Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel by Cynthia Hand

Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel (edition 2012)

by Cynthia Hand

Member:Bookish_Nimue
Title:Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel
Authors:Cynthia Hand
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:angels, young adult, love-triangle, romance

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

I finally finished this book. But I am just now being able to do a review because I've been busy.

But this book for me was between 4/5 because it was such a slow read for me and didnt pick up until a little over 100 pages in (at least for me it didnt pick up and make me want to stick with it until then)

Of course, I didn't hate it. It was interesting enough, but just wasnt as good as the first.

Although I like Tucker, I am and have always rooted for Clara and Christian to be together. I always thought they should be the ones that needed to be together and were meant to be together.

I do kind of see where Jeffrey may be going in this series..And I would be surprised if he didn't get into some serious issues in Boundless. (No, I have not read it yet and I don't consider my last comment a spoiler). I am still not totally sure about Angela and I still find her utterly annoying..Along with Wendy.

And the surprise about someone in the book was amazing to me and I loved it! I wasn't expecting that little twist she had in here.

Its good to see that Clara and Jeffrey finally found some people who she could go to beyond Angela for advice and some actual truth about what it is to be an Angel-Blood.

So, I am nervous about Boundless but also excited because I want to see what happens next.

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Beautiful. That’s the best word I can use to describe this book. I know many of my friends found Hallowed less captivating than Unearthly, and I do see why, but I absolutely loved this book for it’s writing, it’s emotional intensity, and Clara’s growth. As the summary says, someone Clara loves dies, and she KNOWS it’s going to happen. So much of this book is Clara dealing with her grief while wrestling with her identity as an angel-blood.

There’s quite a bit more in that area as well. I can’t talk about it for fear of spoilers, but let me just say there were things I did not see coming, and plot twists that I really loved. I think Hallowed managed to strike the balance between setting up this story arc perfectly for the third book while also not suffering from second book syndrome. Quite a feat.

The Tucker/Clara/Christian love triangle was just as present in this book. It began to tire me out a little during Hallowed, but it’s still one of my favorite love triangles. I really like how both Tucker and Christian appeal to different parts of Clara. Tucker is the down-to-earth cowboy who lets Clara just be for a while, to be completely comfortable with who she is and where she is. On the other hand, I feel that Christian, appealing to Clara’s angel side, urges Clara on to higher aspirations, and keeps her working towards a purpose. Both of these things are important for Clara, and it’s not clear-cut who is the “right” side in the love triangle. Sure, my favorite hasn’t changed(Tucker), but I think it was a little more balanced in this book.

Clara’s grief towards the approaching death in the book is dealt with in a way that is almost slightly muted, which really serves to actually amplify the grief factor. I loved this part so much, even as I hated what was happening to the characters I came to love. I just thought it was so well-written. It wasn’t overly sappy, as story lines like this one sometimes become, but the grief felt very raw and very real.

I thought Clara had developed quite a bit as a character as well. She’s still the same Clara from book one, selfish sometimes, not always the most caring, but she’s matured at the same time. I think her character has great potential to become a favorite in the third book.

Final Impression: A second book that I liked even better than the first, Hallowed left me with no complaints. I loved Clara’s character development, and the way grief was handled in this book. It was so raw and real, I felt for the characters SO SO much. This one’s a winner. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
And now I'm sad, because it's time for the long wait until book 3 comes out. This was a really good book! I love it when an author doesn't shy away from the tough journey. Things are definitely not easy for Clara in this one. It all starts out well, which of course is the first sign that things are about to get miserable. The changes are poignant, never sappy, and quite moving. I'm moving book 3 to my "eagerly anticipated" shelf, because I really want to know what happens next. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I don't know if I'm just really emotional right now, or what, but the death stuff made me weepy. I thought those parts were beautifully written.

Saw some things coming, but who cares. :) I'll be interested to see where this goes in the next book. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |

Torn between her love for her boyfriend Tucker and her complicated feelings about the role she seems destined to play, sixteen-year-old part-angel Clara Gardner races to decipher a new vision that could signify the end for someone close to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,654,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible