A Hole in the Universe by Mary McGarry…

A Hole in the Universe

by Mary McGarry Morris

The characters in this book are so real, it feels as though you know them. I listened to this story on CD. There is a lot of bad language in it, but mostly the same 4-letter word over and over, so it's not real bad. It fits the characters who use it that often and the story wouldn't be as vibrant without it. Don't let that stop you from reading this book. The author does an amazing job at making the people in the book believable with all their flaws. The range of characters is wide. I felt an array of emotions while listening, it's so true to life. There are unexpected turns in the story. You won't want to live near drug dealers or addicts after reading this. I loved this book for it's honesty and earthy reality. There are no movie stars in this book and yet it is riveting. The reader did an excellent job differentiating the characters. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
I grabbed this book off the shelf, expectations not too high, and was mesmerized by the story from page 1. Gordon Loomis went to prison at the age of 18 for a crime that he didn't commit. He committed a crime but not the one he was incarcerated for. It is now 25 years later, and Gordon has been released, released into a world that is unknown and scary. Gordon's parents died while he was locked up and left him his childhood home in their will, so that's where he decides he wants to live. Unfortunately, the nice neighborhood he grew up in has deteriorated into a semi-ghetto. Drugs are sold on the street in broad daylight. The elderly lady next door remembers him and the "incident" and hates him. The 13-year-old girl across the street, Jada, has trouble written all over her but is also crying out for someone to care about her. Gordon does have people on his side: his brother and sister-in-law and a friend from the old days, Delores, but they have their own baggage and agendas. Gordon's adjustment is very difficult and very realistic. There is no happily-every-after ending, but the reader is left with the hope that Gordon will make it after some hard-learned lessons. ( )
  CatieN | Oct 27, 2009 |
Story of a man who returens to his run down community after spending 25 years in prison for murder. Great characters. Well written and moving. ( )
  Gary10 | Oct 29, 2008 |
I listened to the audio version and was immediately caught up in the characters' voices. They each have their own almost tragically appealing qualities. The underlying emotions of the interactions, as expressed by them as their thoughts, are truly painful. I enjoyed this book and unfortunately, was being a little childlike in my wish for a "happy, happy ending." Instead, with some reflection, I think it was exactly the right ending. ( )
  nyiper | Sep 5, 2008 |
I don't remember much about this book. I read it right after back surgery. I was a bit looped up on meds. What I do remember about the book, I liked...at least I think so. ( )
  Djupstrom | Apr 21, 2008 |

Readers and critics have been enchanted by Mary McGarry Morris’s unforgettable characters and masterly use of suspense in her four earlier novels, including the bestselling Songs in Ordinary Time. In her latest tour de force, Gordon Loomis returns to a changed world after twenty-five years in prison. His old neighborhood is blighted by drug dealers; his brother is eager to help but is too caught up in his own life; his loyal friend Delores makes him realize that he’s just as afraid of relationships as he is of going back to jail; and his inherent decency draws the attention of a hungry child whose survival threatens the fragile balance that is Gordon’s freedom.

Compelling and taut, suspenseful and compassionate, A Hole in the Universe will continue to resonate long after the last page is turned.

On the web: http://www.marymcgarrymorris.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

"After twenty-five years in prison for a senseless juvenile murder, Gordon Loomis returns to a changed world. His old neighborhood is blighted by drug dealers and neglected property. His brother, Dennis, a successful oral surgeon, tries to help but is torn by his own fears and failings. Gordon's persistent visitor, the flamboyant Delores Dufault, yearns to be part of his new life, but he is as afraid of relationships as he is of being sent back to jail. Also drawn to Gordon's decency and vulnerability is thirteen-year-old Jada Fossum, an unloved child of the streets. Her desperate struggle to survive threatens the fragile balance that is Gordon's freedom."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,351,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible