Phantom by Jo Nesbø

Phantom (2011)

by Jo Nesbø

Series: Harry Hole (9)

The Snowman by Jo Nesbø (ElizaJane)
    ElizaJane: At the least, start with this book. Then continue reading in order.
    The Bat by Jo Nesbø (Anonymous user)
    Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo (Anonymous user)

English (51)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (63)
I haven't read beyond this book in Nesbo's Inspector Harry Hole series. And I am now left to determine if there is another book in this series as quickly as possible. I devoured this incredibly suspenseful gift of a novel. (Audiobook is narrated by the incomparable Robin Sachs who, to me, is Harry Hole.) ( )
  MelissiaLenox | Jan 13, 2018 |
Harry, out of police work for a while now, and sober, returns to Oslo from Hong Kong to take on the only case that could get him out of retirement. His putative son Oleg, son of his former lover Rakel, has been charged with murder, and Harry is determined to prove him innocent.

This one focuses a lot on drugs and drug dealers, and a new drug called "violin" which is more pleasurable than heroin, although it is more expensive. Certain bad guys want to keep their monopoly on violin, and it all gets pretty gory and bloody. There's also a plot/subplot involving corruption in the Oslo police department--all very dark and dismal.

One heads up--this book ends on a cliff hanger, and in addition, many of the plot points in this volume carry over into the next Harry Hole installment. You won't want to wait too long before reading the next book, or you may forget some important plot points. (Or I would.)

3 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Dec 18, 2017 |
A little lackluster, but still solid. Typically insightful into the human condition, but a bit naive at times and not a particularly profound ending for such a memorable character. A few flourishes here and there, but Nesbo should have reached deeper ( he definitely has it in him!) ( )
  CORNFED | Jun 5, 2017 |
A thriller. It twists and turns like the death knife some Russian mafioso would stick in your belly.
You cannot put Phantom down. You cannot stop--just like with the drug everyone craves in Oslo, the mystery drug that starts with an "orgasm" (Nesbø's description) when you shoot it in your arm. Phantom acts slower. But keeps you up late.

The whole book is so much bigger than my get-up-groggy-and-hit-the-john life, the one that we all lead. The characters' lives would kill me in a day (It kills most of them too-but takes longer) -- Detective Hole, the Russian mafia and Mr. Dubai, the druggies on the street, even old soggy Norway with its shooting-gallery protuberance, the one built for the Oslo Opera House.

I had to go into detox for a couple of days, so I am putting down the book and reading a slow, plodder--the History of the British Empire. Then I go back and do a little Nesbø. I don't want to OD on it. ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
I was left a little ambivalent about this novel. Set in Norway, Detective Harry Hole returns from the Far East when he learns that his quasi step son, Oleg, is in jail facing a murder charge. Harry is convinced of Oleg’s innocence and before long finds himself enwrapped in conspiracies involving government, police, and a drug cartel. Harry has no problem ruffling feathers, and gets a rush from the police work, something that was missing from his life when he was away from Norway.

The novel was certainly gritty. It has a certain intensity to the writing. There were, however, a few things that brought it down in my opinion. First, was the slow pace that the story is written. There are a lot of wasted chapters and passages where little is happening, certainly not enough to maintain my interest. The second is that by and large, I didn’t care about the characters. Whether it was Oleg, or Gusto, the man that was murdered, or his girlfriend, Irene, these characters were all drug-addict losers and I really didn’t care one way or the other what happened to them. Therefore, the story lost much of its impact for me. The most ineresting aspect was the conspiracies involved, but even that was a common conspiracy that wasn’t very impactful as a result.

Carl Alves – author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 10, 2016 |
There are some readers who will feel such prose itself amounts to a petty crime. But even many of them will be helpless in the face of Nesbo's brilliant, breakneck plotting, which sends Hole back and forth across Oslo, unraveling an intricate series of clues about the city's drug trade and its police force, which is as corrupt as ever.

Three years have gone by since Harry Hole limped out of Oslo in a blur of drugs and booze. Now the ex-cop is back in town, clean and sober, and he’s on a mission. It seems that Oleg, the good kid of past Hole novels, has been nailed for a drug murder. Hole needs to clear the kid.

In the Oleg story, Nesbo expands even his generous concept of tangled narratives, and though it’s a matter of personal taste, the process of expansion seems to have produced more credible entertainment than the last couple of Hole books have presented.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

Jo Nesbø viser i «Gjenferd» hvilken virtuos forteller han er innen en sjanger som det nærmest er gått inflasjon i. Når man lukker boka etter drøye 450 sider har man lest noe som enkelt sagt kan ligne på en gresk tragedie i triviallitterær forkledning.
added by annek49 | editDagsavisen, Turid Larsen (Jun 9, 2011)

Harry Hole har sin niende inkarnasjon vært edru i tre år, han er i bedre fysisk form enn på lenge, mens psyken er der den alltid har vært og litt til; gråslitt, selvoppgitt og ridd av melancholiaens Hole spesial. Men; har du først kjøpt og slukt Harry Hole med hud og hår, er det akkurat så sliten han må være nå etter all julingen han har fått siden «Flaggermusmannen» i 1997.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Leif Ekle (Jun 9, 2011)

«Gjenferd» er en kriminalroman som innfrir på alle nivåer. Den er skrevet med engasjement, av en forfatter som tror på sin egen fortelling. Og som behersker to ting bedre enn noen andre samtidskrimforfattere jeg kan komme på. Det første er å bygge opp ytre spenning.
Det andre er å villede leseren når det kommer til det evige spørsmålet om hvem som har gjort det. Du kan prøve, men du har ikke en sjanse

Nesbø, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The squeals were calling her.
Skriken kallade på henne.

Determined to prove the innocence of a young man he helped raise, disgraced former cop Harry Hole embarks on an increasingly dangerous investigation linked to Oslo's most virulent street drug.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible