El Hombre De Hielo Confesiones De Un Asesino…

El Hombre De Hielo Confesiones De Un Asesino a Sueldo De La Mafia (edition 2007)

by Philip Carlo

Member:abranov
Title:El Hombre De Hielo Confesiones De Un Asesino a Sueldo De La Mafia
Authors:Philip Carlo
Info:EDAF (2007), Perfect Paperback

The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
4.5 stars. Very good book.
I don't know what it is with Mister Carlo but he has a gift to make the meanest people seem human. He shows us not only the negative sides but also some of the good. That was the case with Richard Ramirez and now with Richard Kuklinski.
I thought I would not like Mafia books but this book proved me wrong. These guys are so cruel. Sometimes it was even for me, an avid true crime reader hard to swallow. (oops no point intended) ;) ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
This was an excellent book. It is about a very prolific serial killer and it contains thrills and action than the average fiction crime book. It really is an amazing story and the writing captures that. Richard Kuklinski is less interesting in some respects than other serial killers because he's quite sane, but I still enjoyed it. ( )
  CosmicPariah | Jan 9, 2013 |
Quite the life this killer has lead. When you hear all the different ways and how he killed it is horrifying yet interesting. Phillip Carlo really does a good job getting into the feelings(if he had any) and the stories Richard had to tell

Well Done ( )
  chuewyc | Jun 17, 2011 |
A tad far-fetched. Not sure how we're supposed to believe this is true... there's no proof offered for any of it and it sounds just like a sociopath's wetdream... so that's probably what it is...

I'm sure Richard was a bad guy, but don't go trying to tell me he murdered 50 street people in the mid-fifties and nobody noticed? yeah, uh-huh... sure... he definitely fantasized about all that... doing it? Nah, that's probably more on the fiction side...

This is supposed to be a biography, so even if you accept all the "facts" without any evidence you'll still be wondering why on earth the author felt it important to mention what Richard ate for Christmas dinner (no, seriously, he listed all the food items served at dinner, several times... like it's significant? I don't think it's realistic in an biography to itemize what anyone ate 30 years before.)

Sigh... all that being said, it's quite an interesting, albeit unbelievable, look at what a serial killer might be like. Treat it like fiction and it's quite entertaining, treat it like truth and you'll have to be very good at suspending disbelief.

I'd have given it 4 stars (as a fictional story) If it had been better edited- I really didn't need to be reminded every chapter that Richard had a bad temper, or that he knew how to use poisons, etc... tell me stuff once or twice throughout the book, fine... but after the 8th time, it is a bit much.

As a little insight into mob goings-on, it is kind of interesting... is it true? No idea. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jan 8, 2011 |
The Ice Man reveals one of the most dangerous contract killer in history, killing some over 200 people, effectively earning his nickname, Ice Man for his uncanny ability to kill, yet fell nothing. No remose, no regret. Avoiding arrest for over two decades, he finally met his fate. An absolute must read for many with some highly disturbing scenes.
  young42134 | Oct 21, 2010 |

Philip Carlo's The Ice Man spent over six weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List. Top Mob Hitman. Devoted Family Man. Doting Father. For thirty years, Richard “The Iceman” Kuklinski led a shocking double life, becoming the most notorious professional assassin in American history while happily hosting neighborhood barbecues in suburban New Jersey.

Richard Kuklinski was Sammy the Bull Gravano’s partner in the killing of Paul Castellano at Sparks Steakhouse. John Gotti hired him to torture and kill the neighbor who accidentally ran over his child. For an additional price, Kuklinski would make his victims suffer; he conducted this sadistic business with coldhearted intensity and shocking efficiency, never disappointing his customers. By his own estimate, he killed over two hundred men, taking enormous pride in his variety and ferocity of technique.

This trail of murder lasted over thirty years and took Kuklinski all over America and to the far corners of the earth, Brazil, Africa, and Europe. Along the way, he married, had three children, and put them through Catholic school. His daughter’s medical condition meant regular stays in children’s hospitals, where Kuklinski was remembered as an affectionate father, extremely kind to children. Each Christmas found the Kuklinski home festooned in colorful lights; each summer was a succession of block parties.

His family never suspected a thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:40 -0400)

Profiles the life of Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski, his thirty-year career as an assassin for the Mafia, and his double life as a family man in the suburbs.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,141,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible