Duckling Gets a Cookie!? by Mo Willems

Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mo Willems

Member:briannad84
Title:Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
Authors:Mo Willems
Info:Walker & Company (2012), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Animals, Art, Children's, Humor, Talking Animals

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) by Mo Willems (2012)

I liked this story a lot, it was a very cute plot and sent a good message. The writing was simple but well-done and the illustrations fit very well with the story. The plot focused around manners and friendship and involved two characters, a duckling and a pigeon. The duckling taught the pigeon how to politely ask for something and showed the pigeon that by asking nicely, you can receive what you want. For example, the pigeon wanted to cookie that the duckling had and yelled at the duckling so the duckling did not give him the cookie. However, after asking in a polite manner the duckling gratefully shared his cookie. This is an awesome message to send to young children and the plot definitely teachers a good lesson. Another impressive thing about this book is the way the author wrote in such a simple way but still got the message across. There were only a few words on most pages and these words were straightforward and easy for a young reader. The illustrations of the duckling and the pigeon arguing over the cookie added a great visual element to the story and I really enjoyed them. In conclusion I think this was a great, simple story targeted at a younger age-group. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Aug 31, 2015 |
The Duckling gets a cookie by Moe Wilis
Audio children's book about a pigeon and he's angry that the duckling gets a cookie by asking nicely.
Pigeon asks for a lot of things and he never gets them. The duckling explains how he can get a cookie himself.
  jbarr5 | Jul 16, 2015 |
I really love this book. The big idea of the book is sharing your cookie and interacting with the reader. I think it is adorable and perfect for reader interactions.For example, the duckling asks the reader for a cookie and after he asks, he gets a cookie on the next page. I feel this is a great aspect to the book because it allows the reader to get involved and enjoy the story. The reader can begin to act out and talk to the characters as well. I also liked how the author over exaggerated the emotions of the upset and jealous pigeon. The reaction of the pigeon is hilarious and keeps the reader engaged in debating if they should give the pigeon a cookie. For example, The pigeon says "I ASK ALL THE TIME!' The use of bold font, large print, and dramatic illustrations of the pigeon shows the range of emotions he is going through. ( )
  kfrey4 | May 4, 2015 |
I liked this book for a couple of reasons. First, I loved the unique aspect of interacting with the reader. For example, the duckling asks the reader for a cookie and after he asks, a cookie appears on the page. The duckling also explains to the pigeon that all he did to get the cookie was ask. I like this feature because it makes readers feel like they play a part in the story, which makes them feel important. Next, I liked how the author exaggerated how upset and jealous the pigeon became. As the pigeon's jealousy increased, the humor in the book increased. For example, the pigeon started off just asking where the duckling got his cookie, the pigeon eventually starts to go crazy by asking numerous questions about not getting what he asks for. The bold font, large print, and illustrations of the pigeon flapping and screaming all contribute to the pigeons emotions. The big idea of the book was to show the reader the power of being patient and polite, just like the duckling when he politely asked for the cookie. ( )
  CatalinaDiaz | May 1, 2015 |
This book shares the importance of being nice and showing others respect. Through the book the student will be able to see how being nice can get you what you want. ( )
  chretaylor | Feb 12, 2015 |

Funny little book that clearly demonstrates dialogue.  Duckling "politely" asks for a cookie and gets it.  Pigeon feels cheated; he ask for all kinds of things and doesn't get any of them.  Duckling patiently listens as Pigeon rants and raves about how unfair it is Duckling got a cookie, a cookie with nuts, but he didn't!  Then Duckling says she could just give the cookie to Pigeon.  Wow, Pigeon says how nice Duckling.  Then Duckling simply and politely ask for another cookie, without nuts!

Pigeon is very angry when the duckling gets a cookie just by asking politely.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,085,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible