BioShock: Rapture by John Shirley

BioShock: Rapture

by John Shirley

Recently added byAzeriaHaiiro, bpagano, 4lun, Tyler_Austin, ocgreg34, private library, shantedze, Fixtone, bgknighton
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Not nearly as accessible reading, but a point of origin for the political and social ideas upon which Rapture is modelled; strictly for those who would like to explore this further.

An amazing sync of what occurred in Bioshock 1 and 2. ( )
  Czarmoriarty | Nov 29, 2014 |
This was so fabulous!
It was a perfect back story to all the fascinating bits and pieces that make up Rapture and Bioshock.

I just wish there were more! ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
This is... not terribly great prose. It reminds me of when I wrote my first story. This is not a compliment.

The structure is all over the place. Characters get introduced, then forgotten about. There's about a thousand stories happening at once. In a book like "The Stand", each character was introduced slowly. Here there's no slow development. It feels like they're thrown in when they need to be. There's no quest, no viewpoint character, no antagonist. This really feels like bad fan fiction, written solely to make money. I think the author literally read the BioShock Wiki, all the dialogue and audio diaries, and simply wrote a story in a way to include all those bits.

The thing is there are more than a hundred diaries in Bioshock alone. And the author tries to include every one. It's character soup -- a hundred stories, plotlines upon plotlines, crossing over characters. There's simply too much here to make a novel, unless you're making "Les Miserables" or "War and Peace".

There's no interlocking, no crossover. The "Finding the Sea Slug" event is written basically word-for-word. No attempt to incorporate or connect events or make story flow non-linearly or give some flesh to people that otherwise only exist in snippets of spoken dialogue.

No attempt to innovate or enhance the storyline like good fan fiction should do. I was hoping for some explanation why everyone's walking around carrying giant tape recorders, or why society didn't immediately collapse when people discovered they could have psychic powers. It brings nothing new to the table.

The thing about Bioshock is that it's up to you, the player, to connect the storylines. And the more I read this book, the more I felt I could do better (that is, if I could handle the historical aspect). The culture is great, but the characters and story are practically plagiarized. The people who didn't play Bioshock won't understand anything and the people who did would be better off playing the game again. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 26, 2014 |
Only read a little. Didn't like. Too over the top. ( )
  BruceCrawford | Nov 22, 2013 |
It is a really good read especially if you are a fan of videogames. It explains everything perfectly from Frank Fan Taine’s Uprising and Ryan’s Police Takeover to Plasmids and Splicers. However, if you weren’t a fan of the games, it is still a good read. I read this book because I was a fan of the video games. I saw a prequel to them and I was very interested.
  edspicer | Jun 3, 2013 |
Dedicated to the fans of BioShock and BioShock 2.
Sullivan, chief of security, found the Great Man standing in front of the enormouswindow in his corporate office.

It's the end of World War II. FDR's New Deal has redefined American politics. Taxes are at an all-time high. The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki has brought a fear of total annihilation. The rise of secret government agencies and sanctions on business has many watching their backs. America's sense of freedom is diminishing . . . and many are desperate to take there freedom back.

Among them is a great dreamer, an immigrant who pulled himself from the depths of poverty to become one of the wealthiest and admired men in the world. That man is Andrew Ryan, and he believed that great men and women deserve better. And so he set out to create the impossible, a utopia free from government, censorship, and moral restrictions on science--where what you give is what you get. He created Rapture---the shining city below the sea.

But as we all know, this utopia suffered a great tragedy. This is the story of how it all came to be . . .and how it all ended.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:56 -0400)

A prequel to the video-game franchise explains how the technologically advanced undersea city called Rapture came to be and how it eventually devolved into a chaotic dystopia.

24 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,863,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible