Cinderella by Kinuko Craft

Cinderella

by Kinuko Craft

Other authors: Mahlon F. Craft (Designer)

I did not like this book overall. I found it to be boring and it to have too many words comapared to pictures. It is very formal compared to other Cinderella books. I would reccomend it to second or third graders. ( )
  Kyleboy | Apr 3, 2017 |
Cinderella is a fun story to work with, especially in the upper grades. My favorite activity is to read the book and discuss what they enjoyed, did not like, and what they would change. Then allow the students to take to story of Cinderella a rewrite it in a different location in a different time. Creativity really begins to shine through this activity! ( )
  Laura_Ashley | Nov 9, 2016 |
I loved the illustrations, Cinderella's gown was so beautiful and enchanting. There were grand scenes and lively colors, another favorite of mines was the appearance of her fairy god mother all dressed in deep blues and greens. It was a Cinderella tale I was more familiar with and it was told in great details. I don't believe it's an easy read for children though. ( )
  maturne2 | Sep 21, 2016 |
Summary:
This book is about a young woman named Cinderella who's father has died and becomes horribly mistreated by her new step-mother and step-sisters. One night after being banned from going to a formal ball: Cinderella is transformed into a princess by a hurt bird she is taking care of; whom first transforms herself into a fairy. The fairy helps Cinderella go to the ball for two nights so she may see the prince. While at the balls Cinderella also spends time with her step-mother and step-sisters and they can't guess it's her, because they think she is a princess based on her gowns and grace. Upon leaving the second night she leaves a glass slipper which the next morning the prince tries on every woman. When he gets to her house he recognizes her, and she pulls out and puts on the matching glass slippers turning into the princess from the ball. The step-mother and step-sisters are all astonished that the kind and refined princess was their own Cinderella. Finally Cinderella then leaves with the prince and they live happily ever after.

Personal Reaction:
This version is slightly different than the Disney one I had growing up. In this version Cinderella meets the prince in a meadow and finding her is the reason for the balls, which reminded me a little of how Sleeping Beauty meets her prince. Slight differences aside I still liked the book. The illustrations in the book look like great paintings and have such detail. As your reading the calligraphy that starts each page makes you feel as though you are reading a very decadent book and are in the story. After reading this version I wondered if it's twist is because it is from another culture. I love seeing the differences each culture plays on childhood favorites.

Classroom Extension:
1. In class we would talk about how it hurt Cinderella's feelings to be called names and bullied by the step family. We would also talk about how she was still nice to them when she didn't have to be, and how important it is to be nice to each other and treat everyone with respect.
2. In class using paper plates, crayons, construction paper, and brads we would make our own versions of the fancy clothes that Cinderella and the prince wore.
  JennDunham | Sep 15, 2016 |
At last, a Cinderella book that brings back the memory of my favorite fairytale book as a child. It was an entire volume of the Encyclopedia dedicated to classic fairy tales. Each double spread had long text on one side and a full-page glossy oil painting in great detail on the other. This book is similarly laid out but with less text, thankfully. The illustrations will knock your socks off. They are beautiful enough to be framed and hung. K. V. Craft is an extraordinary artist.

The first letter of each text of page is done like an illuminated manuscript, similar to my book Rumpelstiltskin's Child (I am not comparing my work to an artist of this calibre). I love the little details such as lizards climbing on the golden reeds.

Cinderella's ball gown is in a whole new category. The dance scene looks as though it is taking place at Versailles. Cinderellas second ball gown is even more stunning than the first. (This version follows the traditional story of two nights.) On the final page, where Cinderella and the Prince pose with his dog, the painting looks like it stepped off a museum wall.

On the title page it reads "the text for this book was adapted primarily from the Arthur Rackham Fairy Book and Andrew Lang's The Blue Fairy Book." On the first two pages we encounter the words haughty, assigned, chambers, mournful, lame, gallant, noble, distracted, huddled, wandered, humble, and hastily. The vocabulary is as rich as the illustrations.

This is the kind of book an older child would read or a parent might share and discuss with their child. If you want your child to experience an authentic Cinderella story, this is the one to choose. No matter how independent women become, some version of this story will always exist for little girls to enjoy and imagine.

For more children's book reviews and tips for sharing books with children, go to https://bferrante.wordpress.com/ ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Jul 10, 2016 |

Kinuko Craftprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, Mahlon F.Designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This brilliant edition of a timeless story is sure to become the favorite of a generation. Readers young and old will be enchanted by the vision and mastery of Kinuko Y. Craft's luminous paintings, inspired by the lavish artwork of late seventeenth-century France and embellished with extraordinary borders and ornamentation. Rich with radiant color and astonishing detail, here is a dream come true for anyone who has ever believed in living happily ever after.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

Although mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters, Cinderella meets her prince with the help of her fairy godmother.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,054,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible