Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum) by Janet…

Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum) (edition 2011)

by Janet Evanovich

1,531None4,790 (3.59)81
Member:mariomaz
Title:Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum)
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:Headline Review (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:CHESHIRE LIBRARY
Rating:*****

Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

2011 (20) 2012 (22) action (6) adult (6) audio (13) audiobook (11) bounty hunter (45) chick lit (12) comedy (10) cozy mystery (7) crime (14) detective (6) ebook (20) fiction (99) hardcover (7) humor (86) Janet Evanovich (6) Kindle (10) library (8) mystery (166) New Jersey (35) read (24) read in 2011 (14) read in 2012 (15) romance (25) series (23) Stephanie Plum (87) Stephanie Plum Series (13) thriller (6) to-read (15)

This was an interesting book of which is my first from Janet Evanovich. It kept my attention the entire book. I liked the way the story was told; injecting humor in a book filled with damsel in distress and vigilante situations. Lulu and Stephanie Plum were described in great detail so it was easy to fall in love with them and their quirks. Considering this is number eighteen in a series, I thought I'd be a little lost with the book's development, but the author did a great job on filling in the history of the characters and how it led to their current situation. On the whole, the main mystery wasn't completely complex and turned out to be a bit of a disappointment in the end but I would absolutely consider reading other books by Janet Evanovich, especially her Stephanie Plum series. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Have to say these books are all about the good the bad and the ugly. I just can't stop reading. Evonivich fan through it all. ( )
  Bre_Dragon | Feb 23, 2014 |
I fully admit that I'm a pretty "easy grader" when it comes to book reviews. Now that I read just for pleasure if I find the characters engaging and story entertaining I'll give 4 or 5 stars just for sheer enjoyment, even if the book isn't a literary masterpiece. I say that because I was so disappointed with this book and my expectations were pretty low to begin with.

I was hoping we'd find out who she took to HI (and we do, but over 100 pages into it - so more stringing along), I was hoping we'd finally get a decision (sorry, nope) and I was at least hoping for some funny moments with Grandma or Lula. And no on that one too, there are situations that are supposed to be funny but it feels like everyone has become a caricature of themselves, and these were pretty broad characters to begin with. Lula shrieks, shoots things and wears outrageous outfits. Grandma talks about becoming a cougar (2 years too late that that lame joke) and goes to a viewing. In new developments, Grandma did not disrupt the viewing so that's a change. And it's about the only one.

I also dread where I think this is going a couple of hints were dropped that Stephanie had a "birth control glitch" in HI (I'm assuming with Ranger) and a couple of people ask if she's pregnant for no reason at all. My guess for the next book is that she seems to settle with Morelli but then has baybee drama with Ranger. Blech.

I hate to bring economics into a book review, but if this were a $3 novella from an e-publisher I'd probably be OK with it. But to spend hardcover $s 2x a year and get nothing new, no way. I wasn't that foolish twice this year, I got this one from the library. So 2*s because it's certainly readable, and I usually reserve 1 *s for DNFs. I'll probably keep reading, it only takes a few hours to get through one of these, but it will be library only, no spending my hard earned $s.

CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
My advice to Stephanie Plum: just make up your mind. I can't believe I am still reading this series...it's just more of the same book after book, and yet I will read the next one. It's hard to turn away from a trainwreck. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
At this stage of her prolific career, now up to 18 Stephanie Plum novels, Evanovich’s work is more about tweaking than writing. She’s got the basic plot down pat. Now it’s a matter in each book of thickening or thinning the comic layers on Plum, the New Jersey bounty hunter. In the new book — it’s all about the mess resulting when Plum encounters a guy with a deep secret who gets murdered — Stephanie seems hornier than usual, even more conflicted between Morelli and Ranger, a touch less careful with guns, and freer with her enjoyably smartass mouth.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 14, 2012)

Janet Evanovich presents a new novel featuring bounty hunter Stephanie Plum.Stephanie's seatmate on Flight 127 from Hawaii never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he's dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. The FBI, the fake FBI, and guns-for-hire are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying. Only one other person has seen the missing photograph--Stephanie Plum.
added by daddyofattyo | editNew York Times

New Jersey was 40,000 feet below me, obscured by cloud cover.

Stephanie's a flake/
Gets married in Hawai'i/
Still banging both dudes

Before Stephanie can even step foot off Flight 127 Hawaii to Newark, she is knee deep in trouble. Her dream vacation turned into a nightmare, and she is flying back to New Jersey solo. Worse still, her seatmate never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he is dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. And a ragtag collection of thugs and psychos, not to mention the FBI, are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying. Only one other person has seen the missing photo,Stephanie Plum. Now she is the target, and she does not intend to end up in a garbage can. With the help of an FBI sketch artist Stephanie re-creates the person in the photo. Unfortunately the first sketch turns out to look like Tom Cruise, and the second sketch like Ashton Kutcher. Until Stephanie can improve her descriptive skills, she will need to watch her back.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible