain Wild River, the lost city can be reached only by flight—a test of endurance and skill beyond the stunted dragons’ strength. Venturing across the swift-running river in tiny boats, the dragon scholar Alise and a handful of keepers discover a world far different from anything they have ever known or imagined. Immense, ornate structures of black stone veined with silver and lifelike stone statues line the silent, eerily empty streets. Yet what are the whispers they hear, the shadows of voices and bursts of light that flutter and are gone? And why do they feel as if eyes are watching them?

The dragons must plumb the depths of their ancestral memories to help them take flight and unlock the secrets buried in Kelsingra. But enemies driven by greed and dark desires are approaching. Time is running out, not only for the dragons but for their human keepers as well.

Accompanied by human keepers, the dragons embark on a dangerous journey to their ancient, mythical homeland of Kelsingera, and along the way form deep bonds with the humans that are severely tested during the journey's final days.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible