Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel by Cynthia Hand

Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel (edition 2012)

by Cynthia Hand

Member:Bookish_Nimue
Title:Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel
Authors:Cynthia Hand
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:angels, young adult, love-triangle, romance

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

**I shan’t spoil this.

Oh, Cynthia Hand. You wily author, you.

I find this book hard to review, as there’s little I can say without giving all of it away. Hallowed picks up right where Unearthly left off. You remember Unearthly. How swoon-worthy it was and how you knew throughout that everything, at least romance-wise, was right with the world? Yah, well prepare to have your Unearthly world turned upside down.

It’s the sign of a very talented author to be able to manipulate/coerce her audience to agree with her storyline’s every whim. I know that not everyone will jump ship, but be honest – you, at least, got your feathers ruffled. If I sound vague, it’s cuz I’m not in the business of spoiling books, but everyone who has read it knows what I mean. That’s all I will say on the matter.

Lies. I will also say this on the matter: Tucker, who? Haha. J/K!, sike, and all that. I love Tucker, but let’s be honest – he hasn’t come to terms with the fact that Clara is a frikkin ANGEL and I dunno if he ever will. He wants to be there for her, but I’m unsure if he’s capable, being a mere human and stuff.

Hand is tricky, tricky lady, though, no? After book #1, I didn’t even LIKE Christian. He was annoying and stalkerish to me. By the end of Unearthly, I could not fathom ever coming to like him over Tucker for Clara. So, I applaud you Hand, cuz I’m officially on the fence now. Dude. When Christian sat outside her window for HOOOOURS? That shit made my heart clench. It was poignant. He gets her. He totally gets her and doesn't push her to be that which she is not. Isn’t that a building brick of a stable foundation for a healthy relationship? It doesn’t negate all the wonderful things about Tucker-n-Clara, but it’s amazing how easily we’ve been led to see new possibilities. Bravo on that curveball, I say. What now? (bites nails)

Clara’s dad… I simultaneously like and dislike him. He’s awesome in many ways, but I don’t like how he’s just dropped into the story. He spent all those years away from the kids and trying to protect them, but then he comes back and just starts glory-ing people and introducing his glory-ful self to everyone as Clara’s dad? Nah. Too easy.

After Hand’s master manipulation (I mean that in a really good way), I dunno where we’re all going, but the anticipation is killing me. Book #3 can’t come soon enough.
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
“Our purpose on this earth is not one single event, an accomplishment we can check off a list. There is no test. No passing or failing. There's only us, each moment shaping who we are, into what we will become.”

Actual Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Gaaaaaaah. ASDFGHJKL. Where do I start? Well, how about the part where I tell you I LOVED this book. This book was definitely better than [b:Unearthly|7488244|Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)|Cynthia Hand|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1324782984s/7488244.jpg|9621771] in so many ways.

The Writing. I LOVED the writing. I devoured this story so fast because I feel like if I stopped reading it, I'm going to miss out some really great parts! (LOL, what?) I'm exaggerating but hey, cut me some slack. This book will do that to you. Gaah. I'm totally fangirling right now.

I still loved the MC, Clara! She's still funny and flawed. I liked that we see her making decisions, sometimes selfless, sometimes selfish. I didn't see her as a perfect person but I enjoyed feeling like I'm in this journey with her. I don't like the part where she talked back to her mother because she's grounded and not allowed to go see Tucker. You know when you do that, it totally means to your parents the boy is not good for you. But I believe Tucker is for Clara. She just made a mistake, that's all. I found her very beautiful, inside and out.

I am not a fan of love triangle but in this story, it was quite okay with me. I guess I just really planted in my mind that Clara is going to end up with Tucker anyway and there's no other possible choice, thank you very much. Ha. Who cares about purpose and destiny? I'm the prophet of my own life!

"Christian is my past. You're my future." Now I'm talking in cliches. "You're my right now."
"Man, do you ever have a way with words. Be still my heart."

Man, aren't they cute? I mean, come on. Who wouldn't like someone like Tucker? So what if he's not an angel-blood? What? That makes him worth less than others? I totally ship Clara with Tucker if it's not clear to you already.

Oh my. JEFFREY'S PURPOSE! I totally did not see that coming. He was the person who started the Palisades fire. He's suppose to be the one who's going to rescue Tucker in that freaking fire after all! Gah, what a disaster. Aww. I pity him actually when he broke up with his girlfriend. For someone so young like him, he didn't deserve everything that life was throwing at him.

I LOVED Clara's mom. And it doesn't surprise me actually when I start bawling when SHE DIED. She's so cool. I guess I kind of get why she's been keeping things from Clara. You cannot un-know thing you know? Some things just best hidden from our knowledge.

This book is full of surprises that every time I go to the next page, my mind will be shocked because there's another big revelation. How many times did this book surprised me? Just too many to count. (LOL no. I'm too lazy to keep count. The biggest surprise for I think is when I found out that Clara's DAD is an angel! An Intagere for that matter. I guessed that maybe Clara's dad is Samjeeza but lol, not at all. This book keep me guessing. I couldn't put this down.

I have grown to like Christian a bit but still.. I'm rooting for Clara to end up with Tucker. Gaaah. Clara and Christian is going to attend Stanford together while Tucker is left at Wyoming. I can't
handle this. XD
I mean what's the point of free will if you can't choose who you're going to end up with anyway? Is the right thing always what's best for you?

I absolutely recommend this series to everyone. Why did I pick this up just now? WHY? So please don't commit the same mistake that I've done. Go pick this series up right now. Can't wait to start the third book, [b:Boundless|13049981|Boundless (Unearthly, #3)|Cynthia Hand|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1342208984s/13049981.jpg|18214662]! :D ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Actual Rating: 4.5/5 stars

"Man, do you ever have a way with words. Be still my heart."

handle this. XD

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
I finally finished this book. But I am just now being able to do a review because I've been busy.

But this book for me was between 4/5 because it was such a slow read for me and didnt pick up until a little over 100 pages in (at least for me it didnt pick up and make me want to stick with it until then)

Of course, I didn't hate it. It was interesting enough, but just wasnt as good as the first.

Although I like Tucker, I am and have always rooted for Clara and Christian to be together. I always thought they should be the ones that needed to be together and were meant to be together.

I do kind of see where Jeffrey may be going in this series..And I would be surprised if he didn't get into some serious issues in Boundless. (No, I have not read it yet and I don't consider my last comment a spoiler). I am still not totally sure about Angela and I still find her utterly annoying..Along with Wendy.

And the surprise about someone in the book was amazing to me and I loved it! I wasn't expecting that little twist she had in here.

Its good to see that Clara and Jeffrey finally found some people who she could go to beyond Angela for advice and some actual truth about what it is to be an Angel-Blood.

So, I am nervous about Boundless but also excited because I want to see what happens next.

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Beautiful. That’s the best word I can use to describe this book. I know many of my friends found Hallowed less captivating than Unearthly, and I do see why, but I absolutely loved this book for it’s writing, it’s emotional intensity, and Clara’s growth. As the summary says, someone Clara loves dies, and she KNOWS it’s going to happen. So much of this book is Clara dealing with her grief while wrestling with her identity as an angel-blood.

There’s quite a bit more in that area as well. I can’t talk about it for fear of spoilers, but let me just say there were things I did not see coming, and plot twists that I really loved. I think Hallowed managed to strike the balance between setting up this story arc perfectly for the third book while also not suffering from second book syndrome. Quite a feat.

The Tucker/Clara/Christian love triangle was just as present in this book. It began to tire me out a little during Hallowed, but it’s still one of my favorite love triangles. I really like how both Tucker and Christian appeal to different parts of Clara. Tucker is the down-to-earth cowboy who lets Clara just be for a while, to be completely comfortable with who she is and where she is. On the other hand, I feel that Christian, appealing to Clara’s angel side, urges Clara on to higher aspirations, and keeps her working towards a purpose. Both of these things are important for Clara, and it’s not clear-cut who is the “right” side in the love triangle. Sure, my favorite hasn’t changed(Tucker), but I think it was a little more balanced in this book.

Clara’s grief towards the approaching death in the book is dealt with in a way that is almost slightly muted, which really serves to actually amplify the grief factor. I loved this part so much, even as I hated what was happening to the characters I came to love. I just thought it was so well-written. It wasn’t overly sappy, as story lines like this one sometimes become, but the grief felt very raw and very real.

I thought Clara had developed quite a bit as a character as well. She’s still the same Clara from book one, selfish sometimes, not always the most caring, but she’s matured at the same time. I think her character has great potential to become a favorite in the third book.

Final Impression: A second book that I liked even better than the first, Hallowed left me with no complaints. I loved Clara’s character development, and the way grief was handled in this book. It was so raw and real, I felt for the characters SO SO much. This one’s a winner. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |

Torn between her love for her boyfriend Tucker and her complicated feelings about the role she seems destined to play, sixteen-year-old part-angel Clara Gardner races to decipher a new vision that could signify the end for someone close to her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,101,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible