Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel…

Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (edition 2011)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:AllisonKraft
Title:Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:Bantam (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages

Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich

English (111)  Piratical (1)  All languages (112)
A few years ago, I bought a ridiculous number of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books at a library sale. (It was one of those big-bag-of-books-for-five-bucks deals, and I went a little nuts.) This one, finally, is the last of them. Not the last one to be published, by any means, but the last one I owned. And I am glad to finished with them. Honestly, the only reason I kept reading through this series this long was out of some sort of stubborn completism. Well, that, and the fact that if I needed something to read when my brain was completely fried after a week of night shifts, they were incredibly undemanding and easy. But by this point, mostly just the stubborn completism. They started out as good, dumb fun, gradually became less fun and more dumb, and finally degraded all the way down to boring. After eighteen-plus of these novels, it's hard to blame Evanovich for running of out ways to make the formula these novels inevitably follow interesting or entertaining, and, I think, equally hard to blame me for being tired of the formula itself. Either way, I'm done with them now.

Having finally finished with them, I was hoping for some feeling of accomplishment or relief, or maybe even of going out on an interesting note (even if it might have been interesting in a bad way). But there's not really much of any of that. This book was on my TBR shelves, and now it's going onto my read shelves, and whatever happened in-between those two things was entirely forgettable. Not especially good, not notably bad, just forgettable. ( )
  bragan | Aug 23, 2018 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
A little darker than usual
PLOT OR PREMISE:
While on a flight back from a trip to Hawaii with both Ranger and Morelli (it's complicated), Stephanie's seatmate gets whacked during a layover and everyone thinks Stephanie knows something
WHAT I LIKED:
While the lighter side of the Plum series is the main draw, it is nice to see that once in awhile it goes a bit darker. Stephanie has real bruises and knife nickmarks, and Morelli and Ranger had a knock-down drag-out fight, with Stephanie doing the dragging (it is only told as a past event, but still good even if you don't actually "see it").
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
As always, there are a few too many incompetents running around, and too many coincidences.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Jul 22, 2018 |
Stephanie Plum is back in action from a recent vacation that left her with a conspicuous tan line and a dead seatmate. Can she and her cast of misfits solve this crime? Of course, but it's a funny and bumpy ride. Evanovich is no Thomas Hardy, but you can expect the usual lighthearted antics and New Jersey stereotypes that you always get in the Plum novels.

Amy R. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This one has some tension...Stephanie's men are keeping their distance while she is being chased by killers and no one knows why. And then there is Lula and her new man. Always fun! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Jan 19, 2017 |
LMAO!! What else can I say! I love this series. I love that this is book 18 and I'm not tired of it at all! The new narrator for the audios is good too. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 24, 2016 |
At this stage of her prolific career, now up to 18 Stephanie Plum novels, Evanovich’s work is more about tweaking than writing. She’s got the basic plot down pat. Now it’s a matter in each book of thickening or thinning the comic layers on Plum, the New Jersey bounty hunter. In the new book — it’s all about the mess resulting when Plum encounters a guy with a deep secret who gets murdered — Stephanie seems hornier than usual, even more conflicted between Morelli and Ranger, a touch less careful with guns, and freer with her enjoyably smartass mouth.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 14, 2012)

Janet Evanovich presents a new novel featuring bounty hunter Stephanie Plum.Stephanie's seatmate on Flight 127 from Hawaii never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he's dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. The FBI, the fake FBI, and guns-for-hire are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying. Only one other person has seen the missing photograph--Stephanie Plum.
added by daddyofattyo | editNew York Times

New Jersey was 40,000 feet below me, obscured by cloud cover.

Stephanie's a flake/
Gets married in Hawai'i/
Still banging both dudes

Before Stephanie can even step foot off Flight 127 Hawaii to Newark, she is knee deep in trouble. Her dream vacation turned into a nightmare, and she is flying back to New Jersey solo. Worse still, her seatmate never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he is dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. And a ragtag collection of thugs and psychos, not to mention the FBI, are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying. Only one other person has seen the missing photo,Stephanie Plum. Now she is the target, and she does not intend to end up in a garbage can. With the help of an FBI sketch artist Stephanie re-creates the person in the photo. Unfortunately the first sketch turns out to look like Tom Cruise, and the second sketch like Ashton Kutcher. Until Stephanie can improve her descriptive skills, she will need to watch her back.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,810,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible