The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire…

The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) (original 1994; edition 2005)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:Nyxks
Title:The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Berkley Trade (2005), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read and Own, Your library
Rating:***

The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton (1994)

English (58)  French (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (60)
After reading Guilty Pleasures and falling hook, line, and sinker into the Anita Blake world, I eagerly rushed forward to devour the second offering. The Laughing Corpse digs deeper into Blake’s world, shows off more of Jean-Claude, Ronnie, and the polices characters.

As always, Anita is surrounded by problems with no immediate, easy solution in sight. Emphasis isn’t placed heavily on her vampire slaying, more with her job as an animator. The suspense and story is strong from the beginning; action begins immediately and never lets up. The ending is one of the strongest out of the series, nearly knocking me to the floor with its intensity.

The voodoo priest as the villain is also one of my favorites out of every book. She’s dark, creepy, and as evil as they come – her showdowns with Anita were brilliant.

Jean-Claude still isn’t shown much, which is a shame. The chemistry between him and Anita is amazing; Hamilton plays up on it heavily and it’s always thrilling to me, in more ways than one, to read their exchanges. This time around Jean-Claude wants something else from Anita (I won’t give away spoilers) and seeing her run from it is great fun.

Hamilton consistently writes with a light, humorous hand while dealing with dark, depressing material. The characters she has written about are strong, unique in their own ways, and goal-driven.

I enjoyed this one even more than the first – it keeps getting better, not an easy feat to pull off. I can’t find much fault with it, great stuff. The Anita Blakes are also rich in mystery; it somehow manages to come together at the end, remaining secretive and mysterious throughout the novel.

The gore is pretty heavy, particularly the death scenes. Another big thumbs up for this book.

A definite recommendation for a sequel just be sure to start at the beginning in order to keep up to date. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
"The Laughing Corpse" is the second in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton, although the focus is much more on her job as an Animator than as the person the vampires call The Executioner. Once again the title is taken the name of a St. Louis hangout for those who like to visit the dark side, in this case a comedy club (helpful hint: zombies do not like to be the butt of jokes). I was surprised to decide at the end of "The Laughing Corpse" that it was not only an improvement over the first book in the series, but one of the best horror stories I have ever read (and I read a lot of horror novels). There is a lot going on her, but Hamilton weaves the various cases, most of which would have sustained an entire novel, into a coherent narrative. I really was surprised when everything came together in the end. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
UGH! Zombies are just creepy. No matter what the plot, the genre... I'm just never going to be happy to see a zombie. Or a voodoo priestess will ill intent. ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
The second book in the Anita Blake series. A zombie has gone rogue and is attacking families so the police call Anita in to help with the case. Anita also has to deal with Harold Gaynor who wants her to perform a human sacrifice to raise a very old zombie. The end of the book was exciting but it took a long time to for much of anything to happen. I think I'll continue the series but I'm not in a huge hurry to do so. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
2nd in the Anita Blake Series. A little more gory than the first book, but just as good. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ricia Mainhardt, my agent: beautiful, intelligent, confident, and honest. What more could any writer ask for?
Harold Gaynor's house sat in the middle of intense green lawn and the graceful sweep of trees.

"THE OLDER THE ZOMBIE, THE BIGGER THE DEATH NEEDED TO RAISE IT."

After a few centuries, the only death "big enough" is a human sacrifice. I know, because I'm an animator. My name is Anita Blake.

Working for Animators, Inc., is just a job--like selling insurance. But all the money in the world wasn't enough for me to take on the particular job Harold Gaynor was offering.

Somebody else did, though--a rogue animator. Now he's not just raising the dead... he's raising Hell.

And it's up to me to stop it...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134449, Mass Market Paperback)

Harold Gaynor offers Anita Blake a million dollars to raise a 300-year-old zombie. Knowing it means a human sacrifice will be necessary, Anita turns him down. But when dead bodies start turning up, she realizes that someone else has raised Harold's zombie--and that the zombie is a killer. Anita pits her power against the zombie and the voodoo priestess who controls it. Notice to Hollywood: forget Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Anita Blake is the real thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Anita Blake, a woman who has the power to reanimate dead bodies, refuses an offer of a million dollars to bring a three-hundred-year-old corpse back to life because the effort would require a human sacrifice, but when a less ethical animator takes the job, it is up to Anita to stop the resulting carnage.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,480,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible