The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake Vampire…

The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter) (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:MissyTaylor
Title:The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Ace (1994), Paperback, 304 pages

The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton (1994)

English (54)  French (1)  All languages (55)
This one was a little much. I love Anita's world and her abilities but I'm not super into zombie and zombie parts flying around. The woman in the beginning, the voodoo witch, was super scary. Ick. Overall not a bad book. I'm obviously trying to re-read the series so I will keep going. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Anita Blake is, or wants to be, deeply human. And as such, she is obsessively concerned with the protection of humans from the things that go bump in the night. To protect others, she is willing to put her very life on the line, but not her very soul, not unless that is the only way to protect others. As such, she can be irritating, infuriating, and a just plain pain-in-the-ass to the people (or creatures) who want to protect her.

The question of humanity in the first three books that I have read (I am on a mission to read every single Anita book, they are that good) is fascinating. Mostly in the question "What IS Humanity"? Is it only those persons whose DNA is 'pure' who are "human"? What defines "Humanity"? Humans are, first and foremost, basically animals. Homo Sapiens, a species of bipedal primates, characterized by a brain capacity averaging 1400 cc (85 cubic in.) and by dependence upon language and the creation and utilization of complex tools. OK. Werewolves can be defined in the same manner, as can vampires. Yes, vampires came back from the dead, but they were previously humans - and in this world, werewolves can be defined as a standard issue homo sapiens who has been affected by a disease, much as Proteus syndrome, or any other disease which causes genetic differential within the standard issue.

And what IS Anita Blake, herself? Patently something very different than a 'standard' human, as indicated by the obsessive need of Jean Claude to have her by his side, as well as that of the two newest master's in this work to capture and use her for their own ends. She is definitely different - and it will be interesting to see how Hamilton explores and expands that difference in her series.

Jean Claude's character is fascinating as well in the questions he puts forth regarding the definition of "humanity". ARE vampires all that different from humans? CAN vampires really love, or does his obsession for Anita equate merely to his plans for the city, and the abilities of Anita that will give him the power he craves? The thing is, I WANT to believe in Jean Claude, he is that sort of character. I want him to be good at his centre, to really care about Anita, about his people, and about what is right. Even though, at the same time, I see him as a monster, not for the fact that he is a vampire, but because he is calculating enough that he can see using Anita, and apparently uncaringly using the wolves, such as Anita's reporter friend, in such as way as to strike fear into their hearts and minds. What _does_ he get up to when Anita is not watching? It is creepy to think about it . . . (And if Richard is such a great guy, what is he doing, naked in bed, in a room containing both vampires and werewolves? Voyeurism? Group sex anyone? Creepy. And Anita never says a word about it. Kind of a misstep there, Ms. Hamilton? I can't see the somewhat prudish Anita letting that one slip by that easily.)

Yes, Jean Claude is very much a monster - but what Wall Street bully isn't also a monster? Humans can be monsters in ways that the most vicious of four-legged monsters would never be able to fathom. Murder and serial killing for pleasure, child rape, religious war, the list of human atrocities goes on and on. So . . . who ARE the monsters? Really?

It will be interesting to see How Hamilton continues to develop the characters. While some people decry the violence of the books, and would rarely turn the reviews of her books into studies of the human psyche as I have a tendency to, I applaud Ms. Hamilton on her unblinking view of the "reality" of this amazing world she has built, and cannot but draw correlations between this world, and ours. I see very many lost sleep hours as I journey further and further into Anita's world. ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
I am listening to this series on audio while I am getting projects around the house done. It keeps me engaged and easy to listen to. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
Loved this book. Anita rocks! I listened to this book on audiobook and it was fast paced and entertaining. the reader was really good so i hope she reads for all the books in this series. ( )
  twokidsnablanket | Nov 2, 2013 |
“The Laughing Corpse” is a well-done follow-up for “Guilty Pleasures”. Hamilton has created a gruesome, action-filled series with a strong independent female heroine.

This second novel, introduced us to the world of voodoo and the dangers of powerful magic. Anita Blake must confront a voodoo priestess while coming to terms with a change of relationship with the new master vampire of the city.

Hamilton’s writing is as descriptive as ever with antidotes of sarcasm mixed in. The details of the murders that she must help solve and of the creatures is incredible and provide a level of realism to a world of pure fiction. The short chapters make for easy reading and it is a book that quickly becomes absorbing.
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ricia Mainhardt, my agent: beautiful, intelligent, confident, and honest. What more could any writer ask for?
Harold Gaynor's house sat in the middle of intense green lawn and the graceful sweep of trees.

wikipedia.com- The Laughing Corpse continues the adventures of Anita Blake, as she attempts to solve a particularly grisly set of murders, while simultaneously avoiding two potential threats to her life from people interested in using her talents as a zombie animator. Meanwhile, Anita continues to attempt to come to grips with her powers and her relationship with Jean-Claude, the vampire master of St. Louis and Anita's would be lover/master.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134449, Mass Market Paperback)

Harold Gaynor offers Anita Blake a million dollars to raise a 300-year-old zombie. Knowing it means a human sacrifice will be necessary, Anita turns him down. But when dead bodies start turning up, she realizes that someone else has raised Harold's zombie--and that the zombie is a killer. Anita pits her power against the zombie and the voodoo priestess who controls it. Notice to Hollywood: forget Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Anita Blake is the real thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:41 -0400)

Anita Blake, a woman who has the power to reanimate dead bodies, refuses an offer of a million dollars to bring a three-hundred-year-old corpse back to life because the effort would require a human sacrifice, but when a less ethical animator takes the job, it is up to Anita to stop the resulting carnage.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible