Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems

Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems

Member:briannad84
Title:Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
Authors:Mo Willems
Info:Walker & Company (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Animals, Art, Children's, Humor, Talking Animals

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems (2012)

Summary – The little duckling uses his nice manners and politely asks for a cookie, and gets it. The pigeon is disgusted and expresses his feelings through a variety of hysterical illustrations and comments. Eventually, the duckling gives his cookie to the pigeon, with the purpose of asking for another cookie, this time without nuts.

Personal Response – This is another of Mo Willems’ creations that just touches both kids and adults alike. The pigeon’s expressions and comments are directed to the reader and are full of sarcasm and disbelief that the duckling could get something and he never does. We have now read several of the pigeon books and will continue on with this series as they are fun to read for everyone in the family.

Curricular Connections – This story could be used as a lesson in manners for young elementary students. It could also be used with upper elementary or middle school students to look at illustrations and/or use of sarcasm and postmodern elements in literature. ( )
  Lindsey33SMS | Feb 23, 2017 |
Fantasy
Age Appropriateness: Primary

Review/Critique:

The little duckling asks for a cookie and a cookie with nuts drops from the sky. All of a sudden the pigeon finds out that the duckling got what he asked for- a cookie. The pigeon freaked out, ranted, and raved. After the rant was over, the duckling gave the pigeon the cookie with nuts.

This book is good fantasy fiction because birds don't eat cookies, cookies don't come from the sky, and birds don't share cookies. They (birds) also don't talk. However, it is also a good fantasy fiction book because the birds are personified as people, making them relatable. ( )
  ebrink15 | Jan 23, 2017 |
This short picture book has simple drawings that do not look difficult and they lack detail. To put it simply, the illustrations do not depict real life ducklings or pigeon, but rather are fun drawings. The end pages following the cover have cookies drawn on them and only after starting the reading did I realize there were also nuts on those cookies. I love how pigeon is on the dedication page showing us his personality by saying, "I do not like the look of that title." One of the creative features of the text is the partial cookie that we see at the top of the page as the duckling receives the cookie that he asked for. The pages of the book are soft colored and the text of the story looks as though it is part of the illustration rather than being typed. Through the simple drawings we can see the characters personality, the humor and emotions. One of my favorite parts are the end papers that come after the story. The duckling asks for another cookie, this time without any nuts. We never see ducking receive a cookie, however the endpapers have cookies, without nuts, and one them has a big bite taken out. After the story is finished, we can infer that duckling gets another cookie by asking politely! ( )
  Chafkins | Sep 14, 2016 |
It does help to read another Pigeon book first, so you know what kind of character Pigeon is. Oh yeah, I'm the askingest pigeon in town."

I'm not sure I'm entirely enamored of the huge eye on the duckling - it's like a satire on the concept of cute. But the very last punchline, yeah, this is the cleverest duckling in town." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Love, love, love the Pigeon. This series is one of my favorites! ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
to Cher, one sweet cookie
Hello! May I have a cookie, please?

Funny little book that clearly demonstrates dialogue.  Duckling "politely" asks for a cookie and gets it.  Pigeon feels cheated; he ask for all kinds of things and doesn't get any of them.  Duckling patiently listens as Pigeon rants and raves about how unfair it is Duckling got a cookie, a cookie with nuts, but he didn't!  Then Duckling says she could just give the cookie to Pigeon.  Wow, Pigeon says how nice Duckling.  Then Duckling simply and politely ask for another cookie, without nuts!

Pigeon is very angry when the duckling gets a cookie just by asking politely.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible