Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems

Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems

Member:briannad84
Title:Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
Authors:Mo Willems
Info:Walker & Company (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Animals, Art, Children's, Humor, Talking Animals

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) by Mo Willems (2012)

Another cute one from Mr. Williams! My children and I enjoyed this one greatly. Easy for late Kinder-gardeners, and early 1st graders.
Pidgin loses his temper in this one, and duckling handles the situation with the right amount of politeness. ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a delightful children’s book. Mo Willems is an author/illustrator I hadn’t heard of prior to this semester, and I enjoyed reading some of his books. “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” is likeable for many reasons. First, one of the most attractive qualities of this book is the characters, who are full of personality. For example, The Duckling is a small, quiet, seemingly reserved character with an adorable, juvenile disposition. The Pigeon, on the other hand, is somewhat of a “loose cannon,” and he tends to act on his emotions: “Sometimes I ask for a hug. Or I’ll ask for one more story! I can’t count the times I’ve asked for my own personal iceberg. I ask to stay up late! Oh yeah, I’m the asking-est pigeon in town! But do I get what I ask for? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” This hilarious rant delivered by the Pigeon is accompanied by cute, childlike illustrations that show personality and movement, as the Pigeon works himself up, which introduces another example of the likeable characteristics of this story. The illustrations are simple and hand-drawn in crayon, with a pastel selection of colors. Even the text in “The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?” is drawn with crayon, and the Pigeon’s dialogue is in text bubbles, while the Duckling’s speech is written smaller, in a different front, and connected to his character by using lines. There is one part in the story, part of it quoted above, where the Pigeon has an outburst and the text and illustrations are broken up into squares, four squares to a page. This formatting is attractive and unique, but in my opinion, it also helps the reader to understand that Pigeon is upset, talking quickly, and venting. My most favorite feature of the book is the way Mo Willems used a simple plot about a cookie to portray such an important message. The big idea of this endearing picture book is two-fold: first, it is important to consider the alternatives of a situation before allowing oneself to become upset. Secondly, it is good to be a supportive friend and share what you have with others. ( )
  kbrash1 | Apr 26, 2014 |
Be Happy with what you have.
  JCBest | Feb 6, 2014 |
Be Happy with what you have.
  JCBest | Feb 6, 2014 |
Mo Willems is one of my favorite children's author. He has mastered the ability to teach children important life lessons by using comedy and pigeon's. The reader is being taught an important life lesson, in this case a lesson about the importance of good behavior, and the reader barely notices until the end. In this story, the pigeon is fed up with the duckling because he always gets a cookie and it is not fair. This makes the story relocatable, especially for children who have siblings because they often find themselves in "unfair" situations. But then when the duckling selflessly offers the pigeon his cookie, it becomes a story of sharing and positive behavior. My evaluation is that this story is both creative and funny, but also uses illustrations as much as written word. ( )
  emills4 | Sep 24, 2013 |

Funny little book that clearly demonstrates dialogue.  Duckling "politely" asks for a cookie and gets it.  Pigeon feels cheated; he ask for all kinds of things and doesn't get any of them.  Duckling patiently listens as Pigeon rants and raves about how unfair it is Duckling got a cookie, a cookie with nuts, but he didn't!  Then Duckling says she could just give the cookie to Pigeon.  Wow, Pigeon says how nice Duckling.  Then Duckling simply and politely ask for another cookie, without nuts!

Pigeon is very angry when the duckling gets a cookie just by asking politely.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible