The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton

The Laughing Corpse (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:VeraMarie
Title:The Laughing Corpse
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Ace (1994), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Unconfirmed, Everything
Tags:zombies, female protagonist, series, paranormal, vampire, keeper

The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton (1994)

English (64)  French (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (66)
The Laughing Corpse is bad. Hopefully, it is the worst (early) Anita Blake LKH churned out. We are thrown immediately into the plot in true Anita fashion. The first villain appears in the first chapter. He is a very rich man (with a bald cat, a spin-y chair, and an evil laugh) who offers Anita a large amount of money. In exchange, he asks her to raise a zombie that is so old it would require a human sacrifice. Just like that. In his introduction and the novel's the first chapter. With Burt by her side. Anita isn't the human sacrifice type and things get heated as she turns him down. (aka Anita threatens to kill everyone)

In the third chapter it is revealed that there is a zombie roaming around St Louis killing families.

In the fourth chapter Anita meets Dominga, an incredibly powerful voodoo priestess necromancer. It is established that the people who live in her community are terrified of her. Her neighborhood is free of gangs because Dominga sends zombies after any gang members that cause trouble there. She keeps spooky creepy dead things in her basement that chase people. Dominga's former lover and Anita's friend is revealed to have committed human sacrifice with Dominga. Does Dominga feel like a villain to you yet? Do you think Dominga is capable of raising a zombie that eats people? Anita doesn't. Anita has a feeling Dominga didn't do it.

This is the crux of the entire novel. LKH has Anita make continually terrible decisions to further the plot she initially storyboarded rather than one that fits the circumstances and the characters that she created. She throws the villains immediately into the story and has Anita act as though they are not true threats. Richy Rich is serious about human sacrifice and forcing Anita to do it for him. Dominga is clearly serious in her threats against Anita's life. Yet, Anita works out with Ronnie. She goes to work with no more weapons or protections for her life than normal. She focuses more on her outfits than on the story that she is in.

The Laughing Corpse is insulting to the reader and insulting to the almighty character, Anita Blake. ( )
  marcosburlybiceps | Mar 22, 2019 |
THE LAUGHING CORPSE is the second novel in the Anita Blake series. The action is nonstop. The humor is sharp as a wooden stake. And Anita is the girl of my dreams. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
2nd in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. This one has more to do with zombies than it does vampires really. Anita is called in by the police after it appears that a zombie has gone on the rampage. Anita also has an offer from an eccentric millionaire to raise a 300+ corpse, to do this however it requires a human sacrifice. Throw into the mix an little old abuela who actually is a very powerful voodoo priestess and you have the major plot lines in the book. Anita of course refuses the offer to raise the long dead, which upsets the eccentric. Anita also pisses off the little old grandmother who promptly sends two zombies to killer that evening. Through a number of twists and turns we find out that all the plot lines are intertwined. All leading to a massive climax in an old city cemetery in St. Louis. Does has some slow spots, but once it gets going it's a race to the end. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Nov 8, 2018 |
We continue to follow Vampire Hunter (or so they say, although there isn't that much vampire hunting actually happening...) Anita Blake and discover more of her world and her job through Animators, Inc. Anita has to solve a series of gruesome murders that the police require her help with. In addition to her work and side investigations, she is still being pestered by Jean Claude; learning more about the true powers she possesses; and unraveling the depth of magic in/around St. Louis.

I listened to the audio book version of this and while the narrator does Anita fine, she annoys me when she does Jean Claude. I understand he is this mysterious, old French vampire but her accent and tone is just silly and distracting. Luckily he wasn't a main part of this but I would imagine he will become more important throughout the series, since he can't seem to stay away from Anita.

This book was nothing special for me - there was action, some mystery, some magic and some humor drizzled here and there but overall, it was not memorable. I fault this in part to the original release being from 1994 and the vampire story has been done over and over since then. I see sooooo much of the Sookie Stackhouse in these and although I know they were written after, I still can't help comparing. This in no way means the books are bad, they just aren't for me. I will give book 3 a try and if it doesn't blow me away, I will likely hold off on the rest of the series (unless you have a good reason that I should keep going!) ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
zombies ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ricia Mainhardt, my agent: beautiful, intelligent, confident, and honest. What more could any writer ask for?
Harold Gaynor's house sat in the middle of intense green lawn and the graceful sweep of trees.

"THE OLDER THE ZOMBIE, THE BIGGER THE DEATH NEEDED TO RAISE IT."

After a few centuries, the only death "big enough" is a human sacrifice. I know, because I'm an animator. My name is Anita Blake.

Working for Animators, Inc., is just a job--like selling insurance. But all the money in the world wasn't enough for me to take on the particular job Harold Gaynor was offering.

Somebody else did, though--a rogue animator. Now he's not just raising the dead... he's raising Hell.

And it's up to me to stop it...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134449, Mass Market Paperback)

Harold Gaynor offers Anita Blake a million dollars to raise a 300-year-old zombie. Knowing it means a human sacrifice will be necessary, Anita turns him down. But when dead bodies start turning up, she realizes that someone else has raised Harold's zombie--and that the zombie is a killer. Anita pits her power against the zombie and the voodoo priestess who controls it. Notice to Hollywood: forget Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Anita Blake is the real thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Anita Blake, a woman who has the power to reanimate dead bodies, refuses an offer of a million dollars to bring a three-hundred-year-old corpse back to life because the effort would require a human sacrifice, but when a less ethical animator takes the job, it is up to Anita to stop the resulting carnage.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,483,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible