Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the…

Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles (edition 2011)

by Kim Newman, Tom Hodgkins (Narrator)

Member:m_k_m
Title:Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles
Authors:Kim Newman (Author)
Other authors:Tom Hodgkins (Narrator)
Info:Audible Ltd (2011), Edition: 1, Audiobook
Tags:mystery, sherlock

Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles (Professor Moriarty Novels) by Kim Newman

Although this book misses a chance to do something different with Moriarty, it does flesh out Moriarty and Moran from Sherlock fame. Through the writing of Colonel Sebastian 'Basher' Moran, we get a new view of the mysterious Professor James Moriarty and his criminal kingdom. If you enjoy seeing the bad guys have their victories, and like the idea of someone turning a classic like Sherlock on it's head, without actually mentioning Sherlock very much, then you'll enjoy this book. Don't hold your breath looking for familiar stories with a twist, though. ( )
  RecklessReader | Jun 18, 2016 |
I must admit that I’ve only read two other books by Kim Newman so far (the other one being Anno Dracula) but I am totally on the verge of going into fangirl mode. I love this guy. Mr. Newman’s books are witty and just plain fun.

In Professor Moriarty, we follow the exploits of Sebastian “Basher” Moran as told by himself in journal format. Recruited by Moriarty, he is, essentially, a paid assassin.

The thing I love the most about this book is that it’s told from the point of view of the villain. Or rather, his henchman. Moran is a terrible person. He kills for sport (both animals and humans), he gambles and he chases women with no actual feelings for them beyond the physical. He’s repulsive. Yet, I couldn’t help but root for him and when he got into his inevitable scrapes, I didn’t actually want him to die. The fact that the entire book is narrated by him gives us insight into his personality and makes him somewhat human. Partially, at least.

His first assignment from Moriarty was to assassinate a man whom we might consider a “good guy”. A good ‘ol do-gooder cowboy from the wild west with a woman and child to protect. This was where things got awkward. I cringed, knowing it was going to be a case of only one or the other surviving. Since it was the beginning of the book and we were effectively in Moran’s journal, I was reasonably sure that he wouldn’t be killed off. I steeled myself for the inevitable and was surprised by the outcome. I won’t spoil it for you, but I will say that Mr. Newman kept me guessing until the end.

I was quite pleased to find out that Sherlock Holmes wasn’t mentioned until the last 30 pages of the book or so. I must confess that I’m not actually a Sherlock fan. I’ve only read one Sherlock book many years ago and it just didn’t interest me.

It’s quite possible that this book could be riddled with references to various Sherlock Holmes books/cases, but I would have no idea. I was able to enjoy this book thoroughly even though I possess little to no knowledge of Sherlock lore.

The one thing (and it’s a very small thing) that I didn’t like about this book were the end notes. Perhaps these contained references to the Sherlock lore which eludes me. I don’t know. I didn’t read them. When I’m doing research, I’m happy to read end notes and footnotes but I find it to be very jarring in a novel. When I’m reading, I don’t want to know that the author exists. For me, a story should be captivating and all-consuming. I’m all about escapism. I don’t want anything to interrupt the flow. In fact, I’ve been told (by a highly reliable source) that when I’m nearing the end of a book, I tend to shoot eye darts at people who try to talk to me. It’s probably true…

My point is that I don’t like distractions when I’m reading and certainly not from the author.

Overall, I can say that I have nothing but love for this book. Fun, action-y with no silly love triangles. I’m pretty easy to please.
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
This collection of fiendishly clever, delightfully witty and yet brilliantly human and insightful short stories build up to a coherent and satisfying novel. Moriarty and Moran, a twisted reflection of Holmes and Watson, criminal genius and murderous Boswell in partnership as consulting criminals. The Newman genius for literary gamesmanship is in full effect here. The layers of references and jokes and obscure characters belie a deft and confident writing style and a dazzling plotter. Moran is a monster and Moriarty is a monster's master, but by the end of the book Newman has given them each a human dimension without once threatening take their side or grant them too much sympathy. Utterly brilliant. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
I'm not going to rate this. Usually this type of fair, and books by Newman, are ones I quite enjoy. This one though? I've sat on page #5 for over a month. Every time I pick up my Nook and decide which book I am going to delve into, I look at it, my finger hovers over the image of the cover and then I quickly scroll past. That has to tell me something and give anyone interested in reading my reviews who enjoys the same kind of reads I do, something as well.

I am consigning this book to my reading-but-set-aside-for-a-bit shelve. I won't toss it into the bored-but-will-get-through-eventually list because I don't know if I will ever bother with it- in fact I am taking it off my Nook. That being said, I won't heave it into the waste-of-time-horrible-books or not-worth-the-effort list.
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |

AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |

Imagine the twisted evil twins of Holmes and Watson and you have the dangerous duo of Prof. James Moriarty - wily, snake- like, fiercely intelligent, unpredictable - and Colonel Sebastian 'Basher' Moran - violent,politically incorrect, debauched. Together they run London crime, owning police and criminals alike. Unravelling mysteries -- all for their own gain.

A spin-off from Titan's highly successful Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series, The Hound of the D'Urbervilles sees acclaimed novelist Kim Newman (Anno Dracula) take on the fiendish Professor Moriarty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:19 -0400)

Presents the adventures of Professor Moriarty and his partner Colonel Sebastian 'Basher' Moran as they solve crimes for profit.

39 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,450,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible