Phantom by Jo Nesbo

Phantom (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo

Member:rwt42
Title:Phantom
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages

Phantom by Jo Nesbo (2011)

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (ElizaJane)
    ElizaJane: At the least, start with this book. Then continue reading in order.
    The Bat by Jo Nesbo (Anonymous user)
    Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo (Anonymous user)

English (49)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (60)
A thriller. It twists and turns like the death knife some Russian mafioso would stick in your belly.
You cannot put Phantom down. You cannot stop--just like with the drug everyone craves in Oslo, the mystery drug that starts with an "orgasm" (Nesbø's description) when you shoot it in your arm. Phantom acts slower. But keeps you up late.

The whole book is so much bigger than my get-up-groggy-and-hit-the-john life, the one that we all lead. The characters' lives would kill me in a day (It kills most of them too-but takes longer) -- Detective Hole, the Russian mafia and Mr. Dubai, the druggies on the street, even old soggy Norway with its shooting-gallery protuberance, the one built for the Oslo Opera House.

I had to go into detox for a couple of days, so I am putting down the book and reading a slow, plodder--the History of the British Empire. Then I go back and do a little Nesbø. I don't want to OD on it. ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
I was left a little ambivalent about this novel. Set in Norway, Detective Harry Hole returns from the Far East when he learns that his quasi step son, Oleg, is in jail facing a murder charge. Harry is convinced of Oleg’s innocence and before long finds himself enwrapped in conspiracies involving government, police, and a drug cartel. Harry has no problem ruffling feathers, and gets a rush from the police work, something that was missing from his life when he was away from Norway.

The novel was certainly gritty. It has a certain intensity to the writing. There were, however, a few things that brought it down in my opinion. First, was the slow pace that the story is written. There are a lot of wasted chapters and passages where little is happening, certainly not enough to maintain my interest. The second is that by and large, I didn’t care about the characters. Whether it was Oleg, or Gusto, the man that was murdered, or his girlfriend, Irene, these characters were all drug-addict losers and I really didn’t care one way or the other what happened to them. Therefore, the story lost much of its impact for me. The most ineresting aspect was the conspiracies involved, but even that was a common conspiracy that wasn’t very impactful as a result.

Carl Alves – author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 10, 2016 |
Too disturbing for me to rate it higher. I really wish this series had a bit of sunlight. ( )
  rlsalvati | Jul 5, 2016 |
Nesbo has done it again. Written another excellent crime novel, with a cliffhanger ending that's left me desperate for him to write another! ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
Justice at any price! ( )
  stevebishop | Apr 2, 2016 |
There are some readers who will feel such prose itself amounts to a petty crime. But even many of them will be helpless in the face of Nesbo's brilliant, breakneck plotting, which sends Hole back and forth across Oslo, unraveling an intricate series of clues about the city's drug trade and its police force, which is as corrupt as ever.

Three years have gone by since Harry Hole limped out of Oslo in a blur of drugs and booze. Now the ex-cop is back in town, clean and sober, and he’s on a mission. It seems that Oleg, the good kid of past Hole novels, has been nailed for a drug murder. Hole needs to clear the kid.

In the Oleg story, Nesbo expands even his generous concept of tangled narratives, and though it’s a matter of personal taste, the process of expansion seems to have produced more credible entertainment than the last couple of Hole books have presented.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

Jo Nesbø viser i «Gjenferd» hvilken virtuos forteller han er innen en sjanger som det nærmest er gått inflasjon i. Når man lukker boka etter drøye 450 sider har man lest noe som enkelt sagt kan ligne på en gresk tragedie i triviallitterær forkledning.
added by annek49 | editDagsavisen, Turid Larsen (Jun 9, 2011)

Harry Hole har sin niende inkarnasjon vært edru i tre år, han er i bedre fysisk form enn på lenge, mens psyken er der den alltid har vært og litt til; gråslitt, selvoppgitt og ridd av melancholiaens Hole spesial. Men; har du først kjøpt og slukt Harry Hole med hud og hår, er det akkurat så sliten han må være nå etter all julingen han har fått siden «Flaggermusmannen» i 1997.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Leif Ekle (Jun 9, 2011)

«Gjenferd» er en kriminalroman som innfrir på alle nivåer. Den er skrevet med engasjement, av en forfatter som tror på sin egen fortelling. Og som behersker to ting bedre enn noen andre samtidskrimforfattere jeg kan komme på. Det første er å bygge opp ytre spenning.
Det andre er å villede leseren når det kommer til det evige spørsmålet om hvem som har gjort det. Du kan prøve, men du har ikke en sjanse

Jo Nesboprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The squeals were calling her.

Determined to prove the innocence of a young man he helped raise, disgraced former cop Harry Hole embarks on an increasingly dangerous investigation linked to Oslo's most virulent street drug.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,823,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible