City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles, 3)…

City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles, 3) (edition 2012)

by Robin Hobb

4811921,406 (3.92)44
Member:Kassilem
Title:City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles, 3)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:High Fantasy

City of Dragons by Robin Hobb

English (17)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
Summary coming soon, but in the meantime please see my full review here on my blog:
http://theidlewoman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/city-of-dragons-robin-hobb.html ( )
  Leander2010 | Apr 27, 2014 |
Although this book moved the plot line along, I feel that it suffered from a slow moving plot and too many narrators. While I can understand wanting to bring Hest back to satisfy a previous storyline, being in his head was pretty offensive. That, however, is not my main quibble.

I feel that Hobb tied together too many older narrators, e.g. Malta, Selden, and Tintaglia, in an attempt to bring the entire Elderlings Realm to a neater ending for the last book. This book does not stand well on its own and feels even more like half of a book than its predecessors did.

I enjoyed it because I'm attached to the characters and I want to know how it ends, but the endless reprisals of what transpired before, the slow pacing, and the seeming attempt to bind everything together brought this book down in my estimation. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
My Thoughts. Now that the traveling part of the dragon's journey is done, more time can be devoted to what is going on in other parts of this world. There are more scenes in Chalced, a distant country with a dying Duke who believes dragon parts can restore his health. There are scenes in the Rain Wilds surrounding the Elderlings Malta and Reyn. There are even goings on in Bingtown, concerning Hest, Alise's cruel husband and her friend Sedric's former employer. There is also a new and varied landscape at the site of the dragon city which begs to be explored.

What I Liked. With the addition of more variety this book picks up quite a bit of speed. I didn't really think it was possible but this is now my favorite of the three books so far. (One more to go yet.)

It is no longer just a story about the crippled dragons and their keepers. Oh they still play a major role but the story of Trader Hest, the Duke of Chalced and the elderlings Malta and Reyn, all who previously were relegated to the background, are now of equal importance. There are even strong indications that Selden (the third Elderling) and Tintaglia (who at one time was the "last" dragon) will be taking a starring role in the conclusion. I'll be honest, there are so many cool things going on now that I can't wait to see how it all ends. Besides that, the more heads I get the chance to rummage around in, the happier I am. Even when they are full of sewage, like Hest's and the Duke's.

What I didn't like. Ummmm, I'm thinking... gimme a minute...

There isn't much not to like. It does confuse me that the dragons, being the prideful, arrogant, stubborn creatures that they are, are not all trying harder to become more independant. Seems to me that creatures with those innate qualities would do anything not to be dependant on mere humans. Granted I understand that both pride and a fear of failure are getting in the way. However, I'd think that their overrated sense of superiority would override any fear of failure. They are mighty dragons! They can't fail! However a bunch of them never even try, even after seeing their compatriots succeed. Just leaves me scratching my head.

Conclusion. This is not one of my longer reviews but I literally can't wait to see how everything ties up. I am even worried that some of the storylines, specifically the newest ones, will be left dangling. I hope not but I suppose it is possible. Would not be the first time a sidestory was a lead in to a new series. Now if you'll please excuse my brevity, there are a few hours left before dawn and I have reading to do...

Originally posted @ Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
  Mulluane | Apr 11, 2014 |
Good, but ultimately disatisfactory. I was hoping for an ending, or at the very least, anything conclusive. Now I am left hanging until the next book! Why could this not be a trilogy like all your other books, Hobb? ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
BRILLIANT book. I hadn't read a book from this series in well over a year but as soon as I picked it up I got lost in the story again and felt like I was with all my old friends. ( )
  phenske | Aug 13, 2013 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morris, JackieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Opgedragen aan de Kleine Rode Hoen.
Met speels gemak bereed ze de luchtstromingen.

Once, dragons ruled the Rain Wilds, tended by privileged human servants known as Elderlings. But a series of cataclysmic eruptions nearly drove these magnificent creatures to extinction. Born weak and deformed, the last of their kind had one hope for survival: to return to their ancient city of Kelsingra. Accompanied by a disparate crew of untested young keepers, the dragons embarked on a harsh journey into the unknown along the toxic Rain Wild River. Battling starvation, a hostile climate, and treacherous enemies, dragons and humans began to forge magical connections, bonds that have wrought astonishing transformations for them all. And though Kelsingra is finally near, their odyssey has only begun.

Because of the swollen waters of the Rain Wild River, the lost city can be reached only by flight—a test of endurance and skill beyond the stunted dragons’ strength. Venturing across the swift-running river in tiny boats, the dragon scholar Alise and a handful of keepers discover a world far different from anything they have ever known or imagined. Immense, ornate structures of black stone veined with silver and lifelike stone statues line the silent, eerily empty streets. Yet what are the whispers they hear, the shadows of voices and bursts of light that flutter and are gone? And why do they feel as if eyes are watching them?

The dragons must plumb the depths of their ancestral memories to help them take flight and unlock the secrets buried in Kelsingra. But enemies driven by greed and dark desires are approaching. Time is running out, not only for the dragons but for their human keepers as well.

Accompanied by human keepers, the dragons embark on a dangerous journey to their ancient, mythical homeland of Kelsingera, and along the way form deep bonds with the humans that are severely tested during the journey's final days.

118 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible