Losing My Faculties: A Teacher's Story by…

Losing My Faculties: A Teacher's Story

by Brendan Halpin

"Losing My Faculties" is one of those books that reminds you of those few great teachers you had and the many lousy ones you suffered under. It also made me think of all the teachers I wanted to recommend it to, each time open its pages. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
Brendan Halpin, high school English teacher extraordinaire, gives us this memoir of his first years in teaching. Although I'm not a teacher, I still found it inspiring, if only to know that other people struggle in their first years at a new career. It really brought me back to when I was in high school and it made me think about what kind of teachers I had and what kind of a student I was. It's interesting to see high school from a different point of view. ( )
  abbylibrarian | Apr 6, 2007 |
I read this off and on a year ago, and still remember some anecdotes the author shared in this book. A must-read for anyone who wants to know what it's like to be a teacher in a public school. ( )
1 vote emigre | Dec 1, 2006 |

I am just one of those rare and probably defective people who really enjoy the company of teenagers.

Brendan Halpin’s It Takes a Worried Man—a memoir of how he and his family dealt with his wife’s battle against breast cancer—was praised for its can-dor, raw humor, and riveting voice. Halpin now turns his unique talent to an unforgettable account of the pursuit of his true calling: teaching.

Losing My Faculties follows Halpin through teaching jobs in an economically depressed white ethnic town, a middle-class suburb, a last-chance truancy prevention program in the inner city, and an ambitious college-prep urban charter school. In the same cuttingly observant voice that marked It Takes a Worried Man, Halpin tells us what it really means to be a teacher—the ups and downs in the classroom, the battles with administrators and colleagues, and the joy of doing a job that matters. Not the tale of a hero who changes his troubled students’ lives in one year, Losing My Faculties is, rather, the story of an all-too-fallible teacher who persists in spite of the frustrations that have driven so many others from the profession. After nine years of teaching, Halpin finds his idealism in shreds but his sense of humor and love for his work blessedly intact.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:43 -0400)

In his first nine years as a teacher, Brendan Halpin goes from wide-eyed idealist to cynical, heartbroken idealist. Unique among teaching memoirs, Losing My Faculties is not the story of a heroic teacher who transforms the lives of his hardbitten students; rather, it's the inspirational and often unpretty truth about people who choose to get up ridiculously early day after day and year after year to go stand in front of teenagers. It's also a rarely-seen, all-access view of both suburban and urban education, including the ugly truth behind the mythology at a much-hyped charter school.… (more)

Brendan Halpin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,443,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible