Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the…

Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles (edition 2011)

by Kim Newman (Author), Tom Hodgkins (Narrator)

Member:m_k_m
Title:Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles
Authors:Kim Newman (Author)
Other authors:Tom Hodgkins (Narrator)
Info:Audible Ltd (2011), Edition: 1, Audiobook
Tags:sherlock

Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles by Kim Newman

I'm not going to rate this. Usually this type of fair, and books by Newman, are ones I quite enjoy. This one though? I've sat on page #5 for over a month. Every time I pick up my Nook and decide which book I am going to delve into, I look at it, my finger hovers over the image of the cover and then I quickly scroll past. That has to tell me something and give anyone interested in reading my reviews who enjoys the same kind of reads I do, something as well.

I am consigning this book to my reading-but-set-aside-for-a-bit shelve. I won't toss it into the bored-but-will-get-through-eventually list because I don't know if I will ever bother with it- in fact I am taking it off my Nook. That being said, I won't heave it into the waste-of-time-horrible-books or not-worth-the-effort list.
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
If Holmes and Watson are one side of a coin, Professor Moriarty and Colonel Sebastian "Basher" Moran are its dark side. As Moran recounts his experiences near the heart of the "spiderweb of crime", tales of murder, debauchery, and manipulation outside the realm of Doyle's tales come to light that may be better left in the shadows.

Newman's imagining of Moriarty and Moran will delight fans of Sherlock Holmes and literature in general. Playing with characters created by Doyle (and a multitude of other fictional creations including name dropping of the Phantom of the Opera, Sweeney Todd, and Tess D'Urberville), the novel is similar in style to the Holmes story but darker by far as Moran recounts just a few of his exploits as Moriarty's murderous right hand, most of which play with the Holmes canon but never directly overlap. Not for the squeamish or the profanity sensitive, Moran is a hideous but fascinating character whose brusque retelling of his relationship with the Napoleon of crime is worth a perusal. ( )
  MickyFine | Jul 9, 2013 |
Great fun. More than enough twists on a familiar theme to keep me interested. ( )
  Hubster | May 12, 2013 |
  Hubster | May 12, 2013 |
Newman was doing the pastiche/reboot before Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, etc., and he’s good at it. Basher Moran, a racist, sexist thug, is Moriarty’s right-hand man, and this is his account of some of their more interesting adventures. I liked the War of the Worlds parody best, but I suspect many Sherlock Holmes fans would enjoy the reversals of Watson’s recorded adventures, which of course include references to other unreported cases and internal inconsistencies in the same was that the original Holmes stories do. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 11, 2012 |

Imagine the twisted evil twins of Holmes and Watson and you have the dangerous duo of Prof. James Moriarty - wily, snake- like, fiercely intelligent, unpredictable - and Colonel Sebastian 'Basher' Moran - violent,politically incorrect, debauched. Together they run London crime, owning police and criminals alike. Unravelling mysteries -- all for their own gain.

A spin-off from Titan's highly successful Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series, The Hound of the D'Urbervilles sees acclaimed novelist Kim Newman (Anno Dracula) take on the fiendish Professor Moriarty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:30 -0400)

Presents the adventures of Professor Moriarty and his partner Colonel Sebastian 'Basher' Moran as they solve crimes for profit.

41 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,672,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible