The Shadow Within by Jenine Wilson

The Shadow Within

by Jenine Wilson

I really enjoyed this book and think it would help children going through their parents divorce. I do wish the teenager was not more grown up than her parents and that they gave her more reason to be . I wonder if there will be a part 2? I will be reading it if there is. ( )
  kandamowbray | Jan 28, 2010 |
Reviewed by Karin Perry for TeensReadToo.com

Jessie Connor is a senior, and not a very popular one at that. Reece and Amber are the two that give her the most trouble. They constantly call her names, prevent her from opening her locker when she does go, and basically makes her life at school miserable. Luckily she has one true friend that makes school manageable. Annie and Jessie have been friends since the fifth grade even though they are complete opposites. Where Jessie is plain with untreated brown hair, Annie has a pierced lip and short, spiky, purple hair.

Jessie's uneventful life gets turned upside down when she clumsily falls into the arms of Wesley Peterson. Even though he has attended the school for months, Jessie can't recall ever seeing him. Once she officially meets him she can't take her eyes off of him. She notices he even sits across from her in science class. Eventually, they start eating lunch together and become much closer. The one strange thing she notices about him is that no one seems to remember who he is. Teachers in the classroom don't remember if he was in class and students don't remember him after he has walked away. Jessie is the only one who seems to remember him from day to day.

Once Wesley realizes that Jessie is special, he decides to tell her the truth about himself and introduce her to his brother. It turns out Wesley and his brother Brian are from another dimension. They were sent to Earth by their mother to avoid the dangers of their world. The problem is, some of the danger has followed them to Earth. Jessie, Wesley, and Brian will have to work together in order to survive.

THE SHADOW WITHIN is a real page-turner. Jenine Wilson does a spectacular job writing about high school life. The way she blends fantasy with the real world is done so smoothly that you can almost believe there are good-looking guys from other dimensions walking around on this planet. Once you start reading, you won't be able to put it down--and when you are finished, you'll be asking for more. ( )
1 vote GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
this was an OK book. It was an interesting read, but not my style. The story was creative and interesting, but choppy at points. I felt there could've been more character and story development. The only information we recieved was what was vital to the plot, and more depth would have been nice. Overall, good writing except for a few confusing parts. ( )
  AspiringAshley | Aug 27, 2009 |
I got this book through ER. The cover looks to have been hand drawn/painted. I was able to skim it before I had to leave on vacation the next day and it promises to be an interesting read.
  TienSingh | May 7, 2009 |
The characters and story are interesting. It is important to keep in mind that this is a YA book. Jessie is a high school student dealing with issues any might face. And those issues are important to the overall book. Jessie's dad is having an affair, her mom has turned to alcohol for comfort... Other issues include divorce and bullying. It's the paranormal aspect on top of this that really adds that extra spark. Wesley Peterson and his brother are different—hard to believe though it is. And something evil has followed them into Jessie's world.

Pros:
~ Interesting characters and story.
~ Appropriate for audience. Gives a high school perspective and includes issues teens might encounter (affairs, alcohol abuse, divorce, bullying, sportsmanship).

Cons:
~ I did feel the writing was a little clumsy at points. Not the grammar, that was fine. My issue was more with the flow as I read it.
  JoBook | Apr 14, 2009 |
Dedicated to my Mom and Dad
Who have always believed in me
The halls of Leeland High were packed with teeming bodies heading in all directions, trapped between the brick walls covered in orange lockers and the white sheetrock housing classroom after classroom.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jenine Wilson's book The Shadow Within was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jenine Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,373,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible