Iguanas in the Snow by Francisco X. Alarcón

Iguanas in the Snow

by Francisco X. Alarcón

Most of the best children's poetry that I've seen is simple bright metaphor, like this:

_*A Blank White Page*_

is a meadow
after a snowfall
that a poem
hopes to cross

But this book also has little story poems like _*Migrant Life in Seasons*_. And it has snapshots of places and people in the neighborhood, like the description of Rocking Rafael the singing cable car conductor.

The exuberant pictures create a corresponding glow in the reader's spirit. I would totally use this in Spanish class in High School. And I will look for the other three in the set. And if I had kids, I would buy the set to share with them. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This deals with poems about the winter time. Another book that portrays people being proud of their heritage. This book also shows places to visit in the winter and beautiful scenery. The author uses the same illustrator and themes relevant to the book. This book would be great for teaching kids about the winter time.
  Nicole129672 | Oct 22, 2014 |
the book show a young boy spend his winter in the SF, but it make he recall his childhood in his hometown.
  xliao | Oct 20, 2014 |
This is an amazing book! There is both an English and Spanish version for each poem, and this could be a great way to include Spanish-speaking students and also a way to teach Spanish to children. The illustrations are very colorful and multicultural. There are also excerpts at the bottom of some of the pages that explain Mexican holiday traditions. ( )
  mmontet | Oct 21, 2011 |
This book has poetry in it that is written in both English and Spanish. There’s a poem about people being bridges to each other, San Francisco, family, and more. Each page is covered in diverse colors and the poem.

I enjoyed this book because it had both languages which is a really neat tool and could help teach students words in Spanish.

I would have the students read and try to write their own sentence using a classroom Spanish dictionary. We would have a class discussion about how many people from other countries learn to speak our language and that it would be nice for us to try to learn some of theirs.
  shelbyrae | Mar 28, 2011 |

This collection invites us to celebrate winter -- by the seashore, in the city of San Francisco, and in the ancient redwood forests of the Sierras. We see a city where people have become bridges to each other and children sing in two languages. A family frolic in the snow reminds the poet of the iguanas playing by his grandmother's house in Mexico. The seedling redwoods promise tomorrow. Maya Christina Gonzalez creates a spirited family of children and adults making their way through lively settings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

A bilingual collection of poems in which the renowned Mexican American poet celebrates winter in San Francisco and the mountains of Northern California.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible