Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems

Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems

Member:briannad84
Title:Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
Authors:Mo Willems
Info:Walker & Company (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Animals, Art, Children's, Humor, Talking Animals

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems (2012)

This short picture book has simple drawings that do not look difficult and they lack detail. To put it simply, the illustrations do not depict real life ducklings or pigeon, but rather are fun drawings. The end pages following the cover have cookies drawn on them and only after starting the reading did I realize there were also nuts on those cookies. I love how pigeon is on the dedication page showing us his personality by saying, "I do not like the look of that title." One of the creative features of the text is the partial cookie that we see at the top of the page as the duckling receives the cookie that he asked for. The pages of the book are soft colored and the text of the story looks as though it is part of the illustration rather than being typed. Through the simple drawings we can see the characters personality, the humor and emotions. One of my favorite parts are the end papers that come after the story. The duckling asks for another cookie, this time without any nuts. We never see ducking receive a cookie, however the endpapers have cookies, without nuts, and one them has a big bite taken out. After the story is finished, we can infer that duckling gets another cookie by asking politely! ( )
  Chafkins | Sep 14, 2016 |
It does help to read another Pigeon book first, so you know what kind of character Pigeon is. Oh yeah, I'm the askingest pigeon in town."

I'm not sure I'm entirely enamored of the huge eye on the duckling - it's like a satire on the concept of cute. But the very last punchline, yeah, this is the cleverest duckling in town." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Love, love, love the Pigeon. This series is one of my favorites! ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
It's another Pidgeon book and probably one of my favorites. In this one, the duckling gets a cookie and the pidgeon is extremely jealous and goes through all of the reasons why he should also get a cookie. The pidgeon books are hilarious and a lot of fun to read out lout to a child. The pidgeon usually speaks directly to the reader and leaves a lot of room for the reader to interact back with it. ( )
  NRedler | May 3, 2016 |
This book is a great example of a picture book/fable/fantasy because it gives really illustrations that show how the Pigeon is feeling and how the duck feels with all the different expressions that they show. It also gives lots of expressions with the wording that is in the book and makes you want to read more and shows how good manners are great to have just like for the duckling.
Media: color pencil, ink ( )
  kschindler | Mar 23, 2016 |

Funny little book that clearly demonstrates dialogue.  Duckling "politely" asks for a cookie and gets it.  Pigeon feels cheated; he ask for all kinds of things and doesn't get any of them.  Duckling patiently listens as Pigeon rants and raves about how unfair it is Duckling got a cookie, a cookie with nuts, but he didn't!  Then Duckling says she could just give the cookie to Pigeon.  Wow, Pigeon says how nice Duckling.  Then Duckling simply and politely ask for another cookie, without nuts!

Pigeon is very angry when the duckling gets a cookie just by asking politely.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,130,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible