Roman Solaire and the Crystal Towers (The…

Roman Solaire and the Crystal Towers (The Solaire Series #1) (edition 2011)

by Mobashar Qureshi

Member:Scoshie
Title:Roman Solaire and the Crystal Towers (The Solaire Series #1)
Authors:Mobashar Qureshi
Info:

Roman Solaire and the Crystal Towers by Mobashar Qureshi

No tags.

Quick read! Great storyline just needs to be expanded on. If you are looking for a quick read to fill some time, this is the book for you. It is easy to read and can be read in one setting.

*Given this novella in exchange of an honest review* ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Jul 17, 2013 |
I received this book as part of a LibraryThing give-away. I also know this writer from a writers' forum and I find this review not easy to write, but I was asked to review as part of the give-away.

I think the story and series has potential. It's fast-paced, with lots of action. It's not a story you'd read for character development, but that's within expectations of the genre.

That said, as this story stands, it falls down for me in one small and one fairly big area.

First of all, the style bothers me. There are (on my ereader) whole pages with paragraphs that are 4-6 words long and all start with the same word. Descriptions are so sparse as to make me think that this is a first draft. My first drafts look like this, because I haven't yet filled the scenes out with words that add colour and emotion and I haven't yet weeded out repetition and "the cat sat on the mat" type sentences. There is lots of pronoun confusion, especially at the start of the book.

More seriously, the characters do not feel like they are either very smart or knowledgeable in their field of work. The problem is that I don't think enough solid research went into the story.

They ask in-your-face-type obvious questions like "Do you want to do business?" Well, why else does someone come into an office?

Or they would not say stuff like "maybe it's some tax cheat". They would KNOW how crims cheat on their tax.

The agency never suspected Fox's wife? Really? He's supposed to be sending money to Africa, she's described as medium-dark, and they can't tell that she's got African heritage? They can't put two and two together? Even if they really couldn't tell by her looks (which I find very hard to believe), they never ran any background checks on her? Seriously? I mean--all property crooks around here put all their stuff in their wife's name. That's the oldest trick in the book.

And: there is no way of transferring money internationally that is not traceable. Seriously? Never heard of bitcoins? Google it.

Google did not bring up anything under "Court of International Law" which makes me think it's made up, but then, the rest of the book is not James Bond enough to be scifi and justify made-up stuff.

A million dollars is not a very expensive unit.

And why such awkward descriptions of the bit of technology that Levack uses in the pursuit. If these guys knew what they were doing, they would be bristling with technology, or have backup vans somewhere bristling with technology. Even if they weren't bristling with technology, they would speak about the technology in language bristling with tech jargon, because they would know the surveying tech inside and out.

I'm neither a crime writer nor serious crime reader, but these guys sound like they're bumbling through stuff.

This could be an interesting James Bond-like tale, but it would require much more solid research into the methods and tech used by spies. Crime, Science fiction and historical fiction are research-heavy genres. Research isn't only interesting, it makes a vast, VAST difference to the quality of the result. It lifts a vaguely amusing story to a story that feels authentic, teaches readers things they didn't know and makes readers recommend the story to others. ( )
  Patty_Jansen | Jul 6, 2013 |
Yet another good story by Mobashar Qureshi. This is about the 5th novel I've read by this author and every story has been worth reading. This one is as well. Nice taut little thriller that gives you just enough to keep you interested. First in the series was an excellent way to spend the afternoon in the sun and I can not wait to read book 2 and 3. Good Job. ( )
  Scoshie | Dec 14, 2012 |
Great book! A quick read...it's so well written, clear and concise, that it's easy to finish in one sitting!
Roman Solaire is a very cool character..strong and truly cares about trying to do the right thing! I sure hope to see many more books involving him and his new, not totally unwelcome, side kick!! ( )
  dolphinchick | Apr 2, 2012 |
4 STARS
I enjoyed Roman Solaire. I tried something new with my kindle I turned the audio on and it read the book to me. Not as well if I bought a audio cd but it let me listen to the book while I was able to do other things at same time. I think I am going to do this a lot and be more productive and read more books than I can do other wise.
Roman Solaire gets things done, he does not work for any goverment and does what he thinks is right. He took months to figure out how to get a key off one person by being a waiter and by helping custome lifted key from around his neck. But later pictures showed of him doing it and he was blackmailed into doing another job with expenses paid. He took them up on that.
It was a well written story that made it easy to follow Romain and made sense of how he set himself up to get the information he wanted. I will read more of his books or listen to them. It kept my attention in the story. I was given this ebook from librarythings in exchange of honest review. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Dec 29, 2011 |

Mobashar Qureshi is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,233,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible